• It's with sad heart and many tears that I had to put down my beloved Aurora today. She was diagonised with bladder cancer in Jan. and it had already spread to her spleen. Over the weekend she started passing blood. I took her to the vet today. Vet determined that tumors were causing her to hemmorhage uncontrollably. I got an extra 6 weeks from giving her meds. and enjoyed everyone of those days. The vet was awesome she allowed me to come home get my other basenji male and bring him to the room while Aurora passed. The put her on the floor and we experianced her passing together. I hope it helps him with his greiving process. They were together 8 years. I adopted Aurora through BRAT at the age of 6 yr old. She was 14 1/2 yr old when she passed.

My will miss my sweet angel.

• Leki will be waiting for her at the bridge. So sorry for your loss.

• How very sad. I'm glad you got to have her for a little while longer.

• Oh GenMar, I've been wondering about Aurora since your post regarding her diagnosis. I am first and foremost happy you got an extra 6 weeks, such valuable time. I am truly sorry for your loss and grief and hope that you and your boy can cope with the loss, I'm sure she will be greatly missed. You made all the right choices for her, my heart goes out to your family.

• Sorry for your loss. Always get so sad(tears welling up in my eyes) when I come on the forum and see another pet has gone. It's the worst thing about owning a pet and does take time to get over the hard part and to start remembering the good stuff. Having recently had to put my cat Cleo to sleep at 7 I'm in the guilty phase of did I do the right thing , boy do we like to punish ourselves, if only our pets could talk. Sending hugs your way.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• When my chow/coyote was dx it had also spread. We only got 3 mos but every day was cherished. I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have a really wonderful caring veterinarian.

• I haven't found the words to reply to this thread, and perhaps it's because everything seems inadequate. Too many people are losing beloved friends lately. I'm so sorry for your loss. However long we have, it's never enough time.

• First Basenji's

So quick… but there's never enough time to prepare. 😞 I'm sorry... rest in peace.

• Thank you everyone for your kind words of sympathy and love. It's been a rough couple of days. My male basenji Cody who was her compainion for 8 yrs as well is greiving. Even though I took him with me when we put her down, he is very lonely. The first day or two he wanted nothing to do with me at all but last night he curled up in my lap and snuggled. It makes it harder that my husband has been out of town on business since early Monday morning, so there will be fresh round of crying tonight with my hubby comes home.

• Tears are brought to my eyes again…I feel so bad for Cody, despite seeing her pass it sounds like he is still confused and sad...as to be expected...glad he came to you when he was ready. Even tougher you didn't have yor husband with you and Cody during this time- I hope tonight you can grieve with him and take comfort in his presence and support. Oakley and I wish you all the best

• I'm so sorry to hear about Aurora. I know how that little extra time is such a gift, and I'm glad you were able to enjoy six more weeks with your sweet girl. Healing thoughts to you and Cody…

• I am so sorry for your loss, she had a wonderful life with you . Cody is sad just like you are, I would expect him to grieve for days or even weeks. I suggest a new activity, or longer walks in different areas, that helped mine when we lost Topper a couple of years ago. Hugs

Suggested Topics