I am new to the forum… I have had 2 basenjis -Tanner (12 with fanconi) and ALi (16 plus) that have passed and added so much life and fun to my life. ALi had so many funny "moves" and "spaz" moments - he was a comic that was just a sheer pleasure. Ali I put through obedience school- he was not too snarky. Loved other dogs -not too much on the people side. Tanner was agressive, I got too young from the breeder (5.5 weeks) . He was insecure and protective of me. He was snarky and did not like other dogs. But the two got along well, until late in thir old age - then they tolerated each other.
I am ready for another 1or 2 and just wanted to get a check from all on my experiences with my boys - were their traits common to basenjis ?? or did I not train them enough ??
1. OBS #1: they were only affectionate on their terms and didnt like to be petted or picked up.Is this more common than not. They wanted to be by you, but hands off for the most part.
2. OBS#2: Off the leash - they are unpredictable and may not come when called. Had some wild roaming experiences at the off-leash beach. Always kept treats -and 95% of the timeit worked.Can you train them to counter this? or is this a stretch ?
3. OBS#3: Not snuggly
4. OBS#4: Only looked me in the eye when I had food- everything was a distraction.
5. QUES#5: I know all dogs are different, but whats the best and worst scenario for getting two ??? 2 males,both puppies,fromthe same litter ? This would likely create a training nightmare I would think . Are they better with other Basenjis or not ?? what about a basenji and another type of dog ??
6. QUES #6: Looking for a breeder that does the good fanconi test and does temperament testing on the eastcoast .. ANy recommendations ??
Viv in Northern Virginia