• Hey all! Are there any Basenji owners on here who live in Atlanta, GA? My girlfriend recently found out about Basenjis online and fell in love. She's considering buying one but wants to meet one in person. We'd love to meet your dog if you live in the Atlanta area. Let me know if you can help us out. Thanks!

• There are a lot of Basenji Rescue And Transport (BRAT) members who live in that area. I'll check. I think there might be breeders too.
    -Joanne

• @cody-cowley Please check with The Basenji Club and they will steer you in the right direction.

I think your friend needs MORE info about this Ancient Breed. They are hard for people who have never had one. I would tell her to not get a Basenji as it a not a good idea. She can look for another Breed which may be more appropriate for her level of experience.

Thanks for asking the question even if you dislike my response!

• @antigone said in Meeting a Basenji:
    I would tell her to not get a Basenji as it a not a good idea. She can look for another Breed which may be more appropriate for her level of experience.

That's actually a bit of a presumptuous statement, you don't know anything about her level of experience. There was a time that I didn't know that much about Basenjis, I learned, we are now on our 6th and 7th. Yes, they can be a difficult breed, but that in itself is not necessarily a reason to tell someone not to get one.
    -Joanne

• Giza downer!!!

• @antigone
    I have to agree w/ your statements. Basenjis are a very difficult breed to deal with - you have to be on the same wave-length as the dog. I do not let anyone babysit my dog except my brother - who was a previous basenji owner. You truly have to understand and be "IN-TUNE" w/ the breed. People like all of their good qualities - no barking, clean, etc. They don't realize that they also have a lot of QUIRKY QUALITIES - "their way or no way"! ![alt text](image url)Don't get me wrong - I love my basenj more than anything - but I understand her and I keep myself one step ahead of her - she is a perfect dog - but it took a lot of training and patience . But she is "SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER!"

• Yep, I agree with Kembe and @antigone. Basenji quirks make them very frustrating to own. Researching about them on the internet is not the same as owning one. Good advice to meet one first. Best wishes for finding your next little friend. 🧡

• Basenjis can be difficult, no question. But all of us who have them had a first one, and learned (or not!) to cope with their quirkiness. Some are definitely more challenging than others, so if getting a pup it is a good idea to pay attention to the temperaments of parents and siblings. Reading a bit on the forum and tapping into the wealth of knowledge that is out there should help prepare the prospective owner. I got my first Basenji on the strength of having read James Street's "Goodbye My Lady", and for what it's worth she was the most reliable and obedient Basenji I have ever had, perhaps because I went into it with few preconceptions and trained her as I had all my previous dogs. Here's Val back in the day.
    0_1541893862947_01val.JPG
    0_1541893898764_Valx.jpg
    The first picture is at the stables where I boarded my horse, the second is in my parents' backyard in the city of Toronto. Our yard was not fenced. Val doesn't even have a collar on, let alone a leash. I used to walk her loose in the city. She never betrayed my trust. None of my subsequent Basenjis have been as reliable! I guess she never got the memo about typical Basenji behaviour!

I am not suggesting that I was wise, but I didn't know any better and neither did she. These days, with the internet and forums, it's a lot easier to get help if you need it.

• Val is GORGEOUS!

• @giza1 frankly I would argue that it is less to do with experience and more to do with the person. Reading and education are good, so is meeting one and spending time with one. However the most important thing is whether the person is a “Basenji person”. Hard to characterize, but you need to be patient, determined (maybe even tenacious) and most importantly have a good sense of humor. I bet that if you got all the successful, experienced Basenji owners together, you would find they all have many of the same character traits. To own a Basenji you also need to be at least half as smart as the dog.

• @kembe I agree, there is a level above what you would normally experience with a dog. If you have that ability to understand what the dog is thinking and are in tune with them, then the bond is very strong and it is very rewarding.

• Please read the "Zande Put Off" on Sally Wallis' page. Her kennel name is Zande and she and her husband, Marvin, have produced many of the best basenjis in England. I read the "put off" and got my first basenji anyway.😀 I've now had 4 and hope to have another someday.

• Hi, I live in Midtown Atlanta and have three basenjis, contact me should you wish to come meet them.

