Skip to content

Kennel Training

Basenji Training
  • Just to pile on -- just punning. Dogs are very social and pups grow up in puppy piles. They want to be near you.

    We learned this the hard way with our second Basenji. The first night we went to the bedroom and left him in what we thought was a very comfortable situation. He didn't think so and made us very aware of how he felt about all this.

    The second night we put him in a crate in the bedroom and he slept through the night.

    The next morning we looked at each other and said: "How dumb were we?"

  • Our 6 month old starts off in her dog bed next to ours and climbs into our bed about 2 or 3am. We sleep in a low bed so it's a bit too easy for her to get onto it!

  • In the bedroom, yes, of course, but why in a crate ? a dog-bed, nice and cosy-comfy, or better yet, in with you.

    Basenjis need people.

  • Prince 11 mos old is very good about his kennel. I use phrase "kennel up" and he goes willingly into it. He has been in kennel from first night home. It is next to my bed. I always give him a very special treat that he only gets at kennel time and lots of quality praise from Mom every time. He will go in, circle a couple of times, and usually lay down. Sometimes I give him a "shower" of training treats if I had to kennel him from really exciting play time---trickle 10 or so slowly through the top of the kennel onto the floor and talk in a fun voice, He also likes this. It works for us. He has started peeing in his kennel at times now, and I don't know why.

  • @daureen - make sure that he doesn't have a UTI, always check for medical reasons first before thinking behavior issue

  • Thank you, tanza. The vet did that...had to keep him after hours to get that special sample.

  • @daureen said in Kennel Training:

    He has started peeing in his kennel at times now, and I don't know why.

    Could it be that he is cold sometimes with the change in the weather at this time of year? Just a thought. And since he is next to your bed, you might notice him being restless before he relieves himself. My Basenjis have mostly slept with me, and if they had to "go" at night they would wake me.

  • @kembe

    That did the trick. Thanks.

  • Not only did it do the trick but he seems much happier (mine smiles, don't know about yours) and some of you mentioned that they know when bedtime is and Zaki started doing the same thing, he would look at me and sometimes even pull on my pant leg and then he would give me that "Look" and I would say "let's go to bed" and he would run up the stairs and go right in and lie down. I only wish I had asked about this with you guys much earlier.

  • Yay!!! πŸ‘ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Suggested Topics

  • Training Question

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    elbrantE
    Just a suggestion: When you see him "misbehaving" by chewing on 'less than ideal' items, offer him one of his toys and use the word "trade". In other words, 'chew on this instead', and when he accepts the toy - praise him. And when you see him get the toy on his own, praise him again. It could help him understand that certain toys are just for those times when you want to "rip someone's head off*". (*not meant literally, only in doggy world play)
  • Inconsistent training

    Basenji Training
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    10k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    @Kosuzu: I will get into agility when he is a little older, his bones are still too immature for that yet. I would also like to get Khalani into becoming a "therapy" dog as he has a beautiful nature, He can't be assessed for that until he is at least 18 months old. You must tell me more about the "skateboard", does he ride it? Have you ever videoed your agility, I'd love to see that. There are a few youtube videos of Zest! doing agility. Just seach "Zest Agility" and the r/w little basenji is mine. Those are all from her Novice days. She's now in Excellent. We've had quite a few set backs, but she has achieved her excellent agility titles in AKC. You can see my other 2 here: https://www.basenji.org/BasenjiU/Activities/Agility/AOb/stacles.html All but the dogs on the table are mine. Zest is also the star of the Agility Manuevers videos. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a local agility class. There are lots of foundation work you can do with puppies before you start doing jumps and weaves. The other two (Digital the brindlewonderkid and Jet the trying) are retired, but have certainly done a lot. Therapy work is so rewarding! You'll love it. Z and I are off to the Alzheimer's facility tomorrow. Both my boys also really loved it.
  • Leash training

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    tanzaT
    Love that Kathy…. BADsenji!!!!! Too perfect
  • Chief in training

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    renaultf1R
    @Forever: Zoe on the other hand has turned into a little witch. As was suggested I think she is protective of chief. She even turned on Lizzy when she came over the first few minutes than they were fine. But all her previous doggy friends get snarled at when chief gets near them. I hope she settles soon. She has one old dog who looks forward to seeing her on his walks flinching around her now. When Liyah was a baby - if Brando started to go off on her, Ruby would put herself in between Liyah & Brando. Ruby was very protective of Liyah when Liyah was a pup. Ruby doesn't interfere as much anymore - once in a while she gets involved - she pretty much just lets Brando handle it now.
  • Leash training

    Basenji Training
    42
    0 Votes
    42 Posts
    40k Views
    K
    These front-attaching harnesses work really well in my experience. As soon as the dog starts to pull, it will turn itself towards you, slowing it down. Otherwise the dog has every bit of freedom to do what it wants.
  • Training Brags

    Basenji Training
    43
    0 Votes
    43 Posts
    25k Views
    DukeD
    @Quercus: I would probably do that. But the benefit to taking them each to class is that they learn to do the behaviors in a distracting environment. The flip side to that is how on earth would you be able to train both dogs at the same time in the class? LOL!! I was thinking that my son would come with me and train Daisy, while I train Duke. Duke is the toughest student - REALLY spastic. :eek: Everything is a distraction. Daisy is much calmer. So I should bring Duke to class and then go thru the same training exercises at home with Daisy. I agree that training in a distracting environment WITH instructor's help is best. But, yeah - I should save some $$ and only take one. Gasoline prices are killing my budget! :mad: