My red/white teenager is ready to move in with you! (San Diego, CA)

• Edit: Keeping Logan (See my last post in this thread).

• What about is breeder? Responsible breeders take back any pups they place when needed?

• He is a beautiful pup. Hope you can find a good home for him soon.

• Such a cutie! Hope he'll get a new forever home soon.

• ^Thanks guys.

@tanza:

What about is breeder? Responsible breeders take back any pups they place when needed?

Yeah, I messaged his breeder last night. When I first got him she said she takes them back if necessary. Still waiting for her response.

This morning my family said they could continue caring for him after I move. My dad and brother have a mild allergic reaction and we clean the house every other week; they would keep him only if he lives outdoors and can have another dog playmate (Logan is our only dog; I'm searching for an adoption as I type). Does anyone keep their Bs outdoors? Considering San Diego weather is close to ideal year round, our fences are high (he's not a jumper), and we would line the backyard so he can't dig out, can he live in a sectioned off area in our backyard with another dog? I'd think so if they've lived outdoors for centuries in Africa.

• Basenjis need their "people time". Physically, outdoors might work, but even with another dog for company (assuming they get along!) I don't see this as an ideal solution, unless it is short term. Are you returning or is this move permanent? Would someone spend several hours a day interacting with the dog?

• I discussed this more with my father. His idea is to setup a 10'x8' storage shed with dog door in a sectioned off area in the backyard. Whenever anyone in the family is home he will be taken indoors and also get daily exercise (usually my brother comes home at odd times on a college schedule). Logan will only be in that shed to sleep at night or when nobody is home during the day. I plan to visit the adoption center for Logan to meet a supposedly well-behaved, housebroken Tibetan Terrier female to be his candidate playmate. They will share that shed so he always has a pack member with him.

I have less than a month to ultimately decide what to do for Logan but this is a tentative plan that may just work!

• How is Logan's relationship with your father and brother? Will he be happy to be "their" dog? I think leaving him outside with a companion could work, but in your position I would see whether another suitable home placement is feasible unless either your father or brother really likes the dog well enough to want to put in the time necessary with a Basenji, i.e. do they really want to have a dog, or in this case two dogs to take care of for the foreseeable future?

• My personal opinion is that a Basenji would not do well as an outdoor dog, especially at night since they want to be with their human family, even with a "dog" friend

• @tanza:

My personal opinion is that a Basenji would not do well as an outdoor dog, especially at night since they want to be with their human family, even with a "dog" friend

Most of my Basenjis have been "bed dogs", but for a number of years my two girls shared the kitchen and a cozy cushioned box to sleep in when my older girl had some issues including some incontinence. Selfishly perhaps, I chose to have them sleep downstairs in the kitchen, and they actually did very well. I have memories of sitting on the stairs waiting for things to settle down so I could cover them both with a blanket before I tiptoed off to bed. On the "good" nights, they were still under the blanket in the morning. 🙂 I agree Basenjis are better off inside, but in the right climate and with a companion could probably "make do" with an outdoor situation (not really outdoor, since they would be in a shed), especially if no better solution is found.

• Why not surrender him to BRAT or the Medfly Brigade? They'll find him a home where he'll be cherished, not ignored in a backyard. Seriously, do it NOW…b4 a year or so with minimal attention messes him up, he forgets his housebreaking, becomes shy or agressive. He'll he'll be much happier and way easier to rehome.

• Who is the breeder? Nationals are starting this week so some people have already started their trip. It is possible that is why you have not received a response.

• Also, it really doesn't seem like a good idea to get ANOTHER dog under the circumstances–aren't you just going to be sticking your parents with two dogs?

• Please either place him with rescue or find a buyer for him. Not only would you be committing him to an outside dog, but the dog you get for him. It isn't fair.

• @lvoss:

Who is the breeder? Nationals are starting this week so some people have already started their trip. It is possible that is why you have not received a response.

Her name is Nichole. I don't think she regularly attends events but I've seen one record of Logan's dad (Indiana Bones) participating in an event.

