• So last week it was dogs, this week it's cats. At the end of June we got some new across the street neighbors who do not believe in keeping their cats indoors. We reset our sprinklers in an attempt to keep the cats out of our front yard and that seemed to be working. The last 2 weeks we have been keeping our dogs mostly in the house because every time I let them out the new next door neighbor's pit bull barks its head off for half an hour. Tonight the neighbor's dog ignored my girls being in the backyard so I allowed them so extra "out" time. Next thing I know I can hear my girls crying and I rushed outside to find the across the street neighbor's cat scurrying over my fence with my girls trying to figure away to climb up after it. ARGH! My girls do not seem injured and the cat never made a sound so I don't think they hurt it, they are very soft mouthed with other animals since we have cats. Did I say "ARGH!" ? I hope the cat will decide to never come in my yard again. I don't want it getting hurt and I don't want my dogs getting injured.

• Why not send a note or call your neighbors and let them know nicely there are dogs in the neighborhood that are outside and could cause problems for their cats (they probably won't believe you if you tell them about all the diseases cats can catch when roaming). Although it probably won't work since if they let their cats out to roam they don't care enough, but it's worth a try.
    Alternatively I've heard that spraying an area with lemon juice supposedly keeps the cats out.

• I too have this problem everyday…..My neighbor feeds all the feral cats,who come and "poop" in my front yard, not so much in the back since my 3 B;s caught one, and yes, the kill, horrible sounds, the B's were shocked and all hair was up and a strange hormone smell from them, my husband had to finish the poor thing off....but the cats do learn, we also have a very agressive femal pit who barks when she is out, trys to climb over, we have installed high fences and this is helping, they still are upset but not in danger. I'm been trapping the feral and getting them fixed when I can, but the cycle never stops.......I use "pepper spray" .

• We used to have feral cats in the yard, but once the basenjis came, I haven't seen a cat in ages, so I think they've moved on. Oh and, we also have a family of gray foxes living in our stone wall so that has probably helped the situation - that has probably helped more than the basenjis. 😉 And there are also coyotes about, so they may be culling the cat population around us.

I feel your pain though…first the dogs, now the cats.

• I too have a similar situation. the neighbor 2 doors down feeds the feral cats. I have actually seen the cats come out of the storm drains and go to her house to eat. EWWW. No telling what those cats have on their fur. It only took one to fall off the fence into my back yard. I woke up to a very dead decapitated cat in my house. My guys had brought it in through the doggie door placed it on the door mat for my inspection. But they still roam through my front yard. We can't seem to convince the neighbor not to feed the cats.

• I must be lucky in the fact of no cats in backyard but I think that is becasue years again we had lots of them. Sad to say but our first akita killed so many cats I am sure that is only reason we have none today. You can ask peple to keep cats in or at home we were told a cat is a free spirt and my answer was always same and sprit it will be if gets in our yard.

Rita Jean

• My neighbor's cat used to come in my house through the dog door as my Basenjis were old and sleeping and did not notice. I would get home and he was sleeping in the living room chair or foot prints all over my kitchen counter. I talk to the neighbor and she apologized and tried to keep the cat in. He's an unafraid cat and used to go in the neighbors homes. He's afraid of Buddy because Buddy playfully terrorizes him. The cat runs for his life over the fence with Buddy 1/4 of an inch from catching him and Buddy standing there tail wagging a mile a minute. The cat sleeps in my front yard, in the bushes which has a pickett fence around and Buddy walks out real low and slow trying to sneak up on him if he's out there. There used to be a lot of cat fights on my porch and driveway as there's about 4 cats around. It's been getting a lot better as the cats are getting older.

