Lockdown puppies' flood rescue centres

@alibobo said in Lockdown puppies' flood rescue centres:

This makes me very sad and scared for the futures of all those unfortunate dogs

While it concerns me, it also makes me think that I should open my home to one of them. A second Basenji isn't out of the question for me. I've been thinking about bringing another B home anyway. It's something for me to reconsider. Perhaps I should contact BRAT in case they need homes or fosters in my area.

@elbrant
Kembe just turned 15 this past Monday 1/4. My biggest regret is that I did not have a second basenji as a companion for her. She’s having some issues due to age and I think it would be easier if she had a basenji friend.

@elbrant I think you should ! When Hoover (12) went into a decline over the death of Keepurr, I bought in Mku. He brought her back to life, almost to puppyhood. They bonded fiercely and she taught him life-skills while he taught her to have FUN again. Best purchase I ever made.

Now he is on his own, sadly. But not for long. Lockdown permitting, a new boy arrives on 17th January ! We are allowed out to buy essentials. And what could be more essential than a Basenji puppy ? He is about an hour's drive away and I also need to collect 9 small hazel trees and a large can of top quality olive oil left with his breeder for me by Mku's.

@jengosmonkey - Yes that is correct, responsible breeders have in their contracts that if ever the pup needs to be rehomed, regardless of the reason, they go back to the breeder as they have first right of refusal.

Most people have no idea of what a reputable breeder is. Anyone inquiring about a puppy should be advised to purchase only from a breeder who requires a signed contract that the pup be returned to the breeder for any reason at any age (and who does the necessary health tests - fanconi, etc.).

I would love to see elementary schools provide a class on animal husbandry to impress on kids what happens to that adorable puppy once it grows up and isn't wanted anymore... why having a litter of puppies or kitties is a HUGE responsibility... why animals need daily attention and should not be tied out or left out in a yard... etc.

Sorry for the lecture. As you can tell, I'm a little passionate on this subject - and I deleted 1/2 of what I wrote!

But @pawla, you speak for all of us who have bred / do breed Basenjis and who love the breed as a breed, not just individual Basenjis.

I wouldn't have been as abstemious as you !

@zande said in Lockdown puppies' flood rescue centres:

@elbrant I think you should ! When Hoover (12) went into a decline over the death of Keepurr, I bought in Mku. He brought her back to life, almost to puppyhood. They bonded fiercely and she taught him life-skills while he taught her to have FUN again. Best purchase I ever made.

Now he is on his own, sadly. But not for long. Lockdown permitting, a new boy arrives on 17th January ! We are allowed out to buy essentials. And what could be more essential than a Basenji puppy ? He is about an hour's drive away and I also need to collect 9 small hazel trees and a large can of top quality olive oil left with his breeder for me by Mku's.

Can I be nosey please and ask what the trees and olive oil are for? 😆 Just curious.

@alibobo Its very simple. I have a large garden surrounded by mixed hedges. Mku's breeder lives near a forest and seedlings appear in her garden.

I grub out ivy from my hedges and this leaves gaps which are filled with small hazels which she pots up and gives to me. No waste and no cost - suits everyone.

Once in the hedges, the hazels grow and thicken as they are cut twice a year and fill the hedges in nicely.

There is also wire netting - when we first got Basenjis back in 1981 we cut all the hedges in half and put independently strung small gauge wire netting up before letting the hedges grow back. Thus making the garden dog-proof but still visually very attractive.

Mku's breeder is not from UK. She is married to a Brit and lives and works in this country but she still has access to some excellent olive oil and from time to time gives me a very welcome addition to my larder.

last edited by Zande

@zande sounds lovely. I'd like to get some outdoor potted trees for my back yard but haven't decided what to go for yet. Also, the olive oil sounds delicious. Lucky you!

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.