• @vasmith26 said in Meeting a Basenji:

Please read the "Zande Put Off" on Sally Wallis' page. Her kennel name is Zande and she and her husband, Marvin, have produced many of the best basenjis in England. I read the "put off" and got my first basenji anyway

Big THANK YOU for that !

I need to rewrite it, along with Survival of the Fittest and all the other stuff on that website but I simply don't have time with the database taking up so many hours each week...

OK, it didn't put you off, vasmith26, but as long as it gave you something to think about, it worked !

• @debradownsouth I would also add, that just as within the breed there are variations / personalities (just as there are amongst different breeds), their environment also makes a huge difference. Ultimately my dogs share some traits and habits, no doubt because they adapt to me and my environment. The greatest Basenji compliment ever was when my breeder Jean Martin came to my house to check out the new puppy’s home when I had Suzy for a few months. I used freeze dried liver treats and we were in the back yard. I commanded both dogs sit and then lay down for them, which they did perfectly. Jean said “my goodness you do have them both well trained”.

• @dagodingo
    You are absolutely right! I can READ my Basenji and know exactly what she's thinking but she can also read me. I think back 12 1/2 years ago when I first got her - in the first two weeks she was able to take off on me where I was chasing her around the neighborhood - it has NEVER HAPPEN SINCE - as I had to become SMARTER than her. It definately takes a different kind of mind-set when dealing w/ a Basenji. I did take my basenji to doggie school which I feel was extremely beneficial- it trained ME how to deal w/ her- lol. Keeping them active is so important - I walk my dog three times a day for a total of 3-5 miles per day. This keeps her stimulated, active, and out in the fresh air. I would hate anyone not to experience the love and satisfaction of having a Basenji but I think they must understand the work and commitment of owning such a a regal breed. It's not fair to the dog unless you're willing to give 110%!

• @eeeefarm Love these photos!

• @giza1 I was not assuming anything. She stated that she had seen a Dog on the Internet and based upon that she wanted to get one. I wanted to be sure she did her homework as these little Homewreckers are quite a handful for those that have no experience with them. I would hate for her to get a Puppy and not be able to deal with all the Stubborn, Take No Prisoners, Refusal to Negotiate aspects of the breed. All of that is exactly why I love the Breed. I had mine for 16 years and we went on a lot of adventures together.

They are Fabulous Dogs for those who can deal with that Personality!

🙂

• @eeeefarm Not only was your Dog gorgeous but the Horse is too! You are clearly a fantastic Animal Steward! Continued happiness for you and yours!

🙂

• @antigone said in Meeting a Basenji:

@giza1 I was not assuming anything. She stated that she had seen a Dog on the Internet and based upon that she wanted to get one.

He didn't say she saw one and wanted it. He said "found out about Basenjis online and fell in love. " Found out about, and likely researched. I had never personally met a Samoyed when I decided they were a good fit. Yes, I knew people with them, but our decision was made from researching and reading and discussing with owners and breeders.

They wisely want to meet them.

Nothing in the post indicates her level of experience... so yeah, you made assumptions. And from that told them not to get a basenji.

• @debradownsouth I did no such thing. Seeing a Dog or any animal on the Internet is not enough info to just think the animal is for you. I said to do their homework and research the Breed. After they do the research then they can make an informed decision. How many of these Dogs end up as Owner Surrenders in Rescue? Chew on that for a minute and recall that inexperienced people usually dump the Dog.

• @antigone said in Meeting a Basenji:

@debradownsouth I did no such thing. Seeing a Dog or any animal on the Internet is not enough info to just think the animal is for you. I said to do their homework and research the Breed. After they do the research then they can make an informed decision.

Yeah, you did :::@antigone said in Meeting a Basenji:
    I would tell her to not get a Basenji as it a not a good idea. She can look for another Breed which may be more appropriate for her level of experience.::

How many of these Dogs end up as Owner Surrenders in Rescue? Chew on that for a minute and recall that inexperienced people usually dump the Dog.<

Basenji rescue has a really limited number of dogs, in fact. Older dogs, sick dogs, not many young ones. While it could be many who surrender dogs in general may be inexperienced, I find no research and it isn't my experience. People who view pets as throwaways dump their pets.

• I must agree that naive, first-time wanne-be owners need to do deep, extensive research. Basenjis are supremely unique and definitely not a good choice for a "beginner."
    I adopted an 18-month old 3/4 Basenji (other 1/4 is Min Pin, yet another quirky little breed, with some "bad" similarities to B's). I was somewhat familiar with B's, but not even a little bit of "enough!!" Gosh, Izzy-Bella was a piperoo!! A little 18 pound bundle of energy, destruction, and escapism. BUT, I have always loved bad boys (9 years working in a high school), so a little bad girl was a sort of delight. But, again, it takes many years before these dogs mellow out and mature and maximize their amazing intelligence. Izzy is SO SO smart: her early unbridled destructiveness has pretty much ended, and now, at ten years old, she amazes us every day with her intelligence, innate understanding, observational skills, language acumen, and comedic skills. And at ten years old, she acts like a three year old! I hope this means she will live forever.
    Once you have bonded with a Basenji, you are probably done and gone. But
    first-timers REALLY need to do their research and homework.
    Someone referred to entrusting their dog
    to a family member. I would entrust my B to nobody except a bona fide Vet hospital/kennel, with big-time fences and enclosures, B's are exceptional diggers-under-fences and escape artists. And a Number One cause of
    death for them is traffic. Their prey instinct sends them careening into
    traffic. Dumber than deer.
    But, bottom line: do your due diligence Basenji research, and understand early on that these dogs are singularly unique: indescribably destructive; escape artists; independent thinkers and behaviorists; smarter than you can even begin to imagine (I swear my Izzy understands everything I say and reads my mind!); and prepare to have lots of tissues on hand as auxiliary food, because apparently, Basenjis require wood pulp
    projects to prosper!! I don't get it.

Suggested Topics