• Hello all,

My wife suprised me with an early b-day/christmas gift last night. This is George, Basenji/Shepherd mix.

She got him from a friend of a friend who adopted him 2 months ago, but couldn't keep him. He is now 4 months old. I'm not too keen on the name, and I am considering changing it since he doesn't really seem to respond to it anyway (should I not?).

Couple more pics…

• Cute puppy! But are they sure he is a Basenji mix? Looks more like a possible Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. Either way you are welcome here 🙂

• @Quercus:

Looks more like a possible Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. Either way you are welcome here 🙂

I kinda thought the same thing based on the color and build, but the animal rescue that he came from said Basenji, and thats what the adoption papers that were given to me said. The color is not from a shepherd (is it?), could it come from the Basenji side?

• Very cute pup!! Can't really see the B.. but.. who cares 😉
    He looks very sweet and handsome!

• The color is more I would guess from a Rhodesian Ridgeback (as that is the color they are) then a Basenji as is the head type… but he is very cute and certainly you are welcome here...

• very cute! and i also thought he looked like a RR. as he grows it will be easier to tell.

and if you don't like the name "George", by all means change it. i think dogs coming from bad situations (not that yours did) should always have a new name to go along with a new (better) life. if they'v had a good life and respond to the name, i don't usually change it.

• It was nice of you to adopt him anyway (even if no basenji in him).
    Cute looking nevertheless.

Suggested Topics