• Hey All - Very likely bringing home a basenji soon! (My very first!)

I was looking for the perfect crate as I want something the pup will be comfortable in but also, something easily moveable for vet visits and suitable for crate training until I can get something more permanent for in home and use the crate separately for travel/vet anything else.

Anyway, I keep getting targeted ads (algorithm must be hearing me talk about puppies!) and came across one by Diggs. Not to sure if I can post links here but the create looks easy to dismantle and good for storing when I find something better but great to start out with. Wondered if any seasoned owners or breeders think this type of crate may be a bad or good idea?

Link here!

• @aalas89
    That looks like a really nice functional crate - but also expensive.

• I used a plastic shell crate for my first Basenji, and he hated it. So, I never used it. It looked like this...

alt text

I explained this to my breeder and she loaned me a collapsible wire crate. I love this crate. Super easy to setup and it stores really easy too. The dogs can see in all directions with no obstructions, so they seem much calmer when we are traveling in a car. The medium size gives more than enough space for one Basenji, but it's also big enough for two. I use one crate to transport two dogs short distances. They do well together. For longer trips I use two crates.

alt text

Frisco Heavy Duty Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Cratet

• @kembe Yes! It seemed great then I saw the price 😅 but it did come with a puppy divider to limit room and expand when they are a bit bigger, so maybe a good long-term investment

• @jengosmonkey

Thank you for the tip! 🙏🏼 I suppose it will boil down to the pup and what they might prefer - but the wire with more visibility seems like a way to go. I supposed i can always find crate covers as well to create a more “den” like atmosphere

• @aalas89 The Frisco crate does come with a wire barrier that you can install to reduce the length. I put a link right below the wire crate picture. You can essentially cut the space in half, or whatever. I let my Basenji's age in the barrel for almost 24 months, so they were mature (full grown) when I got them. I tossed the barriers. The tray slides out and is easy to clean if there's an accident. $35... to me, it was no brainer.

• Wire crates works best for me and always have, in fact when I have a litter they are whelped in a wire crate and brought up in them... I use them for travel in the car (SUV)... I use the larger size at home for sleeping and feeding (They always eat separate in crates if you have more than one and even if you have one best to feed them in their crates) crates are also in our bedroom for night time sleeping. In fact ours prefer to sleep in their crates then in the bed unless they are not feeling well, then they want to sleep in bed

• My experience (the problem child we never had, Ibis, was not the norm, so is not included here)
    They were all in a wire crate, about 3' high, 3 1/2 feet deep, a couple feet wide. It made me feel better knowing if they messed in their crate, they wouldn't have to lie in it. They were in their crate at night, and if we left the house. I had a little trouble with our first, but got her used to it. When she was 9 mos old, I asked her breeder if she had a male in the next litter, let me know, and we got Spicer. An immediate change in Sugar, she just needed a playmate. They slept in separate wire crates, next to each other.
    After that, each new dog started in a wire crate, moved to the dog room when we remodeled, and no problem that couldn't be solved. The crates are where they were fed, I think they kind of thought of them the way the kids felt about their bedrooms.

A few times they messed in their crate, they'd be nice and dry because they wouldn't have to lie in it.

The first one we got wanted my attention ALL DAY, hence the addition a year later. I thought she was hard work, but an angel compared to the problem child we never had!

Looking back, they were kind of easy, so I'm not much help. The only thing you mentioned that I'd do differently is not get a divider so the crate is smaller for a pup. But that's just me.

• The wire crate shown would work great
    Don’t spend a lot on floor covering for awhile they generally mail it pretty well. But don’t use rubber backed rugs, old blankets work well.
    When you’re Basenji starts to get more mild mannered you can start by leaving for 10-15 minutes with the door open then come right back. We did that with our (4) Basenjis. Our one Boy his whole life went to his crate when we went away with his door open.
    Enjoy you’re puppy there’s nothing like a Basenji experience. Lol

• @jengosmonkey Do you know what size (of this collapsable wire crate) would be most appropriate for a puppy/early training days? I am also bringing home my (first!) basenji in two weeks and am considering buying one puppy crate and then getting the medium size later on. Thanks!

• @suzanne There's better people to ask. @tanza, @Zande, @DonC, @Pawla, @eeeefarm come to mind. I'd just go with the Medium if it were me. It comes with a removeable barrier that allows you to decrease the depth, so you don't have to get inside it if your little one hides all the way in the back. It'll last your dog's whole life too. I suppose you could get a Small. The X-Small looks like it'll work for a couple months. Not much longer though. I think I recall one member here saying that they wrap their crates in blanket during winter to make it warm and more den like.

• In any case, a wire crate with all round visibility is infinitely preferable to one with solid sides.

Frankly, my crates are all on the large side with 2 doors. I want the dog to be able to stand, sit up and stretch, and lie fully stretched out in total comfort.

One is permanently in the car. My dogs have to ride in a crate. The idea of a Basenji running loose in the event of an accident is not one to contemplate.

If you are using it indoors or if the pup is to sleep in it next to your bed at night, you can always chuck a blanket over a wire crate.

I don't have the measurements of mine in my head but can check them later if anyone needs to know.

It is important to crate train puppies. I took a smaller one to Mku's breeder who left it up and open in the play area so the whole litter could play, sleep, chew things and even be fed in it by turns. Anything to help the transition from puppy to permanent home. It goes along with putting collars on the babes, late at night when they are about 3 weeks old. They wake in the morning and it feels completely normal. They have forgotten life without a collar!!

Just one more thing to help the new owner and the puppy.

• I use the wire crates like pictured, but drape a towel over them to promote heat retention (basenjis are cold a lot) and quiet time.

• Thank you all!! I am so excited to introduce you to my first Basenji in just two short weeks!!

• @suzanne Make sure you tell us his registered name and that of his parents etc, so I can ensure he is in the on-line pedigree database !

Actually, you probably know that already so we can add him and he will be there already when he arrives with you !

• @zande - And many of us are related by our Basenjis.... if you supply sire/dam's registered names we can all check

• @tanza AND perhaps we can add photos to the pedigrees - such a shame so few Forum Basenjis are even listed.

• @aalas89 and @suzanne One thing you might really consider doing is keeping a crate in your bedroom for your pup to sleep in if you're not going to allow the pup to sleep in/on the bed with you. If you try to keep your pup in a crate in another room you'll discover that Basenjis are not silent. In fact they can be quite vocal. And loud. And persistent. If you chose not to let them sleep in the room with you it's ok. It might take some time, but they'll eventually train you that being with you is really the only solution.

• Hey. I have my first Basenji and the diggs crate is great but I must admit it is heavy and bulky to take up and down the stairs. I had to buy an additional crate for travel because it was becoming too much. If you were looking for something to travel with I definitely wouldn’t recommend it especially because it is expensive. My puppy loves it though since he can see everything from it but you could get that from another crate.

Suggested Topics