• I live in a condo and my neighbor got a dog last week. I haven't seen it yet - I've only heard it. The other day Jake ran down the hallway and stopped outside the neighbor's suite to sniff around…Withing a matter of seconds the new dog ran up to the door and starked barking and scratching at the door. It literally sounded like it was going insane. Jake responded by standing their with his head c0cked and completely silent.

The owners then started yelling at their dog to be quite, completely oblivious as to what was setting him off. He wouldn't shut up so I heard them drag him to another part of the condo and he was still barking. The whole time Jake never made a sound.

I found the situation hilarious and thought it did a nice job highlighting how basenjis are different than other dogs…

• I'm not sure your neighbours would think the same!

I find that many barking dogs are completely phased by the silence. I go to visit a neighbour with Jack Russll Terriers (lots) and when I leave my Basenjis in the car they all dash up barking at them and then stand stock still in stunned silence when mine just put their heads through the windows and look!

• First Basenji's

We have a little chijuajua that lives in the neighborhood- and everytime we pass that house on a walk that dog goes crazy!!! You would think he was being tortured by all the yelping she does when we pass by. It drives her owner nuts because Mojo just sits there and stares at her like she's crazy- and doesn't make a sound!

• Houston

We have a little chijuajua that lives in the neighborhood- and everytime we pass that house on a walk that dog goes crazy!!! You would think he was being tortured by all the yelping she does when we pass by. It drives her owner nuts because Mojo just sits there and stares at her like she's crazy- and doesn't make a sound!

Hahaha…so annoying..but Mojo has every right to..just sit there.

• Got to love the total quiet of the pack of basenjis

• We have a retaining wall with the neighbors fence right on the other side of it. My two, Zoey and Mischief love to run on top of that wall like squirrels driving the neighbors dog, Katie, nuts. Even though my male Mischief can let out a yip here and there as he runs the fence line with Katie he is silent. Katie on the other hand barks until her owner comes out and yells at her to be quiet. Poor Katie my dogs really are guilty of egging her on but they do it silently while Katie barks till her owner makes her come in. Bet Katie wishes she was a basenji.

• Cara isn't quiet, lol. She believes all dogs should be quiet, and if she hears the neighbor's dogs bark (really they are good dogs, they don't bark often and only for a minute), she HAS to go to the window and BOOF at them. The translation is "BE QUIET! ONLY I CAN MAKE NOISES AND YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT! Boof, not Woof!"

• There is a dog at the dog park that always barks right in Congo's ear incessantly. Congo just ignores him goes about his business. This just baffles the dog.

• Butu's very quiet, but the other day, we were walking past the church and a lady came out unexpectedly. Well, whatever my boy is, he's not a stoic, so he screamed. Wow, did she jump! I apologised but mentioned, to be fair, that Butu had been startled too. Got one of the nastiest looks I've evr seen 😉

Suggested Topics