Meet Zeba- red/white girl from Georgia

• She is learning from your other Bs. I have found Bs to be quick learners and she will learn housetraining from them. She is probably watching the interaction between you and your family and the other Bs. I have found this to be true with my auction rescues.

Thanks for rescuing this girl!

Jennifer

• Patty M…your an angel! Thank you for this post. It shows that folks who have big hearts and time that they can help a basenji that is so in need.
    Hugs to you.

• Patty, quickly, as in from this second on, make the men in the house her ONLY source of food, hand fed. The men thing will be overcome quickly. 🙂

I never agree with paying byb/pm. But what you paid truly covered her vet bills so the pos didn't get a profit. You done good. 🙂

• Debra's right..hands only give good things.

• Patty is a saint! I'm sorry my leads didn't work out for Zeba, still looking. It sounds like she will learn to be a pampered house-basenji with a bit of effort!

• First Basenji's

It is clear that she is going to have a better life ahead. Lucky Zeba! And thank you, Patty, for trying to do right by this pretty girl even when her first home failed her.

• Thank you Patty for rescuing a beautiful girl! Zeba is so fortunate you came into her life 🙂 She is beautiful and I can't think of another person who can teach her that humans are here to love.

For those of you who don't know Patty, I am proud to say she is my little sister and my best friend in the world 🙂 She's been rescuing animals her whole life, from the age of 10 when she attempted to rescue a field mouse from the mouth of her cat, to the age of (#%X) and she rescues Zeba from a horrible start in life. In between there were countless others, the German Shepard left in a dorm room at college, the Border Collie "Angel", Buddy the pet store dog who needed to be bought from the mall to free him from the awful cage, the kitten full of fleas left in a dumpster.

Over the past year, since loosing her beloved beautiful basenji Lucy, who she rescued from a young man who didn't have time for her, she has concentrated her efforts into helping basenji's. Lucy Loo…thank you for coming into my sister's life! I know she's smiling from doggy heaven 🙂

Thank you all for the support you give Patty as she posts on this forum! I know your kind words are appreciated 🙂

Love you sister !!

• Houston

Thank you Patty..you are a saint..Zeba will hopefully learn that humans, men or woman can be trusted and even loved..
    Keeping my fingers crossed a good forever home comes along quickly.

• I hope Zeba finds her forever home soon. Meanwhile she is safe and cared for with you

• Shelley…. Zeba has found her forever home, which means that I'm a failure at rescue! 🙂 She has adjusted well to "people life", and loves her new sister, Lola.

Yes, she was very skittish when we first got her, especially around men. However, Lola and Zeba go to the local PetsMart hotel everyday while I'm at work, and they have both blossomed into better dogs. With the help of the PetsMart staff, Zeba is slowly overcoming her fear. Everyday, they put a paper nametag around her neck, and at first, she would snip. After a couple of days, she stopped snipping and began snarking... and now, she lets them put it around her neck without any comment (although you can tell she is still tense). I think she understands that most people are kind and she is learning that hands are for petting, not hitting. She has a huge scar on her right side, and it pains my heart to think how it may have happened. 😞

Lola and Zeba have a blast at the dog parks, and today, after a long walk, they both just plopped in the shade and panted away. Here's a picture of their happy smiles!

P.S. I love you too, sister! 🙂
    attachment_p_139078_0_242965_10150199557727384_666952383_6884476_287007_o.jpg
    attachment_p_139078_1_241602_10150199557732384_666952383_6884477_2382751_o.jpg
    attachment_p_139078_2_241466_10150199557742384_666952383_6884478_1727073_o.jpg

• I love happy endings! Congrats on your new family member.

• Thanks for the update, she's one lucky girl 🙂

• She is so lucky to have YOU! well done!

• she is gorgeous. glad all is going well, and so glad she became your failed rescue! i'm sure she's glad as well!

• I've got tears in my eyes after reading that. The look in her eyes says everything - she's praying for a forever home.

• Bless you Patty M - its wonderful to know that you've decided to keep Zeba.

• LOL failed foster, found forever home. It's a great trade.

• Hi everyone,

This is such a hard email to write, because if you read my post on the Knoxville thread, then you already know that I lost my Zeba last Friday.

"Words cannot describe"… I've heard that saying before, but now I truly understand how words cannot describe the depth of grief that I feel for losing my Zee-Zee. I was so happy watching the transformation from Zeba being a snarky, scared abused girl.... to one that begrudingly accepted the fact that people aren't supposed to hit basenjis.... to a waggly-tailed girl who found her roo'ing voice to welcome me at PetSmart daycare!

I feel so honored to have known Zeba, and to have her in my life. She was an instant sister to Lola, and the two of them were inseparable. When I would go to bed, Lola would be at my feet, and Zeba at my pillow- their territories mutually understood!

My husband was gaining acceptance from Zeba, and the night before she died, she decided to hop up and sit between Todd and me. She did her circle and gently plopped onto his lap... put her nose down and gave a big "SIGH". I looked over and softly said, "Wow! That's progress!" and he said right away, "As long as she's not sniffing out her next dinner!".... Zeba was showing awesome progress around men, and based upon her actions that night, she knew that ALL humans could be warm.

So, as you go to bed tonight, please hug your basenji. Please know that they love you, and please love them back. I have so many fond memories of my Zeba, and I try to re-create the past... knowing that despite what I can imagine, there's no changing what happened.

Rest in peace, my Zeba girl.

• Oh G-d Patty, I had not read your post there. I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face. The only thing you MUST hold on to is that because of YOU this dear dog had 5 months to know love. Something she never had before.

• You gave her heaven before she went to heaven..bless your heart…hugs for your family..sob, sniff!

Suggested Topics