• Agree Nemo…. only in the case of a bitch do both (all) owners/co-owners have to sign litter papers.

• @Nemo:

Having a co-ownership on a dog will not stop an unscrupulous person from breeding a dog they get from you. It does not give you that much leverage.

And also I would like to mention that if someone wants to do performance with their dogs, having a conformationally "correct" dog with good structure is important too. They would likely fit in the "show potential" category for choosing dogs. But in that case, the dogs don't need to be intact.

This is true. but at least they wont be able to register them without your permission since you have to sign off on them, isnt that correct? but its true, co ownerships are not bullet proof

Yes that is true too. i like performance events with my dogs. I plan to be active in that and the ring. makes it more fun. but its nice that they dont have to be intact for that.

• @tanza:

Agree Nemo…. only in the case of a bitch do both (all) owners/co-owners have to sign litter papers.

didnt realize you wrote this until i posted my response. So good, it is true lol :)i thought so

• But isn't that just the case if they want to do AKC registration? If they decide to do Continental KC or any of the other sham registries, can't they still get away with it and sell the puppies?

• Of course they don't have to register them at all to sell puppies.

• Co-ownership will not stop unscrupulous breeding and does not stop puppies from a male dogs from being registered with AKC and in all honesty is only limited protection with females because the co-owner can petition AKC to register the litter without the other owner's signature. It is one reason that AKC doesn't really want co-ownerships. They don't want to get involved in disputes between co-owners.

• wow. that seems really messed up. Cant the contract do anything about it? I mean cant you take someone to court if they void the contract?? interesting to learn these things.

• @Nemo:

Of course they don't have to register them at all to sell puppies.

thats for sure 😞

Suggested Topics