Skip to content

Not Interested In Eating His Food!

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Eating Disorder or Normal?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    12
    1 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    D
    @annie said in Eating Disorder or Normal?: That is call him Catfish Ha! Damn you auto-correct.
  • Eating Very Little

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    dmeyD
    Yogurt works really well for when they may have upset stomach…. P.D. is it unusually cold there as it is here?
  • Eating faeces

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    7k Views
    JISGARDJ
    Hi Shelley – Poppy did the same when she was a puppy with her own and the other dogs offerings but she has grown out of it now with the exception of rabbit droppings and as Scott says cat droppings which most dogs seem to find irresistible!. We have been feeding Royal Canin with no problems, so it may not be down to that. It may be a family trait! Steve.
  • Grass eating and vomiting

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    A
    My B's do this sometime as well. Miles will eat grass when he has an upset stomach, however Akeyla will just eat it and it's no big deal. I haven't had a major problem with it. Sorry that's all I got :)
  • Homemade food?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    ibi_n_saneI
    i have no recepies, i make my own dog food most of the time as well and it is quite easy: cooked rice or cooked noodles ( I prefer noodles as that has more energy for my dogs ) then you add raw beef , mince, chicken, liver, kidneys , lamb whatever kind of meat, or fish ! and if you wish you can also add some mashed veggies and/ or herbs. By the way I only give noodles in the winter when they can use a bit more energy / fat. otherwise I mainly feed them raw and also bones and fresh tripe etc. But I guess that is not what you meant ;)
  • Raw food continued

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    6k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    I did buy a grinder-kind of in between a commercial and home use one. It will grind bones. When Zina was on the basic raw, she was on chicken and bone. But there were no organs in it. She was on it for about a month-supposedly to rid her body of toxins. Like I said she did fine at first, but when I started on the mixtures, that's when it went to pot. I wonder if I start her on one thing with organs and bones, maybe beef? if she would still have a reaction. What do you guys think about this. If she is allergic to chicken, and I'm still unsure about this (I wonder if she's sensitive to it), is she also allergic to other fowl?? The think I worry about is that if I do put her on one type of meat, will she get all her nutritional value? Freezer space isn't a problem, I can always pick up a second hand one fairly cheap, but I do have a 27' one and two small house freezers. Also, don't forget, this is a boxer. I haven't heard of a case of Fanconi in a boxer myself. If you are on a higher protein diet, your creatinine levels tend to be higher as well. I believe, this is why when you are on the Atkins diet, you still have to watch your intake. And Zina will not live another 5 years, most likely. What I have to do is make her life comfortable now. If she's happy for 3 more years and then I have to put her down, so be it. At least she was happy in the time she spent on this side of the Rainbow Bridge. It's better than the miserable first 7 months she spent. And this was not a breeder problem. The pet people who had her did not listen to the breeder, caused the issue to explode, literally, and the replacement puppy died at 2 1/2 of issues as well. I can get the meat fairly cheap, as I do have the grinder and the butchers will sell cheaper if they don't have to do anything to the meat. I also have the space, if this does work, to grow some of my own food for them. If I have to go to pork, because she's allergic to chicken, then in 6 months, I can have enough food for a long time. But I want to make sure of what I am doing first. She deserves to be happy.