For Sale/Waiting List Post Rules: Read First

• @noodle:

Please could you tell me why you do not allow posts in your 'For Sale' forum from outside the US/Canada.
    Thanks.

Though it is against the forum rule to post "For Sale" ads from outside the US/Canada, breeders are allowed to announce their breeding plans or litter births in the Breeding section.

• Also, quality breeders do their breeding to improve the breed they love.
    They don't do it for $$ or because the have a male and female.
    As posted on other areas, quality breeders usually make NO $$ on the pups…

• Houston

Back to the for sale outside of the states question…if for instance our European members post their litters for sale, why would that be against the rules? I guess they would be aiming for european buyers? or is it common for buyers from here to get their B's in Europe and have them sent over here via plane? It seems a very long trip for a dog, I know I hate those cross atlantic trips with a passion and we do them yearly.

• I too wonder why it is against forum rules for breeders to post litters for sale from other countries?

• @tanza:

Sorry… there is no responsible breeder that would place puppies in a pet store... no way .... sorry... and I am saying that 90% of people that sell over the internet are NOT responsible breeder.. there are a few breeders that put ads on the internet to try and go against the BYB's..... and hope that they read, learn, understand how to find a responsible breeder.... and honestly.. if they are responsible ... they don't need to put puppies on the internet.. they have reservations list for any litters they are planning.

Hello, Tanza..
    The way If the breeder shouldnt put on net the a pup! Good breeders must be very wariliy about when and how much plan, do litters! We shouldnt do litter only why - somebody will buy them of course… its sad! Our sire is not yet made, but I have 4 (2pet, 2 breeder) fix people to waiting for my pup... this is the best, I think!!!

• @africanbasenji:

Hello, Tanza..
    The way If the breeder shouldnt put on net the a pup! Good breeders must be very wariliy about when and how much plan, do litters! We shouldnt do litter only why - somebody will buy them of course… its sad! Our sire is not yet made, but I have 4 (2pet, 2 breeder) fix people to waiting for my pup... this is the best, I think!!!

Exactly, breeders (responsible ones) will have reservations for puppies before they breed. When the pups are born they will already have potential new homes… responsible breeders do not breed and then has to advertise them in the internet for sale.

Do not mistake this as responsible breeders should not put ads on many of these sites, because they should. We need ads from responsible breeder to try and teach people what a responsible breeder is and how to fine one. A few of us on this Forum have ads from time to time on NextDayPets or PuppyFind, but it is for education when they contact you about buying a Basenji.

• @tanza:

Exactly, breeders (responsible ones) will have reservations for puppies before they breed. When the pups are born they will already have potential new homes… responsible breeders do not breed and then has to advertise them in the internet for sale.

Do not mistake this as responsible breeders should not put ads on many of these sites, because they should. We need ads from responsible breeder to try and teach people what a responsible breeder is and how to fine one. A few of us on this Forum have ads from time to time on NextDayPets or PuppyFind, but it is for education when they contact you about buying a Basenji.

Yes, I think the same 😉 Good to se that your are responsible about your Basenjis! Everybody should learn the responsibility…
    hugs, B

• Pat, I just looked at your site, and it only lists one litter this year. I thought that you were going to have two?

• @etzbseder:

Pat, I just looked at your site, and it only lists one litter this year. I thought that you were going to have two?

I am only listing the one right now, as we are not for sure that we all agree on the sire for the other co-breeding. If we can't agree on the sire after all, we will not do a co-breeding. I had thought that we had agreed, but turns out I jumped the gun a little to quickly.

• Ok, no problem. You know where I stand in my desires for a puppy. I love the fact that all the puppies and parents are taken into consideration an are planned for before breeding. It really decreases the chance of issues.

• @etzbseder:

Ok, no problem. You know where I stand in my desires for a puppy. I love the fact that all the puppies and parents are taken into consideration an are planned for before breeding. It really decreases the chance of issues.

