R/W Female in NC, 4 months, in need of a new home

• A couple pics from today.
    attachment_p_69425_0_wrinkle.jpg
    attachment_p_69425_1_flowers.jpg

• Oh, she is very cute.
    I am sorry you can't keep her.
    I know you will find the best home for her…BRAT can help you do that.

• That is super that you are going to get the DNA test done….. Kudos to you.... And unless you turn her over the BRAT, you might want to consider drawing up a contract that states that she must be spayed by 6 months.... so that anyone interested knows that you will not place her with anyone considering breeding...

And if you have the registration from the breeder you should just go ahead and get her registered. You should have received an AKC litter registration paper with her that you would fill in a name, you as owner and signed off by the breeder.

• She is still intact - I was planning on waiting til 6 months or so to get her fixed.

And I will work on the papers, I guess. The breeder seems more and more sketchy as this unfolds tho 😞

• Sorry your breeder isn't helping you.
    I am so glad you care what happens to her.
    We do so wish you and this b girl well.

• Kudo's to you Kono for getting the DNA swab test done. This is a wonderful and responsible thing you are doing for the Your Dog, the Breed, and the owner you will entrust your precious puppy to in the future. Your puppy is very very cute. There is another thread by a girl named Cathrine who is looking for a puppy and more likely a few others. There are very good people on this board and I am sure they will do all they can to help you.

Jason and Miranda

• She's adorable! I bet someone here can find her a nice home.

• Hi, Marc

Any help i can give u let me know i'm also in Ft, bragg I would recommend Defiantly getting her spayed before placing her in a new home though .

• She is positively, absolutely adorable. Have you had her in the car with you?
    If so, what was the longest period of time.

I would like to get some feedback. How many have gotten their Basenji as a puppy vs one that is one year or older? How many have gone through a rescue for their Basenji?

• Lisatest, I have opened another thread regarding your last set of questions.

• The longest trip we've made is about an hour. She is a little skittish if you are taking a lot of turns but once you get on the highway she settles and stares out the window. Never tried traveling with her in a crate tho.

• @nomrbddgs:

Lisatest, I have opened another thread regarding your last set of questions.

Lisa are you concerned that the puppy would not travel well? If you are going to have to drive a great distance, you should prepare to stop frequently because this is a very young puppy. Possibly at least once an hour. Also Miranda and I would strongly suggest using a crate when traveling. I have done this with Roo since he was little and he has an extra crate we bought that lives in the car. It is seatbelted in to keep it from moving about. He knows as soon as he gets in the car the crate is where he belongs.

Jason and Miranda

• With mine at about 4 months old we stop about every 2 hours on long trips. Since she hasn't been crated before in the car just be prepared that at first she my cry, whine, scream for the first 20 minutes or so but should calm down and settle in to sleep.

• @lvoss:

With mine at about 4 months old we stop about every 2 hours on long trips. Since she hasn't been crated before in the car just be prepared that at first she my cry, whine, scream for the first 20 minutes or so but should calm down and settle in to sleep.

Same here. My b pup, Liyah is four months and I stop every 2 - 2.5 hours. I also don't stop at rest stops to let her out. I usually look for a restaurant or such as I'm concerned with disease at rest stops.

• If they have gone right before we leave, even with baby pups.. it is 4 hours typically until we stop…. if they are used to riding already they will just go to sleep... Now that said... any time you slow down or stop, typically they wake up.. and then if a baby pup, they might need to go out.

I usually potty mine when I stop for gas... and that's it...

• I wish I was in a position to take her… She is a pretty girl. I hope the best for you in finding her a good home. If it becomes difficult for you to find her a home, please contact BRAT for help: http://www.basenjirescue.org/

• Yes, I have never gotten a puppy from out of state. I don't want to cause any unpleasant experience for the little girl.
    I agree with crating a dog when traveling. I know many stops must be done along the way.
    I just can't quite make my mind up on a puppy vs a older Basenji. Initially I was only thinking older Basenji but recently thinking about a puppy.
    All I know whatever is decided a Basenji coming into our home will be truely loved and cared for.
    We haven't had a dog in our home since my beloved Pepper had to be put to sleep several years ago. She was 14 years of age. I had her since she was 3 months old. She was a mix and was a GREAT gal. We still had two cats after Peppers passing. The last cat was put to sleep 2 years ago.

• @lisatest:

Yes, I have never gotten a puppy from out of state. I don't want to cause any unpleasant experience for the little girl.
    I agree with crating a dog when traveling. I know many stops must be done along the way.
    I just can't quite make my mind up on a puppy vs a older Basenji. Initially I was only thinking older Basenji but recently thinking about a puppy.
    All I know whatever is decided a Basenji coming into our home will be truely loved and cared for.
    We haven't had a dog in our home since my beloved Pepper had to be put to sleep several years ago. She was 14 years of age. I had her since she was 3 months old. She was a mix and was a GREAT gal. We still had two cats after Peppers passing. The last cat was put to sleep 2 years ago.

Lisa, I think you might find that giving a home to a Basenji Puppy will be a wonderful experience for you. Basenji's at least ours, like lap time, love to play, are nosey, and like to get exercise. They have a face that will melt you.

I see you are in florida, but I bet you would do fine traveling with that little Basenji girl. Try to bring a good stuffed animal that she cannot tear appart and but some old towel or baby blankets at a good will store before you travel to pick her up. An old towel or T-shirt with your smell on it will probably give the puppy time to get used to your smell while you travel.

Miranda and I both bet that you will bond with that little Basenji girl faster than you can imagine. If you have plenty of love and time to give her you will do well. One advantage of getting a puppy over an older dog is that you do not have to un-train bad habits that might pre exist. The new puppy will be open to positive training techniques, so you can learn what works and what does not work for you and her. One drawback is that you have to take time to potty train the new puppy but that does not take long. Make sure you have plenty of Toys to keep the puppy busy. I remember we stopped at walgreens and bought an Ostrich that our Basenji went crazy for. Of course anything with hair he defuzzes. Walgreens also has Skinnies which are animals with squeekers but no filling for sale for $3. Our dogs just love them.

We are sure you will make the best decision for you. I hope you choose to connect with this little female Basenji. Sometimes you can think about things like this too much. Sometimes you just need to go do it. If you feel it in your heart then the time to act is now!

Almost forget to mention make sure you take plenty of water with you a stable bowl. I bet you already know that. I am sure Mark will pack you up with some dog food so the puppy has some food on the way home if she wants it.

Jason

• @kono:

A couple pics from today.

What a little darling.

• I appreciate everyones input.

I just sent a long email directly to Marc about the great possibility in adopting Mia. I wanted to give him information about our household. I want to assure him that if this goes through, Mia would be in a loving, caring household.

I have been researching this breed since last October/Nov. This is when I first was introduce to this breed. I have been a pet walker once to twice a week for three dogs and two being Basenjis. I have fallen head over heals.

I am so excited, I can't sleep. I want to make sure I have a plan in place in transporting her by car.
    🙂

Suggested Topics