• Hi Alex,
    Good thinking, and thanks! I'll save these links in case anyone else every needs them. Buddy was just found in the next town by someone who brought him to the pound there. Thank God! @Alex:

Should we post a lost dog ad here:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/laf/
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pet/

Title: Lost Dog: Tri Colored Basenji 25lbs - Lost Today 10/8/09

• Wow that is great news….. and thankfully Dan had him chipped....

• Thank God!!! I was imagining the worst…

• For everyone who has had their dogs chipped, next time you are at the vet have them scan for the chip. Microchips save lives so make sure you dog's chip is still there and functioning.

• Oh, wow! I'm so glad this had a happy ending!!!!

• Dan and Buddy bless you both happy news for you.

Rita Jean

• @Maxie:

Hi everyone,
    Dan's Basenji, named Buddy, got spooked by a truck and took off running! Last seen running west on Oak Ave near Juniper Ave in Redwood City, CA ? without his collar. Buddy is only 11 months old, tri-colored (black,white,tan), 25 lbs. He's not skiddish, but he is a runner. Please help if you can. I'll make photo-posters that can be emailed and also printed within the hour. Dan is out searching so please 650-714-2239 for sightings only, so Dan can stay focused on searching. Also, please help spread the word near that area in Redwood City CA! Again, Buddy took off without his collar. Thank you! Maxie (Leigh)

Thank you again Leigh for your efforts!!
    I think God was watching over Buddy today. Please make sure your B is wearing a collar with tags as well as having a chip. Saved by the chip! My stupidity today! When I get home everyday I check to see if the front gate is closed before letting him out. Today I carelessly didn't and let him out in front and the front gate was left open by the Mailman or UPS driver. I didn't notice for about 2 minutes and the stupid thing was he didn't have his collar on. So I ran out and he's 3 doors down darting across the street and around the corner like a bullet down a street blocked off because tractors and heavy equipment where working on the street. I drove everywhere for hours. Nobody had seen him. There were alot of people walking their dogs too. I get home and the SPCA left a message that someone named Megan has Buddy and here's her number. She got Buddy 2-1/2 miles from my house and that was 30 minutes after he got out so he was moving fast with heavy commute traffic. He crossed a very busy four lane road too. Megan and her Mother took Buddy all the way to the SPCA which is about 15 miles away and had his chip read. The SPCA called me and gave me the girls number and said they have Buddy with them. I called her, Megan and she was super nice and said her and her mother would bring Buddy right over. Megan and her Mother are volunteers for the SPCA and she said they find dogs all the time wondering around up where they live near the hospital. They were super nice and very concerned to find the all stray dogs owners. I have walked with Buddy in every direction at least 250 times on these streets so if he got out he would know where he lives. Not the case. My previous 3 Basenjis never would venture more than 2 houses away if they got out lose ever. I was lucky to get him back! Thanks everybody!

• So glad everything worked out. What a great ending. 🙂
    and glad my pups are chipped!!

• First Basenji's

He's a lucky boy! I'm so glad he's ok.

• I'm so happy for you! I'm glad he is okay.

• Wow…glad he's back safe and sound. What a scare I'm sure.

Do you know his original history...was he originally found roaming the streets when Medfly got him or was he an owner surrender. The reason I ask is if he was found roaming the streets, it sounds like maybe his street instincts took over in this case, once the noises/vehicle movement spooked him. That could explain why he went further afield instead of heading home. Just a guess.

• Whew! I'm glad Buddy is home safe and hopefully your nerves are not too frayed!

• Just read this post, thank goodness you have him back safely Dan.What a terrible scare.

• @renaultf1:

Wow…glad he's back safe and sound. What a scare I'm sure.

Do you know his original history...was he originally found roaming the streets when Medfly got him or was he an owner surrender. The reason I ask is if he was found roaming the streets, it sounds like maybe his street instincts took over in this case, once the noises/vehicle movement spooked him. That could explain why he went further afield instead of heading home. Just a guess.

Yes, he was found wondering the streets in So Cal. No chip and no collar. The girl said last night that when they went in the SPCA to get him scanned he reacted a bit irritated like he was reminded of being in the shelter back in So Cal. Last night he was beat and a bit weirded out. This morning he didn't really get up for a while and after the walk he just got on the couch. Usually he runs in and grabs his toy to play. His appetite is fine and he has no injuries. I can't believe he ran up to an SPCA volunteer. Is that luck or what! 🙂

• Glad Buddy is okay and back home!!! 😃

Regarding microchips - make sure you go to the vet and scan it (every once in a while) to make sure it's working… My first B had a microchip and was okay when I first got it for her but a few years later, the vet just happened to re-scanned it and it wasn't working (or got deactivated or something)... Anyway, she got it working again... Just my$0.02...

• Houston

Dan,
    I am so sorry this happened to you and Buddy..I had no clue, just saw this thread.
    Gosh, I can not believe it.. thanks heavens he is Ok and safe and in your home again..
    He might be slightly "shellshocked' from his adventure, maybe that is why he is laying low today..

• @imbj:

Glad Buddy is okay and back home!!! 😃

Regarding microchips - make sure you go to the vet and scan it (every once in a while) to make sure it's working… My first B had a microchip and was okay when I first got it for her but a few years later, the vet just happened to re-scanned it and it wasn't working (or got deactivated or something)... Anyway, she got it working again... Just my$0.02...

And sometimes they just migrate and can't be found… so, yes I agree..... have your dog's chip checked.

• @imbj:

Glad Buddy is okay and back home!!! 😃

That's why we should always have that collar on as well in case that chip does not scan. I got lucky it scanned and the person was more than willing to go all the way to the SPCA too. Had the collar been on she could of just called me right then from her home. I offered her money for her time and gas but they flat out refused saying it was no problem at all and that they are SPCA volunteers. If you could pick someone to find your B it would be this girl Megan and her mother. They totally love dogs. Maybe Buddy knew what he was doing when he went up to her on the street.

• Ever since this spring when we had Sophie scanned and couldn't find her chip we have learned that the most common reason for them not to scan is because they aren't actually there. What happens is they are implanted and then scanned and everything seems fine but the chip can migrate right back out of the tract it went in. Next time the dog is scanned there is no chip. So a very good practice is to have your dog scanned every year when it goes in for its regular check up and to have it scanned a couple weeks after implantation so the tract has healed and you can verify that it stayed put.

• @lvoss:

Ever since this spring when we had Sophie scanned and couldn't find her chip we have learned that the most common reason for them not to scan is because they aren't actually there. What happens is they are implanted and then scanned and everything seems fine but the chip can migrate right back out of the tract it went in. Next time the dog is scanned there is no chip. So a very good practice is to have your dog scanned every year when it goes in for its regular check up and to have it scanned a couple weeks after implantation so the tract has healed and you can verify that it stayed put.

Good idea Lisa! We have learned something here that we cannot assume that just because the dog was scanned it will always work.

Suggested Topics