• @ZenGrrrl:

My Ziggy has picked up a new habit: eating mud! It gives him terrible diarrhea (which doesn't seem to bother him but keeps ME sleep-deprived, as he has to poop during the night, and I have to get up and clean). Does anyone else see this weird mud-eating behavior? 😕

Eating mud/dirt may mean that he's trying to calm his stomach. When Pepper was at the end of kidney disease–she started eating dirt/rocks/etc. It was because she had an upset tummy. I think there is sometimes an underlying cause when they eat dirt. He may need some medication for tummy upset, or he may have some kind of illness.

• That was my first thought, although I was reluctant to tell "my" story because it has a sad ending.

The only time I've ever had a dog start eating mud, which also resulted in diarrhea, she was diagnosed with a large cancerous abdominal tumor and had to be put down.

I think I'd take him in for a health check – could be serious or not, but it's sure not worth the risk.

• @JazzysMom:

I think I'd take him in for a health check – could be serious or not, but it's sure not worth the risk.

Right–it may not be anything serious--but best to be on the safe side.

• I dont know if its that healthy or not but i give pilot uncooked pieces of hot dog once in a while and he loves it.

• Sometimes anemia also makes them want to eat dirt and mud.

• Sawyer and Wyatt both like to eat grass and other plants in the yard. I had to get rid of several of my house plants because they were not good for dogs. They also love fish. I put a spoonfull of salmon into thier dinner everynight and they love to go fishing with us to try and steal the discarded bits.

• My EL D likes anything on my dinner plate, especially chicken! Won't touch fruits or veggies but my vet said to give him some cooked pumpkin or sweet potatoes for fiber, which he does eat.

My previous beasty used to like to eat fresh strawberries from my garden. At first I couldn't figure out why the patch was always flattened and mashed and then once I caught him in the act - munching happily on the fresh strawberries!

• @wizard:

My EL D likes anything on my dinner plate, especially chicken! Won't touch fruits or veggies but my vet said to give him some cooked pumpkin or sweet potatoes for fiber, which he does eat.

My previous beasty used to like to eat fresh strawberries from my garden. At first I couldn't figure out why the patch was always flattened and mashed and then once I caught him in the act - munching happily on the fresh strawberries!

I think I've mentioned here before that both my B's love to pick the blueberries off my bushes. It's so cute to watch them, carefully, oh! so carefully, pulling each little berry off; spitting out the green ones, and eating the blue.
    Kind of irritating too,though because I lose a lot of green berries!

Gypsy, my golden mix, also picks snow and green beans peas off the vines.

• I forgot to mention that my previous basenji loved to eat rabbits that he caught and muskrats. (I did my best to get those away from him)

• @wizard:

I forgot to mention that my previous basenji loved to eat rabbits that he caught and muskrats. (I did my best to get those away from him)

Oh. ew.

We have found one or two squirrel carcasses in the yard over time, but I'm not sure who's killing them. Gypsy has in her youth, but I'm not sure she has the eyesight or speed for that anymore, so it's probably one of the Basenjis. Grosses me out!

I know they'd both like to make lunch out of my cats.

Suggested Topics