Ben

• I have had dogs my entire life.. many mixed (usually part Chows), got into Rottweilers almost 30 years ago, did rehab/training for all breed rescues as well as Chows. I got my first basenji about 17 years ago. People keep saying they are so different than other breeds... but honestly, that's sort of true with any breed. And within the breed, the differences are enormous. I can promise you what you read online about any breed won't come close to the personal experience!

What does she like about Basenjis? What are traits she cannot deal with (for example, I wouldn't choose to live with yippy dogs)? Is she willing to find a good obedience class? (I lived about 40 mile N of Atlanta, btw... but moved to Israel so I'm no help). If you want to private message me, I'll happily tell you some I'd recommend and a few I wouldn't let train a stuffed toy. Yes, there are several breeders around Atlanta. Some are incredibly welcoming, like Gail with Undercover Basenjis. In fact, when we started to show, I was impressed with the kindness of all the local breeders.

But options don't just include puppies. If you want a well-bred puppy, get on lists NOW since this is the time when litters start hitting the ground and waiting lists get full. Talk to breeders-- some may have 6 mo to older dogs that either didn't work out for show, or are champions and not fitting breeding goals. Those animals need homes as much as puppies and they come fairly trained.

Another option is Camp Basenji rescue in Florida. She does not have pups now, but she is utterly incredible in training and picking the right dog for the right home. I have my soon to be 8 (or is it 9?) year old rescue from Pam snuggled up sleeping with my adult daughter right now. She is absolutely honest about her rescues and I cannot recommend her strongly enough. You can go to youtube and look at her with her rescues. https://www.youtube.com/user/flbasenji/videos

http://www.campbasenji.org/ or if on facebook https://www.facebook.com/Camp-Basenji-469761239735368/

Breeder directory at Basenji Club of America, click to get breeders by state in right side. Not all breeders are listed.

https://www.basenji.org/about-basenjis/breeder-directory

• @vasmith26 said in Meeting a Basenji:

Please read the "Zande Put Off" on Sally Wallis' page. Her kennel name is Zande and she and her husband, Marvin, have produced many of the best basenjis in England. I read the "put off" and got my first basenji anyway

Big THANK YOU for that !

I need to rewrite it, along with Survival of the Fittest and all the other stuff on that website but I simply don't have time with the database taking up so many hours each week...

OK, it didn't put you off, vasmith26, but as long as it gave you something to think about, it worked !

• @debradownsouth I would also add, that just as within the breed there are variations / personalities (just as there are amongst different breeds), their environment also makes a huge difference. Ultimately my dogs share some traits and habits, no doubt because they adapt to me and my environment. The greatest Basenji compliment ever was when my breeder Jean Martin came to my house to check out the new puppy’s home when I had Suzy for a few months. I used freeze dried liver treats and we were in the back yard. I commanded both dogs sit and then lay down for them, which they did perfectly. Jean said “my goodness you do have them both well trained”.

• @dagodingo
    You are absolutely right! I can READ my Basenji and know exactly what she's thinking but she can also read me. I think back 12 1/2 years ago when I first got her - in the first two weeks she was able to take off on me where I was chasing her around the neighborhood - it has NEVER HAPPEN SINCE - as I had to become SMARTER than her. It definately takes a different kind of mind-set when dealing w/ a Basenji. I did take my basenji to doggie school which I feel was extremely beneficial- it trained ME how to deal w/ her- lol. Keeping them active is so important - I walk my dog three times a day for a total of 3-5 miles per day. This keeps her stimulated, active, and out in the fresh air. I would hate anyone not to experience the love and satisfaction of having a Basenji but I think they must understand the work and commitment of owning such a a regal breed. It's not fair to the dog unless you're willing to give 110%!

• @eeeefarm Love these photos!

• @giza1 I was not assuming anything. She stated that she had seen a Dog on the Internet and based upon that she wanted to get one. I wanted to be sure she did her homework as these little Homewreckers are quite a handful for those that have no experience with them. I would hate for her to get a Puppy and not be able to deal with all the Stubborn, Take No Prisoners, Refusal to Negotiate aspects of the breed. All of that is exactly why I love the Breed. I had mine for 16 years and we went on a lot of adventures together.

They are Fabulous Dogs for those who can deal with that Personality!

🙂

• @eeeefarm Not only was your Dog gorgeous but the Horse is too! You are clearly a fantastic Animal Steward! Continued happiness for you and yours!

🙂

Suggested Topics