• @eeeefarm My girl whom I brought home at 12 weeks slept in the Bed with me under the covers and between my feet. She slept soundly and when I woke up I took her outside right away. I crated my Dog when we were in the Car. She was a Houdini! I had a stainless steel Crate that she spent 3 hours pushing and biting and then she slid the top back and made her escape. After that, I never crated her in the House. She slept with me every night of her life. She was a good traveler and I took her everywhere including on the Train to work. She was so small when she was a Puppy that people were fascinated by her.

• The vet will have to decide on the hips, and so next time a vet visit is required, like her regular shots. Some shots are relevant to pups, and some for the rest of her life. If the pup walks outside make sure her shots are uptodate.

• Hello and congratulations on your new pup arriving this winter!

I never woke up my basenjis while they were sleeping at night, but definitely when you wake up, you will need to take your B outside immediately (or as soon as you can get a clothes, shoes and a coat on!). Also when your puppy has gone outside, give him/her big, big praise. Some people also have used a command like "do your business" when letting the pup outside to go --it is another reinforcement of the routine.

That being said, a puppy will have accidents in the house--don't fuss, just take the pup outside (to instill the routine of going outside to go ) and then bring the pup back in after a few minutes.

Nature's Miracle is a great product to use to clean up urine, it breaks down the enzymes in the urine and keeps your floors clean.

A puppy will play, play, play, then bonk! take a nap, then up again, play, play, play. Taking a pup out for a walk is the way the puppy will learn to walk on a lead and also learn about the world, so take your pup out often to explore the world and give him/her time to learn. I remember one time we were walking our pup and he just STOPPED and sat down--he had reached his limit! So we picked him up and carried him home. It is a great memory.

• @basenji_life said in New puppy owner Questions:

@tanza Thank you for your reply πŸ™‚ The breeder only tests for Fanconi. So no other tests have been done. Is that unusual?

A responsible breeder tests their dogs for not only Fanconi but for PRA (another DNA test for night blindness), Hips, Thyroid, Eyes. See the link on one of my Basenjis and the testing that has been done. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1415062

In regards to waking a pup to potty at night, my Basenjis (been in the breed since 1991) sleep in crates in the bedroom as pups. I have found with all my Basenjis, a quick wake up, quick potty, they go right back to sleep now without a full bladder. To each their own, this has worked for me, especially if you are crate training

• @b5004ever thank you for the advice and sharing your puppy story πŸ™‚

• @basenji_life basically for a good breeder the tests are expensive, which is why a dog from a good breeder costs more. However in the long run it will probably work out vastly cheaper and the last thing you need is a sick dog. How much is your stress worth? That’s how I look at it anyhow. I agree with Tanza β€œA responsible breeder tests their dogs for not only Fanconi but for PRA (another DNA test for night blindness), Hips, Thyroid, Eyes. See the link on one of my Basenjis and the testing that has been done. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1415062”. For potty training I always used the potty pads, started with them in the main room and moved them to the kitchen door after they were used to them. Then once they are going outside regularly, no more pads. All three of my dogs were fast learners, Basenjis are fastidiously clean dogs lol. It’s also really important to praise the dog when they go outside and do their stuff, you can’t bluff them so be genuine! They also respond very well to rewards, some dogs are food oriented and others it’s play or walks etc. once you find out what motivates them, they learn very fast.

• @basenji_life Try to get the OFA registration numbers for the parents as it will make it easier to find them rather than using the kennel name. Hope that I am not giving you information you already know but AKC registered names are not necessarily the same as the name their called (call name). My first Basenji, a show dog, had the registered name of Dune's Midnight Windsong. Her call name was Ella.

If you want to do more background research on your new pups pedigree go to the Basenji Pedigree web site and search for the kennel name: http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/

Good luck! Puppies are little monsters.

• Many breeders these days litter box train their pups, myself included. Hate using the pee pads or newspaper.... reason, you ask.... if you train pups to use these, anything on the floor that looks the same, they will pee on... they would not know the difference if the texture is the same.... love using a litter box....

• My last B came to me litter box trained, and it was so easy. I had a litter box set up for him when I brought him home and he went right to it and used it. No accidents in the house. To transition him, I took the litter box outside where I wanted him to go and he used it there. After a day or so, I took the litter box up and took him to the spot and gave him the "go potty" command, and he got it right away. My current B wasn't litter box trained and it was much harder with her.

• @lifewithava @tanza I checked with the breeder and she has a separate section where the puppies go potty, filled with a straw like material that you would normally see in a chicken coop.

• Hopefully you have checked out on www.offa.org for the Fanconi DNA test on the Sire/Dam of the litter? And as I have noted responsible breeders will test for PRA (another DNA test for night blindness), Hips, Thyroid, Eyes

• @tanza Yes I checked the site and the breeder did do the test for Fanconi (most dogs clear and a few carrier) and the Eyes (normal) but not the rest (hips, thyroid). I noticed the history for the dogs was available, some of the grandparents had all the tests done with thyroid being normal and hips being excellent. I also met all the dogs and they looked healthy and well socialized.

@tanza Yes I checked the site and the breeder did do the test for Fanconi (most dogs clear and a few carrier) and the Eyes (normal) but not the rest (hips, thyroid). I noticed the history for the dogs was available, some of the grandparents had all the tests done with thyroid being normal and hips being excellent. I also met all the dogs and they looked healthy and well socialized.

If you were an experienced breeder, then I'd say you could look at them and know if healthy. If you were an experienced basenji owner, you could judge socialization. You can't look at a dog and know for sure if healthy, and certainly if not experienced. As for hips, they can't , as someone suggested, just have a vet check a pup and tell you. PenHip can be done young, OFA recommends 6 mos for prelim. Without x-rays, no one can tell you if your dog's hips are okay. Hips aren't very high in the breed, but should still be checked.

I swore no dog ever in my bed and then that's where the first baby basenji and the next 2 ended up. I raised every other puppy in a crate next to the bed. So whatever fits you.

They tend to be not only destructive, but very creative. You'll learn to put your stuff away and secure the trash.

• @debradownsouth Thanks, I was already going to bring the pup to the vet to get checked + vaccines but now I'll make sure to get the hips tested as well.

• @basenji_life Sounds like you are well prepared and on the right track. Welcome to hell! Lol. Remember this, no matter how bad that puppy is and no matter what challenges you face as it gets older and tests you, never lose patience or give up. By the time it is time to say goodbye many years from now, I guarantee you will wish the time had not passed so quickly. Basenjis are smart and will teach you and give you way more love than you can ever repay. Savor every moment, it is worth it!

• @dagodingo Thank you! πŸ™‚ I'm looking forward to the good AND the bad! Hehe :smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes:

@dagodingo Thank you! πŸ™‚ I'm looking forward to the good AND the bad! Hehe :smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes:

So brave!!!! It's not that the puppy will be bad, it's just that they'll be a puppy. And sometimes that means they will do exactly what you don't want them to. Sometimes a sense of humor is required. And some fencing. And a crate. LOL

• @basenji_life

The vet can manipulate to see if something severe is wrong, but hips xrays need to wait til 6 mos (OFA) or (I think.. too tired to look) 4 mos.. oh heck I have to look..
    "The PennHIP method can be reliably performed on a dog as young as 16 weeks old."

Suggested Topics