• @MacPack:

Rxysmom, Where in Florida are you? We are in the Tampa area, would love to get together if you are close.
    Topper's Mom

Unfortnately Im about 3 hours SE, in west palm beach!

• @Rxysmom:

AgileBasenji, Thank you, I think she'd really like that and it'd be fun for me too, also youre right! She isnt stubborn shes smart!!! lol

Yea, she trained YOU, didn't she. 😃

• Think of your basenji like a cat…it will help you laugh, because she is catlike in her behaviors. She will never be a "dog"...

• Houston

Sounds like you got a bunch of really good advice..I am glad I read through this..a few things I can add to my bag of tricks..like treats throughout the house..great idea..
    Roxy sounds like a delightful little lady..she is lucky to have you..

• Sounds like a normal Basenji. 😃

• Rxysmum, in you first post you sound like you have weiged Roxy up correctly and the behaviours you describe are normal Basenji behaviour. They dont IMO, naturaly want to please their owners like most Dogs do. Like others have said they will weigh up whether there is anything in it for them and whether its worth cooperating. I suppose when they do cooperate we appreciate it more 😃

• @Rxysmom:

HELP Me, she's more stubborn than I am!!!

That all sounds good and dandy except she never does things I ask her to do when I tell her to do them. I know she CAN, I just dont think she WANTS to! Shouldn't my DOG want to please her owner?! She seems to ….have to think about it first. It's as if she's deciding if it's worth her while! She tends to only do things if shes getting a treat in return!

Welcome to Basenji-World. My girls are the same - I think whereas DOGS want very much to please their OWNERS, Basenjis do not think like that. They consider themselves an equal part of the family. Some people have suggested that they aren't really dogs - they are their own little species.:p Mine can do the obedience thing too, when there's something in it for them. But simply because I said so? Hah. Maybe, and maybe not. I get the "what's in it for me?" look a lot.😕

• Just typical brainy basenjis!!!

I have always found that contrary to conventional methods of training the praise or reward should come first and then the request (command?1)

• I'm just happy AJ comes when he's called and gets out of the mirror when I need to use it. Everything else he simply takes as suggestion. 😃

• The reason Jaycee has her name. Just cause I can, Just cause I will or will not. It's a good life with basenjis.

Rita Jean

Suggested Topics