Skip to content

Aggressive Behavior

Behavioral Issues
  • My basenji's started growling/snarling at me when I approach him when he's hiding under the bed or behind the couch (he does this when he knows I'm getting ready to leave).

    He just started doing this in the last month or two.

  • Do you crate him when you leave? If so, perhaps he is objecting to the confinement. Try this. Put something he really likes to eat in his crate about 20 minutes or so before you are going out. Lock him out of the crate. By the time you are ready to leave, he will likely want that crate door open! (you can condition this before you use it for going out by doing it when you have no plans to leave.) If a crate isn't the issue and you normally leave him loose, just leave! :)

  • The longer you allow this behavior, the harder it will be to stop it. If you are going out, shut him out of the bedroom. Put a leash on him if necessary before he knows what's up. In fact, it is of course great to do that a couple of times a day for a few minutes so he doesn't KNOW what is coming. Treat when leashing. Treat and happy praise when you take it off. Get the leash, put in the crate and treat. Leave for a minute, let out of crate. Keep repeating til you can easily get him into the crate. Make the crate more fun.. food, toys, etc, because this is a 2 fold problem –- he is acting bad (which you cannot allow to continue) because he hates his crate. Working on getting him in there a LOT for a few minutes of something good on a regular basis should help decrease the drama til you can stop with the leash in a couple of months. OBVIOUSLY remove the leash in the crate and collar too if you are using one.

  • Pearl used to be aggressive when she was asleep and we tried to move her. She would snarl, rather scary. We just stopped trying to move her. Really we wanted to roll her over to pet her tummy. So we just went over and let her know we were there, and pet her without moving her. She grew out of it, I guess, cause now she kind of rolls over by herself. I lover her so much!

  • I agree with PearlsMom, same with our Lela, less with Binti.
    Also, when you approach your dog, does she have a easy way out? Can she move away from you or are you blocking all exits? I find my B's get excited easily if they don't see a way out of a situtation.

  • A way to do what Debra is suggesting in a game format is Crate Games, which you can get on DVD.

    You said this happens when you are getting ready to leave. Pay attention to exactly what you are doing before you leave and then see how your dog is reacting. You should be able to pick up on the cues that your dog is picking up on. You can try changing the pattern of how you get ready and potentially remove the cue to lessen the behavior until you can build the good associations others described.

    visit BCOA on Facebook. http://facebook.com/basenji.org

Suggested Topics

  • Aggressive issues

    Moved Behavioral Issues
    18
    1 Votes
    18 Posts
    15k Views
    BigVB
    I don't want to sound personnel but if you are in control why does he keep showing aggression to other intact dogs. By taking him away from the other dog is not teaching him not to be aggressive . He may see you as boss but he wants to be second in charge and see,s all other intact dogs as a threat to his position. Don't be to proud to use a muzzle , and as I said take out to mix with intact dogs . As he can't hurt them and will soon relize,s this you need to stand up and let him know your displeasure using voice and physical presence and a small water pistol as he will hate being squirted. You should find the water pistol works a treat. I would do this every few days until his stops the aggressive behaviour , then I would try without the muzzle but always keep the water pistol with you and let him see it as he will remember what happens when he acts up. This is a method I have used to help mates control their pig dogs . I am by far an expert and are always prepared to Liston to others thoughts as this is how I learn.
  • Aggressive peeing

    Behavioral Issues
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    11k Views
    nobarkusN
    I would start off with a vet visit, blood work and urinalysis to rule out any physical problems.
  • Aggressive Behavior as they get older?

    Behavioral Issues
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    MacPackM
    I agree with all the above. My oldest at 15 has spine issues and has been on rimadyl low dose for about a year with great results, he had pain before, but has had a very good year. Eddie (11) is on thyroid meds, he was a cranky-pants a couple of years ago and after thyroid meds, is a happier dog. A vet visit is in order to figure out what has caused his change, 11 is still pretty young.
  • Outside Behavior

    Behavioral Issues
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    14k Views
    KanangaK
    @LBRunyon: I have a supplementary question along these same lines . We got our BRAT Ricky two weeks ago ( YIPPEE!!!! ) He is WONDERFUL . The only problem we are having is that he WILL NOT potty in our fenced in yard . In fact , it seems he won't go within 1 block of our house . We walk in the am and pm . He is very particular about where he will go, though he sniffs every available surface . While the weather is nice , I really don't mind this . We would be walking anyway . But when the frigid cold hits , it would be nice to open the door and have him go out , do his business quickly , and return . We have tried waiting him out in hopes of praise and treats once he goes in the yard . But Mr. iron- bladder- steel- sphincter WON'T go in the yard. Are there any suggestions ?Oh , by the way, once we are out of the yard and down the street he goes after a few quick sniffs . I have to take my B outside no matter what. It's nice during the spring/summer/fall, but the midst of winter is just simply brutal. -20F with a nice wind (colder windchill) will make any B go quickly, but it's still painful for us humans.
  • Agressive behavior

    Behavioral Issues
    38
    0 Votes
    38 Posts
    21k Views
    luzmery928L
    Well last night was good. My daughter wasn't feeling to well so I went to lay with her on her bed and our B came with us. When it was time to get off the bed, my daughter took him down and he did not show any aggresive behavior and when it was time to exit the room he didn't growl or anything. This is a good step though I still haven't been able to stop the nipping but hey it's still good!
  • Rude Behavior?

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    jessi76J
    @jys1011: How should you allow dogs to "meet"?? Neutral territory or in a home?? Should you use a gate in between first? Or just on leash?? I agree neutral territory is best - not in one or the other's home. if you must - do it outside. as for a meet & greet routine, I allow "first name, last name" first name = head or nose sniff. last name = toosh sniff. I let my dog meet & greet on leash, so I can correct any bad behavior. if all goes well, I let them play in a safe area (fenced or in house) and let them sort things out - supervised of course, incase a serious fight breaks out - but that hasn't happened (yet… knocks on wood).