• @tanza I'm just saying... it seems to reason that if they can "cure" acquired Fanconi, wouldn't they be able to use that research to further develop a "cure" for genetic Fanconi?

  • @elbrant - My personal opinion is NO.... sorry, been tried for many, many years. We are lucky to have DNA tests so that no Basenji will get this deadly affliction. If you are interested in the studies that have been done, talk to Dr. Gonto

  • @Motala - Sorry that is seems we have "hijacked" you post... how is your girl doing? Any update that it still could be a UTI?

  • No worries, I opened the door. 😂 Ruth is doing well. We had a conference with our vet and decided we could stop the bicarbonate for a month or 2 and recheck her labs. We are still dipping her urine once a week to check for glucose.

  • @Motala - Glad to hear that she is doing better. You might consider sending the blood work and blood gases to Dr. Gonto and get is opinion. It does sound that it is possible that it could be acquired Fanconi..... let us know. Also is she in-tact or was she spayed already?

  • Thanks for the reply. Yes I have been wondering about acquired Fanconi. Do you know if that resolves entirely with removal of the offending treats?

    She is intact. She is just over 6 months old now. My other question to run by Tad is about the timing of her spay. Her vulva is slightly recessed and our vet thought that might change a little if we let her cycle once. If so then her risk of recurring UTI’s would improve.
    If this was all from a UTI then we’d like to minimize her risk going forward. 🤷♀
    So still working through a few things…

  • @Motala Best is to talk to Tad.... but still I would try and check with both Tad and Dr Gonto with her blood results and blood gasses....

  • @Motala I certainly would be against spaying her before she has had at least one normal cycle. At 6 months she may even be thinking about having an early one before one in Autumn and then normal annual cycles. Bitch puppies very often do. You have no idea what sort of harm you are piling up for the future if you do it before hormonal maturity - Tad will know that and your vet is right. WAIT !

  • I was able to talk with Jan and also agreed with us about having her cycle once before spay. She also thought that I should visit with Tad. I’m still waiting for him to call me back.
    Thanks for all the help! I m happy to have found this forum 😊

  • @Motala - That is good that you talked to Jan and glad to hear that she had not been spayed. I still think that your Vet and you should connect with Dr. Gonto about your girl's blood work and blood gas results and if he has any thoughts about it.

Suggested Topics