• Apart from specific medical issues: have you considered fresh meat? I believe that - barring allergies and the like - meat and bones is best for them. It builds their intestinal flora and that's where the immune system has its foundation.
    Other than that, it might be a parasite or something.
    On both issues, we found that regular vets have little to offer: most of them (at least over here) oppose meat (imagine, for a dog!) and as for internal treatment, it's anti-biotics or prednison, just to see whatever works.
    We take our B's to a holistic vet, with a more subtle repertoire of diagnostics and therapeutics.
    All the best!!

• Duplicate post as my mind is a sieve and I forgot I had already posted on this… but the other is better worded 🙂

• First Basenji's

@Rocky1:

I add a digestive enzyme to my B's food.I get it at the health food store.It's for people but
    I find it works great and is cheaper then the doggie kind.
    I feed grain-free food and also I feed Primal Raw.

just a quick comment on mixing kibble with raw….I feed raw and although I give a 'cookie' at before bed, I researched a lot before my decision a two years ago to switch to raw,(I buy human grade chix,meats, organs etc.... and the price is comparable to most high quality dog kibble) and there are different enzymes in their stomach to digest the different food types. I never have read that it is recommended to mix kibble and raw. It takes longer to digest the kibble, where raw is assimilated easily in the stomach. anyway, there are forums to read and much info out there. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/04/15/raw-food-diet-part-3.aspx

• Buddy Pal, I believe the current thinking is that kibble and raw at the same time is not ideal, but if you feed raw for one meal and kibble for the other meal, should be OK. I know a number of people that do this

• First Basenji's

@tanza:

Buddy Pal, I believe the current thinking is that kibble and raw at the same time is not ideal, but if you feed raw for one meal and kibble for the other meal, should be OK. I know a number of people that do this

well, why would they feed one meal raw and the next kibble? If you would kindly look at Dr Becker's site that I have embedded in the previous response, maybe it will answer why I see the logic and the physiology of keeping to one kind of food…..just me, but it makes sense.

• @mtins:

The vet looked at his chart today, and said that she suspects that Loki may be part of the small percentage of dogs that get intestinal problems from a grain-free diet, and gave us a bag of Iams Veterinary Intestinal Plus/Low Residue dry food to try for a week. ]

Dogs are predominately carnivores. Dogs do not need grain. What your vet said is really nonsense.
    Cara is a pukey dog as are a lot of the group (rescue from puppymill breeder). Their dx from different vets has been simply overproduction of acid. She used to throw up all the time... I put her on an antacid (generic pepcid or zantac) pills but some give Tums type... I feed 2x a day and give her a snack between meals and at bedtime. She might throw up once in 6 mos now.
    She is also, frankly, the most unstable dog I have ever owned and we have her on Prozac which has wrought miracles (she now will go out to potty with the ground wet and even light rain, whereas the previous 4 yrs of life was a living hell with the best compromise being regular fiber so she would at least poop on the porch instead of explode... and only 2 mild dog fights or attempts whereas very common issue before .).
    I say that so you can understand I get stressful dogs. Often before, stress would induce vomiting and sometimes diarrhea.
    As for questioning your vet... my best advice. You are the owner. You are the one paying the bills. You are the one responsible for your dog's health. If your vet cannot handle you saying "I really prefer to give my dog high quality food and no grains" then you need a new vet. Please understand that if your dog NEEDS a prescription diet (which my older one now does as she has kidney failure), then Hill Science or any Rx is what your dog needs. But otherwise, always try to go with superior ingredients and no grain. And also feel sure that if you spent the next couple of days researching dog food and nutrition, you'd be more up to date and informed that almost every vet who is NOT a nutritionist. Really.

• @Buddys:

just a quick comment on mixing kibble with raw….I feed raw and although I give a 'cookie' at before bed, I researched a lot before my decision a two years ago to switch to raw,(I buy human grade chix,meats, organs etc.... and the price is comparable to most high quality dog kibble) and there are different enzymes in their stomach to digest the different food types. I never have read that it is recommended to mix kibble and raw. It takes longer to digest the kibble, where raw is assimilated easily in the stomach. anyway, there are forums to read and much info out there. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/04/15/raw-food-diet-part-3.aspx

Mercola site should never be trusted ever. Full hooey. Do a google search for Mercola and lawsuits/hoax/etc.

In fact research has proven the "don't mix" (btw they had same nonsense for people meals) to be utterly without scientific basis. This is an excellent debunking, with more info (and pictures/xrays) than I needed. 🙂

http://therawfeedingcommunity.com/2015/01/08/digest-this-kibble-may-actually-digest-faster-than-raw/

• @Rocky1:

I add a digestive enzyme to my B's food.I get it at the health food store.It's for people but
    I find it works great and is cheaper then the doggie kind.
    I feed grain-free food and also I feed Primal Raw.

What do you get? I use probiotics but the animal ones are much cheaper that I have seen for those. Would like to find a digestive enzyme for Cara.

• @Buddys:

well, why would they feed one meal raw and the next kibble? If you would kindly look at Dr Becker's site that I have embedded in the previous response, maybe it will answer why I see the logic and the physiology of keeping to one kind of food…..just me, but it makes sense.

Maybe because Dr Becker is a quack? I could give you a dozen but ….

