• What type of coat do basenjis have and how much do they shed?

Because my girl has a double coat and she sheds awful figured that might give some indication as well

• Basenjis have a very short coat and don't shed a lot.
    Basenjis pads are different from other dogs in that the middle two are sort of joined at the bottom like a wolfs.
    It's hard to know with mixes because she will have traits and features of the other breed as well.

• @thunderbird8588:

Basenjis have a very short coat and don't shed a lot.
    Basenjis pads are different from other dogs in that the middle two are sort of joined at the bottom like a wolfs.
    It's hard to know with mixes because she will have traits and features of the other breed as well.

Dog you have a photo of what the paw pad looks like?

(It may just have been wishful thinking because I like Basenjis….I have only known one though and it was many many many years ago and i not remember her as accurately as I think)

• @Dogsrawesome:

You see I doubt there would be anything that large in her ( and most labs I know are like 65lbs or more) because she isn't much bigger than a JRT (supposedly they are between 14 and 18lbs atleast according to dogbreedinfo.com) and she is 19lbs.

And I feel if she was just a JRT/Chihuahua mix that she would be much smaller than she is but even the vet agrees she is most likely a small dog mix

Size doesn't mean anything, just that the JRT is the most dominant gene. Hell, I have seen many large dogs mixed with small in the dogpark, yet they all grow to be small.

• Here is a pic of a normal dog paw and a Basenjis, even if your girl doesn't have pads like a Basenji it doesn't mean she hasn't got some Basenji in her.
    When we had a Basenji i noticed Benjis pads were joined but at the time thought all dogs were like this. It was only later that i found out only Basenjis, possibly Huskies and wolves have these pads
    attachment_p_99461_0_pfoten_goldsch_bas.jpg

• Aj's front paws aren't joined like that. Only his rears. There was a discussion on the Forums somewhere about DNA testing for breed…I'll try to track it down.

Couldn't find the thread, but here is a link to a facility that does this:

http://www.canineheritage.com/

• First Basenji's

Our Sakari was a JRT / Basenji mix. Had mostly Basenji characteristics to her but did bark like the JRT as well.
    attachment_p_99484_0_sakari-taken-january-2007-save-this-one-cropped.jpg

• First Basenji's

You might be able to view this photo a little better - I enlarged it. This is Sakari … part Basenji / part JRT. She was a rescue dog we found through petfinder.com
    attachment_p_99485_0_sakari-taken-january-2007-save-2010-enlarged-photo.jpg

• First Basenji's

Figured out if you click on the photo image, it will enlarge into a different screen. Hope this info helps.

• @thunderbird8588:

Here is a pic of a normal dog paw and a Basenjis, even if your girl doesn't have pads like a Basenji it doesn't mean she hasn't got some Basenji in her.
    When we had a Basenji i noticed Benjis pads were joined but at the time thought all dogs were like this. It was only later that i found out only Basenjis, possibly Huskies and wolves have these pads

ChowChow's have feet like that and it's really noticable in feet that big. I'll try to get a pic next time i'm around a chowchow foot.

Suggested Topics