• Newsom is 14 weeks now and is a GREAT boy. I'm loving him so much every day and he and Shango are getting along great, bringing smiles all around.

Newsom is a very good puppy and sleeps all through the night without going to the bathroom in his crate. I take him out first thing and he goes right outside and is rewarded.

But.

He has a habit of going to the bathroom in his crate throughout the day. I try to give him cool-down and nap times in his crate (which he goes into by himself. He really seems to love napping and hanging out in his crate…) and to be honest, I can't really figure out when he does it as I watch him really carefully but I'll peek into the crate and inevitable, there's a pee puddle. (and tonight, a little bit of poop). It's super frustrating and I don't know what to do....

Help?

• Is the crate too big? He should be able to lay down and turn around but doesn't need more room when potty training. That way it is harder for him to stay out of the mess if he makes one. This method usually works because dogs, especially the typical basenji don't like to be dirty.

Also make sure to withhold food and water prior to crating and make sure he has had time to process and eliminate any intake.

You probably already know this, but thats how I would start! 🙂

Good luck

• What were his living conditions like were you got him from? Usually depending on the pups age, there is usually a clue there.

For example (and I am not saying that he is from a puppy miller)… but puppy mill dogs live in cages, eat in cages, poop in cages... they don't know any different... hence really harder to house train as peeing/pooping in a crate is natural for them. Same with a pet store puppy. So sometimes you need to look at those kinds of things when trying to figure out how to solve a problem. And sometimes you never can....

• Thanks for the input you guys-

The crate is not too big, it's the right size for him which is why I am so confused about why he's doing it. And he's NOT from a puppy mill, but was born to a home with a lot of acreage where he had a lot of outside time to run and play on a lot of land….

• Do you feed him in his crate? He will be unlikely to pee/poo where he eats. Make sure he has had a potty break before going into his crate to eat. Then, TONS of praise when you let him out.

• @Kipawa:

Do you feed him in his crate? He will be unlikely to pee/poo where he eats. Make sure he has had a potty break before going into his crate to eat. Then, TONS of praise when you let him out.

He does not eat in his crate. Thanks for this idea! Will try it!

• How long is he in the crate during the day?

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

How long is he in the crate during the day?

Jennifer

Never longer than 45 mins.

Suggested Topics