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/04/more-misleading-and-unethical-advertising-for-alternative-veterinary-medicine/

• Debra,
    I get my enzymes at the Vitamin Shoppe and they are there house brands.
    Before I started adding these to Diva's food she would throw up. Now, she eats better and no
    vomit. They have helped her put on weight and keep it on with less food.
    She eats about 1/2 cup of grain-free kibble in the morning and 4 or 5 nuggets of the Primal Beef at night.
    She weighs 20 lbs now and has kept her weight as before she only weighed 18/19 lbs.

• Thank you Rocky. Btw, in researching vitamins and supplements that pass analysis on whether they have what they say, I found Vitamin Shoppe OFTEN not only passed but top cost efficient. I'll look into them now. Any particular one you use?

• Hi all, not sure if you'll all see this since it's an old thread, but I figured I'd keep the story together. It's been about two months since this original post, and we're basically in the same spot. We went along and fed Loki the Iams Vet stuff for about 4 weeks, and it actually did help. His stools went back to normal, so we were prepared to suck it up and just keep him on that food.

That is, until he stopped eating it. It got to the point where he would go a full day without eating (so stubborn). The only way he'd eat is if we mixed it with a tiny bit of peanut butter. Knowing that wasn't a permanent solution, we went out about two weeks ago and picked up a bag of Nature's Variety "Prairie" chicken and brown rice flavor. It's high in fiber, so we had been told by other pet owners to give it a shot. Two days ago, Loki stopped eating this new food again. So, again we're mixing peanut butter into it to at least get something in his system.

He is still struggling with bowl movements. On any given walk, he'll have one bout of diarrhea, followed by squatting and pushing so hard, I can see how red and enflamed his rectum is. I feel so bad. We're at the beginning of week 2 with this. Tomorrow, I call the vet. Again. This is getting so frustrating, and I feel so bad for my pup! 😞

• I would be looking at getting a second opinion at this point. Have you ever tried a dehydrated food? Or for that matter a canned food? IMO, the processed dry foods are the most unnatural thing you can feed.

• I'm calling around today to see if there's another local vet who could listen to the history and give me another opinion. I've seen dehydrated food before - is there a specific brand that everyone prefers?

• First Basenji's

If there is straining, how positively sure are you that he may not have a 'partial' obstruction in the bowel somewhere? When I first got Uzie, he had indiscriminately swallowed a tail to one of those unstuffed toys….he was able to eat food, but finally the truth came out (quite literally) and the biggest hairball I ever saw!!!! surrounded by food was the tail!!!! Gross, but was I so relieved. can't believe what a dogs' digestive tract can accomplish.....btw: not going to comment on mixing raw and kibble. everyone can do what they want.................

• I am 90% sure there is no obstruction, as his first poop of the morning is usually mostly formed. But I managed to get a 3pm today with a new vet, so I'll be sure to bring that up, too.

• Be sure to talk to the Vet about EPI or IPSID (read about it at https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index…166&Itemid=292). Also Giardia, testing for it doesn't always pick it up. I had a male that after more than a year of picky eating/loose/diarrhea bowels, we finally treated him for Giardia (that never showed up with testing. Finally after a course of antiboitics and two wormings with Pancur… he had normal eating habits and bowel movements.

I don't remember, but did you discuss with the breeders?

• @tanza:

Be sure to talk to the Vet about EPI or IPSID (read about it at https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index…166&Itemid=292). Also Giardia, testing for it doesn't always pick it up. I had a male that after more than a year of picky eating/loose/diarrhea bowels, we finally treated him for Giardia (that never showed up with testing. Finally after a course of antiboitics and two wormings with Pancur… he had normal eating habits and bowel movements.

I don't remember, but did you discuss with the breeders?

I just got back from the new vet. She said that she doesn't suspect the conditions you listed above due to the lack of symptoms, but actually suspects that Loki may have a chicken allergy. I didn't realize it until I put all of it on paper, but every food we've fed Loki the last year and a half has been "Chicken and xyz" flavor. So, she put him on Natural Balance grain free venison and sweet potato flavor, along with one capsule of Metamucil a day. She wants him on this for 6 months to see if this breaks the cycle. She also said to keep track of when he gets diarrhea again, and how long it lasts, and to call her when it happens. If he's still getting sick, then she wants to run blood panels to check for IBD or anything more serious, as well as putting him on an elimination diet. She did stool tests and a thorough physical exam, and said everything looked healthy. So, I guess here we go again!

And yep, I asked the breeder and she said that none of the other owners have reported this in their pups. She's also the one who feeds Purina Pro Plan.

• Would you mind sharing your Basenjis pedigree? And keep in mind that not all the symptoms may be present…. There is a bitch that I co-bred that did have a chicken allergy along with that IBD.... removing the chicken totally from the diet did help.... Did you every try worming with Pancur? Can't hurt...

• Not sure if this is the correct info, but the father is "Tommy," AKC GCH Khani's Katoomba, and the mother is "Jazz," AKC GCH/UKC GCH/mBRIS Marjani Notaviva. Loki's AKC registered name is Marjani Think Different, if that helps. He is from Marjani Basenji in Purcellville, Virginia, USA. If you need different info, I can try to find his AKC papers.

Suggested Topics