• LOL Walter…. I agree.... big paper cut...

• You unfortunately can't do a lot except not fund a BYB. It is nice to see you are open minded about the situation though and want to do what is best for you. You don't want to take on a dog who may have health issues down the road. You will set yourself up for great heartbreak. I guess i can believe that she didn't want to keep the pup for another two weeks because it would eat into her profit, having to provide the little guy with more food and 'the hassle'. Your breeder is your best resource for information. If you can't talk to them or they don't want to take the time to help you out, you don't want to deal with that breeder. LOL that and she blatantly lied to you. It's ok it happens to the best of us. A good learning experience and you will definately know for next time! Take Care JJUDS.

• @tanza:

Here is another person you can try, she is off to shows right now but I know for a fact that she has a few young dogs (no puppies) that she would like to place and she is also a responsible breeder. Brenda Cassel and the link to her website is http://www.freewebs.com/signetkennels. She is in Ft Worth. She should be home on Tuesday or Wednesday

I am sure that you will find the "perfect" Basenji for you and your family! It will be a match made in heaven!

I contacted Signet Kennels and browsed their site, my husband is in love with the idea of an already-trained older dog. I'm in no rush, in the meantime, I will be gawking at everyone else's pictures! Thank you all so much for your help, I am truly grateful!

• http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/TX/TX-Toby.asp

What about this little guy. Says he looooves kids.

• @jjuds:

I contacted Signet Kennels and browsed their site, my husband is in love with the idea of an already-trained older dog. I'm in no rush, in the meantime, I will be gawking at everyone else's pictures! Thank you all so much for your help, I am truly grateful!

Like I said, Brenda is off to shows in Portland, Or, but should be home Tuesday or Wednesday. I can highly recommend any of her Basenjis!

• @krunzer:

http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/TX/TX-Toby.asp

What about this little guy. Says he looooves kids.

I hadn't seen Toby. He is a good-looking dog, I will have to look into him. The other two dogs posted for TX are as well, I've contacted BRAT about one of them, fingers crossed! I am fearful that they won't want to place a dog with our children. We have three children, a daughter that would fit the "respectful" criteria, but I also have two rambunctious boys that stay home with me!

• Being that he is a puppy this might work out because he would grow up with them. I would see what they say about him and you guys. Looks like he does like kids so it may not be a big issue? Good luck.

• @jjuds:

I hadn't seen Toby. He is a good-looking dog, I will have to look into him. The other two dogs posted for TX are as well, I've contacted BRAT about one of them, fingers crossed! I am fearful that they won't want to place a dog with our children. We have three children, a daughter that would fit the "respectful" criteria, but I also have two rambunctious boys that stay home with me!

I think that you will get a much difference response from Brenda and the young adults she has to place.

• Houston

Just to further bring this lady to your attention, the dogs I help take off her (for BRAT) hands last spring…because she wanted to start out with fresh breedings stock I guess (although she said to us that the puppies she was keepin would be fixed and kept as pets, LIAR)...one of them had to be put down for agression issues (he ended up biting his foster family so badly ER visits were needed, the other one was so afraid of humans it never got out of its crate when I went to visit...This poor example of a human is BAD news, NOT a nice person at all, especially promising not to have any more pups to BRAT so she could get rid of her "first breeding stock"...Shame on her and every one that enables people like her...They lived in crates in her kitchen, have you you've been there?
    )You should rethink your choice of breeders, there are definitely way better options available, one even not far from Houston in Montgomery, Terry and Bob Reed..Do the responsible thing, walk away and let's not help her make it possible to keep breeding these puppies by not supporting it and putting money in her pocket.

..oopps looks like you already are on top of it, sorry, I just saw Mary's name and went off, please forgive me for jumping the gun.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now..I just feel very passionately about this since I helped get two of her dogs out of her hands not many months ago.

I wish you best of luck..

• Basenjis make great running partners and I have several friends that bike with theirs. An adult is ready to exercise with you and might fit your lifestyle better. There will be a lot if breeders coming to the ft worth dog show in March, so you might be able to get one from out of the area delivered then. Many of us transport dogs for breeder friends too. I cashed in frequent flyer miles and picked up my 4 month old boy in NJ. Basenjis fit under the seat in cabin and Delta only charged me $50 to bring him home.

• First Basenji's

@Basenjimamma, what a heartbreaking conclusion to what should have been a 'rescue'… 😞 I am so sad to hear it, but I thank you for sharing. It does fill in some gaps.

