• Finally I found the dog of my dreams. I have had dogs all my life from labs to rescues. I don't know how I am living without one at the moment. I am basenjiless at the moment due to my fiance being allergic (minor) to dogs. Finally I have found a dog that suits my needs as well as his health.

So I am writing you today to say HELLO and I look forward to talking to all of you and learning more about this amazing breed!

I am looking to purchase a puppy next spring so if anyone has any information about breeder in Ontario or planned breedings please let me know!

Also, I am a fan of the bully breeds and I know the difference between a male and female in that breed. Is there a difference in the Basenji breed?

Thank you all!
    KMac

• Welcome! Basenjis are not truly hypoallergenic, so fiance needs to meet and handle some. Even that can vary from dog to dog.
    Hmmm, males and females? Females will be the boss. Males will usually be sweeter and more mellow. Females may be very sweet as well, of course, may bond more with your fiance, a male will likely be a momma's boy. These are generalities, of course, and depends on whether intact or not. (Intact males may be more assertive).

• Welcome to the Forum - generalising about female v male, i agree with MacPack. I really think it's a matter of prefernce though, personally I prefer bitches but I've always found them more volatile than males, especially when seasons are due.

• I don't have a ton of experience, but I've found the same. Girls are boss and boys are a bit sweeter. Still both can be incredibly destructive and excellent escape artists. Welcome!

• I do have one boy, Digital the brindlewonderkid, who has fur that makes me itch if it's been more than a week since he had a bath. His fur is very short and harsh. I think his fur was like that when he was a puppy. With that in mind, you may want to consider getting a young adult instead of a puppy just to make sure your fiance is NOT allergic to your new dog. Puppy fur tends to be a bit different from the adult fur. Jet the try-ing has longer softer fur and doesn't make me itch, nor does Zest the superstar in training who has short softer fur.

Of course recently Diggie has been doing a weekly hydrotherapy session which does cut down on the itchy factor of his fur.

ETA : Should read I think his fur was NOT like that when he was a puppy.
    d'oh

• Welcome…do you know where your getting your b from??

• Welcome to the forum

• Thanks for the replies everyone! I am searching for a breeder in Ontario. I am hoping I can go check some out before I make my decision.

So I think I have made my mind up on a male however, I am open to colours. I love them all.

Does anyone know of a breeder in Ontario?

THanks again!! And look forward to my basenji!

• I Currently have a deposit down on the next litter from Jean Martin of Hounds of Timar. She is in Tully, NY which is probably a few hours from you but might be the closet breeder. There was a Breeder in Buffalo, NY but I think they aren't breeding currently.

• There aren't very many basenji breeders in Canada although fortunately for you most of them are out East.

Here's a link of breeders from the BCOA.

https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=45&Itemid=94

• Welcome to the forum.

I can (as will other UK members) vouch for Chris Frost, Bushwacker Basenjis, she is in Ontario. Chris was a well respected breeder in the UK, she emigrated to Canada last year.

• Chris did not breed this year.

• Hi KMac, I live in NW Ontario and last Feb. i got my first Basenji, after a long Ontario breeder search i couldn't find any that i really liked…they either weren't very knowledgable, willing to help/provide information or just wouldn't respond to emails/phone calls...ect. I decided to go with Beaubri Basenjis in P.E.I. http://www.beaubri.com/. Simone helped me alot in deciding if a Basenji was best for me and provided me with alot of valuable information and i would highly recommend them. She usually breeds her dogs in mid-late fall with the puppies ready to go home around Feb/March, so if you're interested it'd be best to talk to her as soon as possible as her puppies are usually spoken for well in advance.

• Here is the link to the Basenji Club of Canada's Breeder Directory. There are several breeders in Ontario listed.

http://www.basenjiclubofcanada.com/BCOC-BreedersDirectory.html

• @TenjiTheBasenji:

I decided to go with Beaubri Basenjis in P.E.I. http://www.beaubri.com/.
    She usually breeds her dogs in mid-late fall with the puppies ready to go home around Feb/March…

Okay, I had a snarky moment. With your "usually breeds in mid-late fall" I thought… well duh, MOST breed then because Basenjis TYPICALLY go into heat ONLY once and year, beginning in the fall. So I clicked on your link expecting a puppy mill. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only her dogs but her commitment to rescue. 🙂

To the person about allergies... sorry but no dog is hypoallergenic. NONE. The issue is saliva and dander. Dogs with less hair may be less allergy inducing, and dogs that don't shed (ie continuous hair growth like poodles) drop less dander in the environment than those that shed, but they ALL can cause allergic response. Please, decide NOW before getting one what you will do to help reduce the problem (daily wiping down the dog to remove dander helps), and what will happen if he still has reactions. Allergy pills are great 🙂
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_6018430_good-dog-kid-asthma.html

• DebraDownSouth - my finance is not crazy allergic to dogs. He is mainly allergic to dogs like the French bulldog. He has now been around Basenji's and seems to be great. And we will do everything possible to make sure that he lives comfortably. I would never bring someone or something into my house that couldn't stay there. Therefore, I will make sure that my new found puppy is not just temporary but permanant. That would kill me if I brought a dog into my home and had to say goodbye because i wasnt responsible enough to make sure my Fiance was good with them. But thank you for your advice.

Thank you everyone for all your messages back. I am still on my slow hunt for a puppy. I am in no rush but very excited. I love coming and reading all your posts on this board!!

• <>
    I'm sorry, but if you contact me, I reply to all potential puppy people. If you don't like my policies, that may be your issue. My first priority is to my dogs. I am very knowledgeable, do provide all info, but I also like to know you have done your research first. So obviously, you did not contact me. I also require visits for the most part or references if you live too far away. And yes, I follow up on references as well. I will also call the vet you use to interview them as well. If you have allergies, visiting is a necessity, if not in my home, then with someone else that only has basenjis so that you can guage your reaction to them. And yes, I did place a puppy with a gentleman who is very allergic to dogs. He does okay with Basenjis and is hoping for more improvement, but is willing to go for shots if he must. Talk about dedication! So please try not to bash us all. I don't know who you contacted, but there may have been underlaying reasons why these breeders did not get back to you.
    And Simone is very nice and knowledgeable as well. But from your tone of letter, you think we are all bad breeders in Ontario!

• I contacted Arlene (above). She was wonderful!! And I look forward to getting in contact with her when the time is right! She was VERY knowledgeable about her dogs and gave me sooo much amazing advice and is willing to help out with making sure basenji's are right for us. So I agree - Ontario has wonderful breeders!

• @KMac:

I contacted Arlene (above). She was wonderful!! And I look forward to getting in contact with her when the time is right! She was VERY knowledgeable about her dogs and gave me sooo much amazing advice and is willing to help out with making sure basenji's are right for us. So I agree - Ontario has wonderful breeders!

Thank you! It was also very nice talking to you also.

Suggested Topics