Yup… I know, I still hope that it might work out, but time will tell. We are looking at other possible studs to use.

• We came up with the US/Canada restriction initially to protect our forum users from potential fraud which we have seen too many times happen when the seller is located overseas.

Also, since the breeder would be located far away in another country it would be quite difficult for him/her to provide support a responsible breeder should provide to the buyer located in the US/Canada.

Since the date of our initial for sale rules post we have gained a lot more international users on the forum who can buy and sell within their own region. We are open to suggestions how rules can be potentially revised to include international members.

• There are not many that post Basenjis or pups for sale here, at least not by responsible breeders. We may announce a litter that we are planning but not that we have pups for sale. I don't think that should be any different the our member breeders overseas. Then if a Forum member is interested they can contact that person privately for more information and it is their responsibility to do the research about the breeder and things like health testing. I do not think this forum should be used to sell puppies. The few that have posted here are "in my opinion" less then responsible.

But nothing wrong with posting breeding plans, different the posting puppies for sale

• Pat, I have to agree with your statement of "I do not think this forum should be used to sell puppies. The few that have posted here are "in my opinion" less then responsible."

I think it would do this forum proud to have the thread be, Basenji's for Rescue, Re-homing, Fostering &/or Transport.

Just my HO.

• snorky998, thank you for your response. We already have a whole category for Basenji Rescue.

http://www.basenjiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Pat, I agree with you, we will consider the "Breeding Plans" format for those breeders who want to announce their breeding plans.

• I think that is a good way to go, then people can announced their planned litters and the Forum doesn't become a place to just sell puppies….

• I understand rescue - I have done rescue - but remember - by providing homes for these dogs who are in situations through no fault of their own - you are supporting the production of puppies from puppy mills. By promoting rescue over purchace from a reputable breeder - the PM's continue breeding because they do not care and reputable breeder stop - because we do.

There are many other breeds having this very same discussion - no easy answers but be wary of promoting rescue to the detriment of the responsibly bred - pure bred dog.

• @dmcarty:

I understand rescue - I have done rescue - but remember - by providing homes for these dogs who are in situations through no fault of their own - you are supporting the production of puppies from puppy mills. By promoting rescue over purchace from a reputable breeder - the PM's continue breeding because they do not care and reputable breeder stop - because we do.

There are many other breeds having this very same discussion - no easy answers but be wary of promoting rescue to the detriment of the responsibly bred - pure bred dog.

Are you saying these dogs should not be rescued?? That can't be right. I don't understand how rescuing dogs from a shelter means we are supporting puppy mills. I totally get the purchasing from the pet stores. That just seems a stretch.

• I don't think that is what Diane is saying. What she is saying is that by promoting rescues above responsibly bred dogs people inadvertently perpetuate the puppy mill cycle. These dogs end up in rescue because their breeders have no need to take responsibility for them because rescue will be there to clean up after them meanwhile responsible breeders lose good homes to rescue and breed less and less making it harder for people to find a responsible breeder to buy from and so the cycle continues.

• @dash:

Are you saying these dogs should not be rescued?? That can't be right. I don't understand how rescuing dogs from a shelter means we are supporting puppy mills. I totally get the purchasing from the pet stores. That just seems a stretch.

I think the idea is that so many responsible people are now being told by the media and animal rights groups that the ONLY ethical thing to do is to adopt a pet rather than purchase one. It hurts respsonsible breeders because we breed to continue the existance of a breed that we love…we need to find wonderful homes for the puppies that we can't keep. A lot of those wonderful homes are being filled by dogs who were rescued, after being given up, after they were purchased from an irresponsible breeder who didn't take the dog back when the situation they sold it into failed to be a forever home. That was a horrible sentence...but it is early here...

No one here believes that dogs shouldn't be rescued...of course they should...but it does make fewer homes for carefully bred dogs, and it forces responsible breeders to breed fewer dogs. So that equals fewer well bred, healthy basenjis out there....

Suggested Topics