• There was about 1/2-3/4 inch in the yard this morning and it was funny to watch Gossy. When first out the door she was in full running mode but screeched to a stop as soon as she went out on the snowy deck. After I shoved her butt a little (I think she was thinking to just go back inside) she picked her way slowly across the deck and down the steps to get under the trees where there was no snow so she could do her business. She's only been through one winter (she'll be 2 in December) and I don't think she has formed an opinion about it yet as she didn't really seem to mind it much (so far).

• I am really hoping you Minnesota and Wisconsin folks will keep that snow to yourselves! Even though Zuki has been wearing her Fido Fleece for about a month now, we are just not ready for that white fluffy stuff yet!

• I guess the Basenji gods sends each of us the dog we need because we live in a ski resort in Colorado and have snow on the ground over half the year. Yet our Ella mostly enjoys the snow. She doesn't even mind it when it actually snowing either (much better than rain). I am glad I didn't read this thread before we got her. We were concerned, but our local Basenji-friend said her dogs were fine during the winters here. Of course, we keep an eye on cold paws and ears. She is pretty good until it lower than about 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

• @bcraig:

I guess the Basenji gods sends each of us the dog we need because we live in a ski resort in Colorado and have snow on the ground over half the year. Yet our Ella mostly enjoys the snow. She doesn't even mind it when it actually snowing either (much better than rain). I am glad I didn't read this thread before we got her. We were concerned, but our local Basenji-friend said her dogs were fine during the winters here. Of course, we keep an eye on cold paws and ears. She is pretty good until it lower than about 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have seen my B through temps as cold as -20 to -25F. He does ok, but he just can't stand the cold for very long when it gets that cold.

I don't keep him as lean in the winter for that reason. He doesn't like to wear any apparel either. :rolleyes:

The thing is though, I have him on leash whenever he goes out. He learned long ago that he really has no choice. This will be the 2nd winter for him and he's adjusting ok thus far.

• Ella is also about the start her second winter. She has been in temps as low as -10, but as you said, they aren't comfortable for very long. Ella had an ill-fitting hand-me-down coat as a puppy and she didn't seem to mind it. We just got her a new Montana Dogwear coat and she really seems to like it.

• @bcraig:

Ella is also about the start her second winter. She has been in temps as low as -10, but as you said, they aren't comfortable for very long. Ella had an ill-fitting hand-me-down coat as a puppy and she didn't seem to mind it. We just got her a new Montana Dogwear coat and she really seems to like it.

My two used to tolerate the cold and snow, but now that they are in their senior years I think they would rather skip the whole winter season. Thanks for mentioning the Montana Dogware - looks like great stuff! Zak's 14th birthday is coming up and I bet he'd love a new coat! 😃

• I made it a point to mention both that Ella is a youngster as I think older dogs tolerate the cold less, and that we love our new Montana Dogware coat. Ella is 23 pounds and we got her the XXXS with a tail notch.

• Thanks bcraig for the Montana Dogware info. I just looked at their website and love those coats. I will be ordering 2 for my 12yr old and 8 yr basenjis. Hopefully we will have them before the first snow falls here in Ohio.

• Houston

I love their coats too, but they be a little too warm for Texas winter, upper 30's some days (count days on one hand..LOL), low to mid 40's most days..?
    It is a very humid, into your core cold, but not cold like below freezing..
    I really would like for Otis to have a coat, he is so skinny, so I think he is cold, but he might not be.

• They are nice looking coats Jaycee winter coat does not fit when we got her in March we got her a coat but it's a little to tight to say the least. So many pretty colors on there hard to know what one would look the best. We might have to get Jaycee one of those coats she is all ready shaking in the mornings.

Rita Jean

Suggested Topics