• You should be able to get ground bison at a local butcher shop.

• @MacPack:

Found it in the 'food' category, from 2010 post by Sharron Hurlburt:

SATIN BALLS
    Do not cook.

That doesn't sound half bad– if it were cooked, without kibble! So it's served raw, I guess, for dogs.

• @krunzer:

You should be able to get ground bison at a local butcher shop.

Thanks– I'll check it out! I thought bison was tough, but maybe not. Or maybe it's like jerky to a dog.

• Bison is a much leaner, less fat and healthier than ground beef.. You can find it in stop and shops and local grocery stores next to the hamburger meats, sometimes in the higher end meats section, you know, the organic steaks and better cuts of meat, it generally comes unfrozen in a ground form… Looks like hamburger meat but tasty and healthy. That's the only form I use, it has the texture of a ground turkey or hamburger- not tough at all!

Here's a link just to show you the package I use:

• Macpack- that's the thread I remember reading it from!! It's always hard to find something here when you want to!! Lol! Glad you found it

• It'd be easier if you'd just move to my neighborhood. I could tell you where to get bison from (could even show you where they live!), or I could just give you some longhorn burger that I have in the freezer. (the longhorn is about as lean as bison. I've never had to "drain the fat" as is called for in some recipes. Downside is that I have to add something for burgers to stick together) I have another 1/4 animal coming next month. Grass fed and delivered by the woman who raised it. Sometimes you can find local ranchers on craigslist or maybe ask at your local feed store. You will need a freezer, but it's much, much better meat than you find at the supermarket. I also have eggs from my neighbor. Don't know why his hens are still producing, just happy they are!

• You can get Bison at Whole Foods Market. There are several in TN.

• A dog with Fanconi Syndrome only needs to be on a low protein diet if it is in renal failure or going into renal failure. It is based on the blood tests-BUN and Creatinine.

I would wait until Spencer is over his illness and feeling better to have another blood test for the AKLP. Was the test result for the ALT normal? What about the other liver tests?

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

A dog with Fanconi Syndrome only needs to be on a low protein diet if it is in renal failure or going into renal failure. It is based on the blood tests-BUN and Creatinine.

I would wait until Spencer is over his illness and feeling better to have another blood test for the AKLP. Was the test result for the ALT normal? What about the other liver tests?

Jennifer, his ALT was fine (50) and so were the other liver values. CREA was 1.9 (up from 1.6 in Sept) and BUN was 19. Only the ALKP was high, at over 2000 (up from 869 in Sept). Dr. Gonto recommended that I put Spencer on a lower protein diet after he had a seizure four years ago. I give him quality proteins in a moderate amount and watch the phosphorus, but I don't restrict him totally. He's tired of chicken and rice, so I'm going to have to broaden our culinary horizons. What do you feed Missy?

I can see that I've misjudged bison, so I'll have to look into that. Perhaps some fish, too. He hasn't been too interested in my culinary pursuits today. I'll try Muttloaf tomorrow. That's usually good for a day or so. 🙂

• @agilebasenji:

It'd be easier if you'd just move to my neighborhood. I could tell you where to get bison from (could even show you where they live!), or I could just give you some longhorn burger that I have in the freezer. (the longhorn is about as lean as bison. I've never had to "drain the fat" as is called for in some recipes. Downside is that I have to add something for burgers to stick together) I have another 1/4 animal coming next month. Grass fed and delivered by the woman who raised it. Sometimes you can find local ranchers on craigslist or maybe ask at your local feed store. You will need a freezer, but it's much, much better meat than you find at the supermarket. I also have eggs from my neighbor. Don't know why his hens are still producing, just happy they are!

Longhorn burger? Now that sounds tasty! Though the people at the University of Texas probably wouldn't think so. 🙂

Sometimes, we get good cuts at the farmer's markets, along with fresh veggies, but those are pretty much shut down until spring. I'll have to cozy up to the butcher at the grocery store and see what he recommends.

• I love longhorn! Lmao…. I'd eat a longhorn burger or the steak tips!! O boy, I now have to eat!

• Okay, I am clearly not up on my meats! Poor little Spencer lives in a pasta and salad household. He's lucky to get chicken and organic veggies!

• How is Spencer doing? My elder gal did not have fanconi, but in the last few years of her life, her kidneys were declining. We had her on 100ml SQ twice a day, so you can imagine that she urinated quite frequently. She didn't always make it off the bed. I got 2 water-proof mattress pads from Wal-Mart 300ct for about $25.00 a piece. I got 2 because at 3am the last thing I wanted to do was sleep on a wet mattress or a lumpy towel. They are great, not like the ole rubber sheets!

