• If you do a search you will come up with a few threads about CUPS, here is one. And I think that DebraDownSouth has a Basenji with CUPS

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?12236-Tucker-has-ulcers

• Pamela, I am elated that spencer is drinking, you have been in my thoughts and prayers all weekend- I couldn't be happier for the two of you. I hope you find the answers to his problems, people are giving you lots of great avenues and good for you for looking into them all. Should you or spencer need anything just let us all know. Keep the updates coming

• We were hand feeding our Kathie for several months before we lost her, so we know exactly how you are feeling with Spencer. We basically made her food very soupy/mushy and stuffed it down. She was soooo good and allowed us to do this even though we know she had to be hurting,,, I still miss her so much after all these years, my sweet girl.

• @ownedbyspencer:

Oh, and Spencer is drinking like it's the water lapping Olympics this morning. I'm still having to feed him through a syringe, but he is definitely on the mend. A little sparkle is returning to his eyes, and his tail is up.

Pamela and Spencer

I am so happy to see this. I feel like I can stop worrying about him now. The older dogs getting ill feels very personal. My dear Digital the brindlewonderkid is 15 and I always imagine these things happening to him. Please keep us informed of his upswing!

• The vet does not think it is CUPS, after all, but a local manifestation of acute ulcerative stomatitis. Spencer did not present with the primary symptoms– bad breath, drooling, bleeding, inflamed gums-- and he did not have any fever or swelling at all. You could only see the lesions and the mess the tooth was in with a surgery light and scope when he was under anesthesia. I knew Basenjis were stoic little dogs, but it's incredible the amount of pain they can bear without telling us the extent.

That very back tooth appears to be the cause, which is why Spencer's throat was so affected. He did have a complete dental, and his other teeth weren't so bad. The infection was severe, however. Virulent liquid had seeped onto the back of his tongue where it lay against that back tooth and appears to have caused the lesions on his tongue and throat. The antibiotics are beginning to help. So the trick is to keep the dog hydrated and nourished via syringe for the week it may take to fight the infection and heal the lesions so he can eat.

I know this is way too much information, but I wanted to pass it along, in case it might help someone else-- perhaps in the future, through the search function. This forum is such a great resource, and I had never heard of a lot of the things that have been brought up. They helped me tremendously. Our dogs tell us so much, but we can learn even more from each other. So thank you!

• @agilebasenji:

I am so happy to see this. I feel like I can stop worrying about him now. The older dogs getting ill feels very personal. My dear Digital the brindlewonderkid is 15 and I always imagine these things happening to him. Please keep us informed of his upswing!

I know exactly what you mean. Every time I hear of a senior getting sick, I think "oh, no!" Diggie sounds like he is in superb shape, though, and I bet he will be dogpaddling in the pool for years to come! 🙂

• @Terry:

We were hand feeding our Kathie for several months before we lost her, so we know exactly how you are feeling with Spencer. We basically made her food very soupy/mushy and stuffed it down. She was soooo good and allowed us to do this even though we know she had to be hurting,,, I still miss her so much after all these years, my sweet girl.

I'm so sorry about Kathie. They grab onto our hearts and don't let go. The stuffing it down is just what I'm doing. I've gotten very good at prying his mouth open, getting the food in just the right place and rubbing his throat so he will swallow. Spencer is not as accommodating as Kathie, but we're managing. The critical care food is like whipped pate– just sticky enough to avoid being spit out.

• @Chealsie508:

Pamela, I am elated that spencer is drinking, you have been in my thoughts and prayers all weekend- I couldn't be happier for the two of you. I hope you find the answers to his problems, people are giving you lots of great avenues and good for you for looking into them all. Should you or spencer need anything just let us all know. Keep the updates coming

Thank you, Chealsie! Has Oakley fully recovered from his gum-eating? I know he was a pretty sick boy for a while.

• Oakley has recovered from his brush with death via xylitol… His liver healed and he has no permanent damage. His three day stint at the hospital has even cured his severe crate anxiety... He now knows that "it's not that bad"... The 1600$ was worth that alone. Thanks for asking. So glad spencer is recovering, while Oakley is only one, my last dog was a constant worry as a senior and stories like yours make me treasure Oakleys youth, although its a reminder as to how quickly the years age our dogs. So glad things have works out for the best for us both...if nothing else "basenjis are a crazy ride"

• Just saw this, but i wanted to extend good thoughts to you and Spencer as well. It's so so difficult to see them suffer. Mom and Dad's pup had problems with ulcers as well but she says they have cleared considerably with medication. I'm so so so glad he is on the mend.

