It's been 7+ months since I've written. After the passing of my 15+ year old male Alex I just had to step away from the Basenji world for awhile. My 15+ year old female had passed the year before. One I'd bought as a pup, the other was 1 year old rescue when I took her in.
I had not thought about getting another dog for awhile but a situation has presented itself:
At one time I was very involved with our local shelter / Humane Society. A couple weeks ago, our local animal control officer contacted me. She had been informed of a backyard breeder with a litter of Basenjis who had given up on trying to sell them ($100 each) and was wanting to turn them over to the shelter. She was wanting to know if I'd be willing to take one or more of them in if the event took place.
There is a a Tri female about 4 months old in the litter. She has been wormed, received her first round of shots but that's about it. I do know for a fact that there has been no Fanconi testing of the pups/parents. How would you proceed, and IF I did decide to give the pup a home what testing would you recommend?