@eeeefarm:

How is Logan's relationship with your father and brother? Will he be happy to be "their" dog? I think leaving him outside with a companion could work, but in your position I would see whether another suitable home placement is feasible unless either your father or brother really likes the dog well enough to want to put in the time necessary with a Basenji, i.e. do they really want to have a dog, or in this case two dogs to take care of for the foreseeable future?

He's happy with my dad and brother. My brother watches him the most when everyone's out working. I do the hygiene, training, pottying, cleaning, feeding, and exercise; my dad and brother sparingly help with pottying and walking. He lets out a few deep gurgles when either I or my dad comes home from work. My mom likes him when he's behaved; not so much when she sees his little furs around the house or chewed up door moldings and shoes. She's pro re-homing him just because of that. Ironically, the 3 who experience mild allergies (myself, my brother, and my dad, not my mom) are the ones who want to keep him.

I talked to a trainer and dog adoption center owner today and they were against leaving him out overnight because, like you all said, separation from the pack will have long term effects on behavior. I relayed this to my family and they agreed in keeping a dog indoors overnight (as is Logan's case right now). So the shed (which BTW is a ridiculous $2000 from Home Depot and looks like a guest suite) is a no-go.

But about Logan being happy as "their" dog… after laying out my demands on ownership, my dad and brother didn't seem enthused. They're not excited about attending the next level of puppy/owner training, taking him to dog parks, nor exercising him morning and night. Though they enjoy having him around and are willing to help out sometimes, I don't think they'll follow through with the same full care I give Logan. So looks like it will be a re-home. To those who messaged me with interest, I will respond.

On a positive note, today Logan eased into meeting some friendly boxers/boxer mixes, wrestled with a husky, and ran with a German shepherd and a Doberman after over a month of not going to the dog park since his neutering. Guess the fixing helped... this was the first time he wagged his tail at bigger male dog strangers!

• Kudos to you - it sounds like you've solicited a lot of advice and have explored all your options. It also sounds like you truly want what's best for Logan - he's a lucky dog to have someone watching out for his best interests. Good luck to you!

• It sounds like the only one who wanted this dog was you and now you can't keep him. It is not fair to make your family who did not want this responsibility take on this responsibility for you and it is definitely not fair to Logan for him to live in a household that does not want him. If you are unable to make a schedule work for you and him in Kansas City then you need to return him to his breeder or if she will not return your calls then contact rescue to help rehome him so he finds a forever home.

• With all due respect - I think some of you guys are being kind of hard on this guy. He is clearly trying to find the best solution for this dog. Circumstances have made it impossible for him to keep him and provide for him in the way that best meets the needs of this dog. Although I am usually the first to take issue with anyone who want to capriciously re-home a Basenji, I don't see any indifference to the well-being of this dog in this particular case. I think we should commend this owner for trying to find the best solution to his problem rather than make him feel like a heel for trying to do so. He has asked relatives, has looked into ways to make that work, has decided that they will not provide the best hone, has contacted the breeder (to no avail), has been contacted by interested folks on this site, and has considered turning him over to one of the rescue agencies. What more can the poor guy do?

• But he keeps trying to find ways to "make it work" so his family can keep him and as someone who has done rescue and had to go do the evaluations of dogs that were kept in households where they were not wanted by the majority of the household, this is not fair to the dog. If he cannot keep his dog, pawning that responsibility off on his family, who did not share in making the commitment to this animal, is not doing right by his dog. If the breeder isn't going to take responsibility then the needs to move forward with working with rescue to place his dog. BRAT or Medfly have both been recommended to him and both have already screened homes that are committed to life with a basenji not just with any dog. If he wants what is best for Logan then he should contact one of these basenji specific rescue organizations. The sooner he does so the better so it is more likely Logan will not have to transition from his home to a foster home then to a permanent home and instead can transition from his home directly to his new permanent home.

• @ Ivoss: I totally agree with EVERYTHING you said. But, it sounds like he DID realize that his family was less enamored with this dog that he was so he trying to find another home.If I missed something here, I apologize for my previous post, but after reading his posts it appears that it was made clear to him that his family would never provide the kind of home (training, etc) that he felt was needed so he was looking at other options. That was my take on it anyway, and Lord knows, I have been wrong int he past! LOL!

Suggested Topics