Working Dog Basenji Pups Waiting list

• @sharronhurlbut:

So you had 6. Sexes and colors please.

Hi Sharron, We had five….three B/W boys and two dark brindle girls...

• Congratulations - I hope Mum and babies are well. They certainly look a healthy litter.

• Is there anything to the fact that the males are black and white and the females are brindle? Is that just a coincidence or is there something in basenji genetics that makes it that way?

<- basneji noob

• Just the way it goes…. color has nothing to do with genetics... but the interesting thing with multi colored litters is watching the way that that same colors will group... my first litter was 3 reds, 3 tris... the reds 2 males, 1 bitch would group and the Tris, 2 males, 1 bitch would group.. almost from day one

• I think Pat meant that color has nothing to do with gender though it has everything to do with genetics. The colors in basenjis are not sex-linked traits like you find in cats.

• So excited about this!! I have thought about the Basenji being the PERFECT working dog for a long time! Good luck to you and the pups! 🙂

• @Heidi:

Is there anything to the fact that the males are black and white and the females are brindle? Is that just a coincidence or is there something in basenji genetics that makes it that way?

<- basneji noob

Both males and females are black and white and both males and females are brindle in general, so yes it was a coincidence. 🙂

• Alrighty! The B pups are two weeks old and growing like weeds! The male with the solid face is the biggest and most active and actively seeks any new odor when sleeping if it is introduced to the area. He may be a very good scent dog. He is also a squealer when mom leaves. Here is a short video with more pics to come:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c64yEQu3hCo

• OFA just came back on Kaden for those who have an interest:

Hips Good
    Patellar-Normal
    Thyroid-No abnormality

• We weighed the pups today at and gave them some temp names.

Black Face Boy
    2 pounds 14.9 ounces

Lite Brindle Girl
    2 pounds 6.4 ounces

Dark Brindle Girl
    2 pounds 10.9 ounces

Black "C" Boy
    2 pounds 8.9 ounces

Black Flash Boy
    2 pounds 9.2 ounces

attachment_p_149872_0_black-face-boy.jpg
    attachment_p_149872_1_lite-brindle-girl.jpg
    attachment_p_149872_2_dark-brindle-girl.jpg
    attachment_p_149872_3_black-c-boy.jpg
    attachment_p_149872_4_black-flash-boy.jpg

• LOL Jeff…. Love the Priority box!!! Reminds me of a conversation that I had a few years ago with a person looking for a puppy. They wanted to know if I shipped FedX!!!!

• I had not thought of that when we did it! The boxes kept them contained for weighing! LOL…

• The Kaden/ Phoenix litter is really coming along, tails a' curling' and ears starting to perk up a bit. We have begun to test them on toys, trying to determine prey and hunt drive, along with retention, curiosity, and other qualities. This is a very nice litter and the pups show no signs of aversion or fear. They all have quite a desire to interact with people. There are a couple that look like great working dog prospects for any detector work or sport. This breeding was with nose and ability to work for man in mind and we are seeing a lot of what we would expect from a working GSD or other working breed litter. The last 70 pics were taken last night with the first introduction to the toys. Feel free to write with any questions and cheek out our company page if you want to see some of the work we do. Here is a link to our Flicker page:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38574466@N03/sets/72157628043348519

www.GAK9.com

Jeff

• Wow, just spent a lot of time reading all of the posts. Granted, I did a fast read, but I'll put my flack jacket on now. I am not a basenji breeder, nor am I a basenji expert, but I am definitely a basenji lover and someone concerned about the breed, and animals in general. Here are my comments (things that concern me).

1. No testing done PRIOR to breeding.

2. Initially thinking it was okay to x-ray puppies (hope I read that correctly, apologies if I didn't).

3. Often when there isn't something in the market yet, someone comes along with an idea to make money…. I think you get my drift. Someone else on this forum had a similar feeling.

4. I have never heard anyone on this forum refer to a dog as 'hot'. The word 'hot' in that context, used for any living entity seems kind of crass to me. A sports car is 'hot'. A dog is great, excellent, special, skilled.

5. I understand we all have to learn at some point, but you waited until you had a pregnant female basenji to find out about a whelping box? I guess the breeders I know on here more often than not were tutored by other breeders before they had their first litters, and then probably often had help with the first litter. Kudos to those of the folks on this forum who provided you with info.

6. Put me on the list of people who do not like e-collars. My opinion is that they provide a lazy way to train. What happens to your dogs if the e-collar doesn't work?

7. I think you should have initially posted under 'Classifieds' or the 'Sports Forum'. Again, just my opinion.

If there are comments, I welcome them, but as I don't like getting into back and forth unproductive posts, I may not answer. I'm the one who usually breaks up threads that get out of hand. Saying that, I do appreciate that this forum allows us to have a place to voice our thoughts and opinions, whatever our basenji breeding knowledge, hunting knowledge or basenji IQ (and our general IQ) is.

Your thread is, I believe, the first thread I have felt strongly enough to comment in the way I have. Maybe it's the antibiotics I am taking.

• Just a quick note, many of us xray a few days from the whelping date to "count" babies as best we can. That way you pretty much know when they are done…

My litter from 2000 was xray'ed and we saw 4 sets of bones... however there was a shadow so could have been 5. She had 4 within a space of 1 1/2 hours. Then 3 hours later the 5th. He had an exposed skull (not fully developed) so we lost that pup, but I may have not been on the lookout for a possible 5th without the xray.

• Pat, so sorry to hear about that pup from your 2000 litter. I suppose these kinds of things happen, though I hope rarely. 😞

Thanks for the info regarding the x-raying. I see that it makes sense you would want to know what to get ready for. Can ultrasound also be used effectively? Would it be as difinitive if looking for bone?

• So far, the black faced boy and the light brindle have the most drive and retention. All of the pups are pretty fearless. We are setting up a mini obstacle course for exposure. More pics soon.

• @Kipawa:

Pat, so sorry to hear about that pup from your 2000 litter. I suppose these kinds of things happen, though I hope rarely. 😞

Thanks for the info regarding the x-raying. I see that it makes sense you would want to know what to get ready for. Can ultrasound also be used effectively? Would it be as difinitive if looking for bone?

No, ultrasound is great at about 30 days (give or take) and even then not an exact count of possible pups, but xray is best for the "final" count. Ultrasound is getting better as the years go on, but I will stick with xray days before the due date.

And yes it was not a fun thing, happens more then you really hear about… but that is one of the things as a breeder you need to be ready for.... it happens... the sad thing about those kinds of pups is that that are typically born alive but you know that they are not viable.. and need to let them go

• @tanza:

And yes it was not a fun thing, happens more then you really hear about… but that is one of the things as a breeder you need to be ready for.... it happens...

I'm such a wuss when it comes to anything sad/cruel/horrible etc., when it comes to innocent life. I have to leave the living room or change the channel if a commercial comes on for animal shelters. I could never be a breeder. Seeing what you mentioned just once would do me in.

• Hi All,

Updated stack pics for our five week olds and some of our first obstacle tests. Dark brindle girl and C Boy rocked the tunnel:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38574466@N03/sets/72157628543236913

Suggested Topics