To Lepto or not to Lepto

Hello my friends,

I know many of you do not feel that the Lepto is a necessary vaccination for your dogs. My vet though spent the better part of 20 min trying to convince me that not giving Lycia's Lepto was really dangerous. Any thoughts ?? I have confirmed that it doesn't affect her passport, so its really up to me to decide whether she gets this booster or not. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Best,
Lauren

I've chosen not to give Lepto to my dogs, but you need to look at how many cases of Lepto there are in your area (or areas you're going to). Has she had the Lepto before? If so, could you do a titer?

I agree with agile basenji, it depends on the prominence of it in your area. On a side note, my vet tried to talk me into giving Oakley the Lyme vaccine even though he's on frontline, his outside interactions are limited and strictly monitored AND I'm meticulous about screening him after each outside visit…that on top of his bad reactions to vaccines! I told him to go scratch. I feel like vets ALWAYS give the guilt trip, but only you can decide what's right and what's not necessary.

I never give Lepto, I have seen too many that have had reactions… that said, agile basenji makes a good point depending on the area...

Though Lepto does exist in this area the serovars in the vaccines sold do not give immunity for the ones present in this area so my vet does not recommend it. Also, though administered only once every year it is often only effective for 6 months giving people a false sense of security that their animal is protected when it may not be.

We never gave lepto when we lived in CA, but we do here in TX. It is much more of a problem here. Plus, we live in a rural area with lots of wildlife and lots of streams, creeks, ponds, and lakes to help it spread.

Terry

@lvoss:

Though Lepto does exist in this area the serovars in the vaccines sold do not give immunity for the ones present in this area so my vet does not recommend it. Also, though administered only once every year it is often only effective for 6 months giving people a false sense of security that their animal is protected when it may not be.

thanks for clarifying that - i couldn't remember if there were different strains of Lepto or if i was thinking of something else.

And consider how your dog has reacted to past vaccinations. Of course that's not a for-sure thing that she won't have a reaction if she's never had a reaction, but I'd think long and hard about the vaccination if your dog HAS had a reaction. Either way, it is a calculated risk.

I personally know of at least one case of immune mediated hemolytic anemia pursuant to a lepto shot. Enough to give me pause about giving it, although I have, without consequence. Of course, the condition can also be triggered by getting the disease itself…..

When I took Loki in for his 2nd set of shots, the vet gave him the one with Lepto as I stupidly forgot to specifically mention for him not to have it, I thought she had looked over his chart well enough which mentioned no Lepto due to medical concerns. He was lethargic and didn't want to eat that day which is pretty normal, but what worried me was that he was very sensitive to being touched, even in areas that weren't close to the location of the shot. He actually cried out a couple times when I went to pick him up or pet him, barely even laying a finger on him and that wasn't normal for him as I had been able to pick him up or do whatever (literally- tug on ears, tail, poke him, pull and spread toes, etc. only exception was trying to bring the dremel close to him) prior to the shot without so much as a peep from him, even when in a deep sleep. The next set of shots I specified w/out Lepto (though the vet gave me some grief about it) and it was as if he hadn't even gone to the vet. No lethargy, no sensitivity, nothing. He came home from the vet and promptly did the B-500 throughout the house and yard and was his usual self. He also had no reaction with his very first set of shots which were w/out. Vet tried to gloat saying that she proved my breeder wrong and that Lepto wasn't a problem, those reactions were normal, but the differences between Lepto and no Lepto for him have led me to choose no Lepto.

As stated it doesn't protect against all strains and even then for only 6 mths, which was a big consideration for me. It's a personal choice and really depends on what you are comfortable with and whether you feel it is necessary.

First Basenji's

@Terry:

We never gave lepto when we lived in CA, but we do here in TX. It is much more of a problem here. Plus, we live in a rural area with lots of wildlife and lots of streams, creeks, ponds, and lakes to help it spread.

Terry

Same here in Central Florida. I only give the required Rabies, Lepto, and now am considering not doing Bordetella. I do not house with other dogs in an enclosed area, only outside with open air etc. I am doing more research. It boils down to your local area's exposure and for now-laws concerning the vaccines.

Well, I have decided not to give the Lepto. I took the advice of many different breeders, and have read up on the subject. We haven't had negative reactions when she had it, but from my reading and my conversations I do not believe the vaccination behooves her much. A bit of a scary decision actually but I think it's the right one.

wow i dont know was a bad thing.. my girls both gets lepto and bordetella and dont get any visible reaction.

I made the blood panel and Maca has a deviation.. but will repet soon. Laika was okay. well i made too for blood parasites because here there are plenty.

I did have a dog react.. she looked like a manatee but she was still with her breeder, an awesome vet tech, so not a biggie. But I began doing research and decided that most logical was if it is in your area, give it. If it isn't common, more vaccines does not – imho -- equal better.

The my daughter was in Costa Rica doing volunteer work, they took a break white water rafting, got dumped into the water and she and 2 other kids came home with lepto. SHE was lucky, as she had a sinus infection (she nearly drowned btw), so we put her on steroids and antibiotics immediately for that. The doctors think she had a milder case thanks to it. The other two, boys, both ended up hospitalized and were in pretty bad shape. One parent (lots of financial resources) had called in a tropical disease doctor who identified it pretty fast when the hospital didn't -- guiding the testing for Leora and the other guy. It was a bloody nightmare with testing forever .

So, I have experience of the horrible kind with it. Guess what, I still say research and if it's not in your area, consider not doing it. If it IS a problem near you, not worth risking it. .. get the vaccine and watch for problems.

yep, i give water bottled to my girls, but sometimes i think is a bad thing because they dont make the way to reaction to parasites, but well sometimes before i get noticed they drink dirty water..

here is very hot and we have plenty of lepto, salmonella, hartworm and such other bugs, so i give my girls every vaccine avaliable..and giving the heartguard and still get Maca infected with that worm 😞 well i stop some months.. my fault, now i give everymonth. she is fine.

In few months will make new x ray of maca cheast to check her hart and new blood panel..

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.