JJuds, I think you're doing the right thing by walking away, and I commend you for your integrity. It is better to disappoint the kids now than to have to break their hearts later when they've bonded with the pup and something more serious happens, resulting in a need for more drastic measures than just saying 'no.'

• Let us know when you find another basenji that will be suitable to your situation. We all want you to be happy.

• Thank you Curlytails. We were very sad to pass up the puppy. It was our second disappointment in the process. Before we went on Christmas vacation, we were talking to an owner that wanted to find a new home for his basenji because he worked a lot and didn't have the time. Eventually he told me he couldn't part with his beloved, and I couldn't blame him. We have an inquiry on a dog through BRAT and are waiting to work out details with a home visit and whatever comes after that. I'm afraid our kids' ages may be an issue but we understand that they are only looking for the best home for the dogs and it may not be outs. We also contacted Signet Kennels and she has some older dogs that my hubby is really interested in, we are waiting to hear from her too. In the meantime, I am admiring everyone's pictures and laughing at some stories. Everything happens for a reason and our new love will come at the right time. 🙂

• I am admiring your character from across the ocean, and am feeling very confident you will find a Basenji to fit in your life. Even from your posts you seem adaptable, compassionate and patient, all very valuable skills in a Basenji parent. I think you will be well suited for the royal of B parent! Keep looking, I'm totally sure the forum and your contacts will get you the B your family is hoping for.

• @Basenjimamma:

..oopps looks like you already are on top of it, sorry, I just saw Mary's name and went off, please forgive me for jumping the gun.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now..I just feel very passionately about this since I helped get two of her dogs out of her hands not many months ago.

I wish you best of luck..

Thank you. I couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw the thread from last year. We knew we couldnt go through with it after all of that i am saddened that she is doing this again agter all that she currently has four adult dogs one is a basenji mix plus the puppies i winder if reporting ber agin to her HOA would do anything maybe a hefty fine will get her to stop? Anyway, I didnt have her phone number anymore so I told her through email that we wouldn't be buying the puppy after all and I have yet to hear from her. I'd really like to let her know WHY we backed out.

• Houston

We bought our girl from her and I'm glad we did, couldn't imagine her being the one used for breeding already… Out of her litter she was the only other girl besides the one they are currently breeding with....She is the sweetest most caring dog ever, makes me mad

• @Kipawa:

This breeder is less than responsible. :

Dear spirits, I love understatements.

• If you haven't found a puppy yet I am in Oklahoma and have a 12wk old Basenji/beagle mix. She was born in my home. Her father is a Basenji mother was a Beagle. She was going to be kept by me and due to some unexpected circumstances I have decided to find her a good home. Her mother is now living with a friend but her dad is with me 🙂 She's healthy and very sweet. She is pretty hyper and has a LOT of Basenji like qualities including looks and personality lol. She needs her 2nd set of shots but has had her first. I had to leave town due to family illness and missed the appointment for her 2nd set. Im in SW Oklahoma. You can call me if you'd like to know more. 580-492-4910. Im asking $50 for her.
    attachment_p_155910_0_keiko5.jpg
    attachment_p_155910_1_keiko4.jpg
    attachment_p_155910_2_keiko3.jpg

• If you decide to call me let me know who you are and that I contacted u here lol. Ive got a few ads up places for her. Im really trying to find her a good Basenji savvy home.

• @Anubis's:

If you haven't found a puppy yet I am in Oklahoma and have a 12wk old Basenji/beagle mix. She was born in my home. Her father is a Basenji mother was a Beagle. She was going to be kept by me and due to some unexpected circumstances I have decided to find her a good home. Her mother is now living with a friend but her dad is with me 🙂 She's healthy and very sweet. She is pretty hyper and has a LOT of Basenji like qualities including looks and personality lol. She needs her 2nd set of shots but has had her first. I had to leave town due to family illness and missed the appointment for her 2nd set. Im in SW Oklahoma. You can call me if you'd like to know more. 580-492-4910. Im asking $50 for her.

Aww. She is a total cutie and I would take her in a heartbeat. I love the video you posted of her climbing the fence not too long ago. Unfortunately, we can't take her. The hubs ter is still closed off to getting another dog right now. I'm not sure if you've read any of my other posts, but we lost our beloved Timmy after only having him for two weeks. Broke all of our hearts and he isn't willing to do it again just yet (another dog, not the heartbreaking part). Thank you for thinking of us though, best of luck.

Suggested Topics