• I know negative reinforcement is the wrong way to deal with Basenjis (or any dog for that matter), but even when I simply say "No!" in a firm tone, my B thinks it's all a game and turns extremely playful, usually doing his play bow and running around. I just think it's comical, and truthfully I think he knows that, and that's why he does it anyways.

I'm trying to curb his jumping/nipping at times. Normally I ignore it (so he doesn't equate that with getting attention), but he nipped me when I wasn't watching so it caught me off-guard, instinctively thought to be firm with saying "No".

I thought it was a strange response and wanted to know if this is a common response from Basenjis. Such clowns they can be sometimes. :rolleyes:

• If he nipped you to initiate some play interaction then your "NO" means he has your attention, now lets play! It's hard to be angry with a clown, and hard not to play with them too.
    My first basenji would sneak around and nip us from behind than run off, I swear he was grinning as he looked back over his shoulder at us to see the response, it was a game he invented and enjoyed very much. He also thought his name was 'dammit Pete'.

• LOL Anne.

You may need to work on no bite/no teeth commands with this dog. I go on record as liking mouth play as long as they never ever leave even an imprint. But Cara only does it playing with me, not to get my attention.

In reality, I think a very FORCEFUL loud growly "NO" might be in order if the tone you uses elicits play. Then utter ignore.

• I have heard on this forum the term 'stand like a tree'. I take this to mean don't move or don't talk when this behaviour happens. If you do that often enough, I would think that he might give up this action, as he is getting no response from it.

• @Kipawa:

I have heard on this forum the term 'stand like a tree'. I take this to mean don't move or don't talk when this behaviour happens. If you do that often enough, I would think that he might give up this action, as he is getting no response from it.

That's what I've been working on. In fact, he does this primarily whenever I'm leaving, so I just keep walking without any response when he attempts to nip.

He's really good when he's simply playing. Doesn't bite down too harsh, and if he does, I'll do the old yelp routine and he responds great to that.

I just thought it was funny how he reacted when I did tell him "no", it's like they don't even care sometimes, but that's why I love the breed. 🙂

• I always relate "no" to… "No What?".... "you are joking, right?"

• Houston

I was told when I took both Otis and Pippin into obedience traing not to say NO as it is a word we use a lot everyday and dogs eventually just put the deaf ear to it (as does kiddos)…I was told to rather use a loudish hark sound or almost like a grunt, something they never hear from you unless they've done something wrong...you sound like an idiot, but it does get Pippin's attention..no in Pippin's book means "run around, jump on the bed, take mom's panties and run or yes, the trash is all yours"...i.e useless...:):D

• The main trouble with Basenjis and commands I find is that they are very nuanced to the thoughts behind the command.

• First Basenji's

@Kananga:

I know negative reinforcement is the wrong way to deal with Basenjis (or any dog for that matter), but even when I simply say "No!" in a firm tone, my B thinks it's all a game and turns extremely playful, usually doing his play bow and running around. I just think it's comical, and truthfully I think he knows that, and that's why he does it anyways.

I'm trying to curb his jumping/nipping at times. Normally I ignore it (so he doesn't equate that with getting attention), but he nipped me when I wasn't watching so it caught me off-guard, instinctively thought to be firm with saying "No".

I thought it was a strange response and wanted to know if this is a common response from Basenjis. Such clowns they can be sometimes. :rolleyes:

Ok, I have stopped laughing now!!! Yes, be glad you have a clown! Sounds deft but, an unanimated Basenji is only a sad or sick Basenji! The rest of the replies I ditto! It is common from all the reading I have had and experienced with my first when he was younger (But a clown is so cute! as long as it is not aggressive in context-but reallly!!! too funny):eek:

Suggested Topics