• Houston

We have our own cat, she lives indoor and out in our backyard, she never leaves our backyard to go anywhere, only comes in to eat. She is happier this way. Otis leaves her alone, she stands her ground and have swiped at him a few times in the beginning. We do however have plenty of neighbor cats that tries to come in our garage, I guess to come in and eat, I have actually had my dogs in the past to chase those cats..they always won, i.e the cats got scared and got away and mostly now stay away. My husband wouldn't hesitate for one minute to either hose them or spray them, should they come back..So far we have not had to do that, but trust me if the need arises we will…It is our property after all and we are only making sure our dogs don't get hurt, sick or danger the stray cat..

• I think the most frustrating thing is that the cats' owners do not think that there is any problem with their animals trespassing. The next door neighbor with the hound also has a black cat with a pink collar. It used to come in our yard but one day, I didn't realize it was out in our yard and let the dogs out. They were very excited to see a "friend" in their backyard and rushed to greet it. It took off over the fence. Then I could hear the neighbor cursing my dogs for scaring her cat. GRRRRR! Her cat was trespassing on MY property. Her cat doesn't come into my back yard anymore but does sleep on our welcome mat on the front porch.

A couple of weeks back there was an episode of Judge Judy where one neighbor was suing the other for vet bills incurred when their Basset Hound was badly scratched by the neighbors cat. The neighbors were counter claiming for damages to their cat. The Basset owner won the case since the cat had come onto their property. Judge Judy explained that the cat had no business on the neighbor's property and any all damage caused by their cat while illegally trespassing was their responsibility irregardless of whether the Basset chased or attacked the cat while it was on their property. The cat owner was furious saying it was unfair, cats roam. That is the problem, some owners just won't take responsibility.

I just get so furious about irresponsible pet owners. I work so hard to take good care of my pets and keep them happy, healthy, and safe.

• @GenJMar:

I too have a similar situation. the neighbor 2 doors down feeds the feral cats. I have actually seen the cats come out of the storm drains and go to her house to eat. EWWW. No telling what those cats have on their fur. It only took one to fall off the fence into my back yard. I woke up to a very dead decapitated cat in my house. My guys had brought it in through the doggie door placed it on the door mat for my inspection. But they still roam through my front yard. We can't seem to convince the neighbor not to feed the cats.

Ewwww…..not a good image.....I knew there was a reason we don't have a doggy door 😉

• Roaming cats also bring all kinds of problems for dogs, even if friendly. They can introduce fleas and ear mites and who knows what kinds of diseases.
    I won't take my dogs to my brother's house as he has barn cats that come in the garage where his dog often stays – his dog is often coming down with fleas and ear mites that he catches from the cats.
    Yuck.

• Numerous people in my neighborhood "walk" their dogs without leashes. Of course, the loose dogs always have to run up to my fence and it drives my dogs nuts. They get stirred up and bump into each other then "fight". I find this irritating. Put your dogs on leashes people!

• That is one nice thing here loose dog walking with you and dog catcher see's it fine. You want to get smart mouth they will impound your dog and you can pay more of a fine. No loose dog walking.
    However they also are good if a dog is loose and running with no one and they can catch the dog if it has tags they will call you. If they get a hold of you that day no fine and they will ever bring you the dog.

Rita Jean

• Bad neighbors stink.

• @RedVelvetLynx:

Bad neighbors stink.

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I have a very good friend at work who lives somewhat in the country and has lots of what she calls "barn cats" around her. When she first came to work at my office she had 2 cats, hers and her mother's, who had come to live with her, since then she has "adopted" 7 more from her yard. She started feeling sorry for them and started putting food out there for them. Her husband has finally said "no more". She is a "good" cat owner as she has spayed/neutered each cat she has adopted and keeps them inside. Now she has become involved in rescue of the rest. If she thinks it doesn't really have a home she will try to catch it, take it to the vet for a check and spaying/neutering, try to get it socialized with humans and other cats, then try to get it adopted out. She does all this with a little bit of help from a rescue organization and a break on price from her vet but she is still out of pocket quite a bit and I respect her all the more for her commitment to the betterment of the lives of these forgotten animals.:) We all wish there were more responsible cat, and dog owners, for that matter, out there like her.

Suggested Topics