I am sending Spencer healing thoughts and prays for a speedy recovery, but it does sound like he is on the mend.

• Spencer is continuing to improve– thanks for asking! He has not wet the bed except for that one night, so I'm not sure what was up with that. I folded a beach towel under him just in case, but he has been holding his urine all night. We had him on subQs twice a day for a week, and I was having to get up every hour and take him out. So, wow, it would be hard to do that on an ongoing basis. He is drinking on his own now, and so far, he's getting enough. This weekend, I will go in search of the waterproof mattress pads. Thanks for the Wal-Mart tip-- I'll start there!

Spencer's weight is still problematic. He is very thin, and it's disturbing to see him looking so malnourished. His coat is glossy and his eyes are clear, but every bone in his body juts out. I'm running the gamut of foods, but he's just a picky eater and has been getting pickier for about a year now. I'm feeding him smaller meals and hoping that will help, not just his organs, but his psychology-- the old "Hey, this isn't much, I'd better scarf it right up" trick. He's probably too smart for that. When someone's begging you to eat, you figure it's probably gonna keep coming-- and maybe the next offering will be even better. Sigh.

One issue might be the pills. Even before he got sick, he was tired of finding pills in his food-- not the bitter bicarbs he takes for Fanconi, but his vitamins and Omega-3s. He might be the only dog in the world that hates the taste of fish oil and beef-flavored chewables. I have been giving him all the supplements separately to entice him to eat. So far, it's gotten a lukewarm reception. Today is Muttloaf Day-- we'll see what that brings!

• Well done to Spencer and to you naturally. Hopefully he'll put on more weight but I've never had experience of Fanconi affected dogs so don't know how much is that and how much because of his inability to eat for a while.

• Muttloaf Day was a success! Spencer chowed– well, more than he has chowed for a good while. Much better than "Eat Mor Chikin" in our house. 🙂

(Okay, no, I didn't use bison or longhorn or even angus-- just plain old lean ground beef.)

• @Chealsie508:

I love longhorn! Lmao…. I'd eat a longhorn burger or the steak tips!! O boy, I now have to eat!

Well, if you're ever in the neighborhood, I'll do a pot roast. Knives are not needed. Last week I cooked the filet - OMG!!! Poor pups didn't get any of that.

• @ownedbyspencer:

Muttloaf Day was a success! Spencer chowed– well, more than he has chowed for a good while. Much better than "Eat Mor Chikin" in our house. 🙂

(Okay, no, I didn't use bison or longhorn or even angus-- just plain old lean ground beef.)

Was that the recipe I linked to? My dogs LOVE it, even Diggie. And it's nice because it gives you room to use whatever is in season at the moment. I often use the dried crasins instead of the fruit. If he continues to be picky, you may want to try to up his exercise a little. Or I could send Zest! to your house and he'd learn to eat it before she does. Yep, she'll take it right out of his mouth. This is how Jet the trying has learned not to play with his food.

• @ownedbyspencer:

This weekend, I will go in search of the waterproof mattress pads. Thanks for the Wal-Mart tip– I'll start there

I suggest that you go on-line first at Wal-Mart.com. They often do not have the pads in stock. I ordered mine off line and had them shipped to my local store at no additional cost. It does not take a long time to get your item shipped either. I could even pay for them on line. With everything going on I thought I might save you a wasted trip. I did a lot of research on the mattress pads and by far they had the least expensive ones. They no longer carry the particular ones that I purchased, but if you type in the search box; waterproof mattress pad, several come up.

• @agilebasenji:

Was that the recipe I linked to? My dogs LOVE it, even Diggie. And it's nice because it gives you room to use whatever is in season at the moment. I often use the dried crasins instead of the fruit. If he continues to be picky, you may want to try to up his exercise a little. Or I could send Zest! to your house and he'd learn to eat it before she does. Yep, she'll take it right out of his mouth. This is how Jet the trying has learned not to play with his food.

Yes, thank you! I had made it before using a recipe from the yahoo kidney forum, and I do like you do and modify it with whatever I have. Spencer usually loves it, and he ate well yesterday. He could certainly use Zest to light a fire under him– get her on the underground railroad and send her on! When he was younger, Spencer lived with two Goldens, who were chow hounds and would take over the bowl. He would crawl under them, between their legs, and stand at the bowl, gobbling his share. He didn't used to be picky. But since he became Fanconi-affected, I have had to use yummier and yummier stuff to get the pills down. He has learned that there is better stuff out there and it will come his way if he bides his time. I know-- owner problem, not dog problem. Sigh.

Suggested Topics