• So very glad Spencer is doing so well, good for you for pushing your vet to put him under and see what was going on. Kudos to you! Hugs to Spencer!

• @ownedbyspencer:

I know this is way too much information, but I wanted to pass it along, in case it might help someone else– perhaps in the future, through the search function.

This is not too much information AT ALL! I have learned so much from your posts and have followed your research on the internet. Your quest to help poor Spencer just might spare someone else the pain you have gone through. So thank you for being so thorough and keeping everyone abreast of the situation. I am clearly not alone in saying that I have been reading your posts and have had you and Spencer on my mind for days. I think it's pretty obvious that we have all heaved a communal sigh of relief that he's going to be okay. Thanks so much for taking the time to update us through such an awful ordeal for you!!!

• ditto on the not too much info. afterall, dog people often talk about all sorts of info related to dogs - even poop.

Is Spencer on any pain meds? After Diggie's last dental (removed some teeth), they gave him some liquid metacam. Might help him feel better sooner.

• @Chealsie508:

Oakley has recovered from his brush with death via xylitol… His liver healed and he has no permanent damage. His three day stint at the hospital has even cured his severe crate anxiety... He now knows that "it's not that bad"... The 1600$ was worth that alone. Thanks for asking.

forgive me if I still suggest people try the Crate Games dvd and NOT a $1600 vet visit for crate training.

• Yes, Spencer was on pain meds last night. The first night (Saturday) after the surgery, the vet was reluctant to give him pain meds, because he seemed nauseous, and she was afraid they would make him vomit. Vomiting would have been a real setback, because it would aggravate his throat and tongue, worsen the ulcers, possibly cause bleeding and cause him to lose what little food I had been able to get down him. Sunday morning I thought Spencer was in pain, so the vet came in and gave him an antibiotic shot and a pain shot, along with subQ fluids. I took two syringes home and gave him another round of antibiotic and pain shots before bedtime. Thankfully, they relaxed him, and we both got some sleep.

Today, he got an antibiotic shot, but no pain shot, because most of his pain seems to have dissipated, and no subQs, because he is finally drinking enough. He will go on antiobiotic capsules tomorrow and possibly get a shot of Dexamethasone to stimulate his appetite. This ordeal has cost him six pounds– more than 25% of his body weight. The worst is over, though, and I will fix him all sorts of yummy things to gradually get the weight back on. I appreciate everybody's concern and interest-- the response has been amazing and truly touching!

• I've been following, but not been able to respond. I'm glad Spencer is on the mend. Good luck in the future.

• So happy to hear Spencer is on the mend. Hope he feels better soon.
    Never too much info, this is very helpful .
    Hugs and love for Spencer.

Anne-Marie
    with Joey in my heart

• May Spencer continue to improve. Thank you so much for keeping us informed despite the hectic time you've been having. Hugs and kisses to Spencer.

• So relieved to hear that he is improving. He is one tough cookie!

• Well, I think we escaped another close call here at Casa Spencer. The little guy wouldn't eat again this morning, and my heart just dropped, then I tried again tonight and almost lost a finger. He snatched that chicken and rice ball out of my hand and scarfed it down like a hungry wolf. I have never been so happy to see an animal eat in my life. He still can't lap up food, so the vet suggested that I make mini meatballs out of all sorts of tasty things so he can just grab them one at a time with his teeth. I made chicken and rice balls and dog food balls and bread balls dipped in gravy. The dog food balls did not go over well. Tomorrow I will try Muttloaf balls and maybe rice and cheese balls. Or maybe veggie balls. Anybody have any more suggestions?

The vet said Spencer's tongue and throat are healing well and released him today with two weeks of antibiotic capsules (and a bill that just about took my knees out from under me!). After traipsing to the vet twice a day for the past week, this is such a relief! The only thing still worrisome is that his alk phos remains, inexplicably, over 2000– way, way over even Fanconi-normal. We can't find a root cause for that. Thanks again to everyone for caring about my sweet Spencer. What a wonderful bunch you are! 🙂

Pamela and Spencer

Suggested Topics