• I had a dog when I was in college/graduate school so I know from experience that this is a huge committment and it definitely changes your life priorities.
    It sounds like you really want to make this work - so you'll have to make some hard choices about your life style. Mostly … have patience, patience, patience.

Don't look at the piddle pads as a long tern solution - I think that's a bad idea. Basenjis can hold their urine for many many hours but the puppy needs to learn this (think human toddler). Basenjis do well on the reward system so reward lavishly when Dexter potties outside but don't get angry when he piddles inside (I was going to say "just suck-it-up" 😃 but not literally :D) . If he is using the pads or newspapers, gradually move them to the door and then outside so he learns that is where to go. And when you are home, gradually lengthen the time before you open the door.

It will take some time to have a well-trained potty experience.

• Well, I decided not to worry about the puppy pads because he tore up the first two that I placed down within the first few seconds that I turned my back haha. I have a friend who lives up the street who told me that if I cannot make it back in time, he would come and let Dex out for me. Also, my sister-in-law and mother-in-law both told me that they would be fine with watching Dexter for a day if I really wanted to do something. I'm not saying that I will do that often, but since I only see my fiance half of the year, I DO want to be able to go to dinner and a movie once in a while with him. Also, I decided that even though Dexter despises car rides, I will still be able to take him places if I want to get out. I took him with me to a friend's house who has a Yorkie and he had a blast, and it wasn;t nearly as much trouble as I had assumed. I think I just needed to take a breather. It is stressful for me to have to get accustomed to this alone while my fiance is at work, but I know that we can do it.

And by the way…I'm a girl. Not a boy. lol

• Houston

Sounds like a great plan…jepp Pippin enjoys eating those puppy pads more than using them..well when he was tiny at least..he is done with housebreaking for the most part..very now and then we might have an accident...but he is 17 wks..so I think that is norm..

• Sounds like a great plan to me too! The only thing I would worry about is that I know if my mother-in-law watches him, she won't follow proper potty-training protocol lol. Her dogs (which are like 7 and 5) both potty on her floor still, and she isn't one to try and change that. So I would worry that Dex might…I don't know...pick up their bad habit and set us back?

• First Basenji's

@DexterDex:

And by the way…I'm a girl. Not a boy. lol

laugh Sorry for being off with my gendar. I had thought you were male, too. I think because you posted a sweet picture of a girl with a puppy around the time you first got Dexter, and I read the context to mean that was your fiance depicted in the photo.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some viable options lined up. Good luck, and thank goodness for understanding family and friends. Just remind yourself that you're in it for the long haul, and the puppy period is SUPPOSED to be trying, but you'll get through it!

• ROFLMAO, okay so I wasn't alone thinking you were a guy. LOL. Sounds like you have some good back up folks, so just get them on board for vet runs if necessary and life will be good. 🙂

• Nope! Haha. The girl in the picture was me! I will definitely have a backup vet bringer lol.

• When you have other people check on your Dexter, make sure they understand that basenjis are not like other dogs. They soon learn to bolt when there's a door open to the outside so they can go chase that squirrel that just ran across the street while a car is coming along. Diligence is necessary with these beasties.

• @wizard:

When you have other people check on your Dexter, make sure they understand that basenjis are not like other dogs. They soon learn to bolt when there's a door open to the outside so they can go chase that squirrel that just ran across the street while a car is coming along. Diligence is necessary with these beasties.

I bought a couple of these. One goes on the outside of the front door and one goes on the inside. Note: the dog on it is a basenji!

http://cgi.ebay.com/BASENJI-Dont-Let-Dog-Out-DOOR-HANGER-Safety-DOG-/380235071278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887c6bf2e

• Hello Dex. House breaking can be tough and the last thing I will do is question your abilities…there are always solutions to every problem it just takes time and effort. Anyone taking classes should know this! I had an excellent breeder who started very early with my Basenji "Scarlett" at litter box training...Basenjis seem to take very well to it at a young age. I realize it may not be ideal and trust me it doesn't let you off the hook for any miss steps. When pups are real young the distance they can handle when they need to go is just a few feet. So litter box training can be key to success with house breaking! Use all the steps you would use for regular potty training but instead of going out use the box. How many times has a dog peed or pooped on the floor as your preparing to get leashes on or a coat and shoes. Later on in life they will progress to naturally growing out of the box method and you can take the boxes away (one in each room when there young), With no box they will let you know they need to go. My girl will walk over to the door sit down and look at me patiently when she needs to go...no training or bells needed! Plus having them litter box trained works well if you must crate them for an extended amount of time...if you get a big enough crate you can fit a box inside. BTW, never use regular litter as for cats, use an all natural non-treated pellet that can be found at any feed store. I wish you the best!

• Well, I hadn't really thought much about litterbox training, but thankfully we won;t be needing to look for alternative options to outside pottying. Things have all seemed to work out great over here. I think it just took me a little while to get accustomed to everything, but everything is running smoothly now. Thanks everyone.

Suggested Topics