I've been waiting 25+ years for this - they are on the way!

• Welcome to the Forum - I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure from these puppies.

Can you share who you visited with in London with the Basenjis?

• Congats on your Puppies. I took on two sisters last year and it was easier than when I have raised one at a time as they keeP each other company. Mine have all earned their rally titles and my breeder has put all types of agility titles on her basenjis. Just find a school that has had hounds train and does positive training methods and they will do great.

• Waiting 25 years…. I understand that. I wanted a basenji when I was a young teenager, but the opportunity for one did not happen until last year. Having a dream come true is wonderful, and you are going to love your puppy!

• Welcome and congratulations on your future new additions 🙂

Raising two pups at the same time has it's challenges 😉

• Congratulations Julie and family and welcome to the Forums!

We're also in the Houston area (Montgomery) and have new pups for this year. I have a 1 year old that I want to try in Obedience and Rally, and am searching diligently for a trainer to help me with learning tracking, so maybe we can share info about area trainers. I know Houston Obedience Club has classes, but I'm hoping for something a little closer to our area. I have a couple of places I will be researching and going to observe as soon as our pups go to their new homes (also in March…)

Terry

• Thank you for all the warm welcomes!

Patty, I truly wish I could remember who I visited in London with that pack of basenjis - truth is, I can't remember a darn thing about why I was even there, much less whose apartment it was. I was at an art program and I think this was a guest instructor who had a party. Again, this was over 25 years ago. (These days, I can barely remember who I spoke to last week.)

Terry, I have you marked as someone to contact as being in this area! I will certainly let you know anything I find out. I am looking as well, and keep ending up at Houston Obedience Club in my searches. I'll certainly keep you updated - there is a place that opened not far from me, but I can't remember the name. My dentist has a Kerry Blue and said they offer agility/rally training. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm looking for puppy kindergarten classes now, as well - any thoughts?

Thank you all again - I'm going to move my questions out of the member introductions section, so you'll be hearing from me lots more over there…

All the best,

Julie

• Oh your life is so going to change! 😉
    I would suggest doing different classes (maybe on different nights if possible) with the 2 so that they don't become too interdependent on each other. Google "littermate syndrome"
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/radio/02-littermate-syndrome

• Yes Julie (I can understand what you say about memory. Unfortunately I'm at the stage when I keep forgetting names and what I'm meant to be doing. Fortunately this has been compensated by strong past Basenji memories!

I totally agree about interdependency having reared many siblings.

• Julie, one of the places I found was Fundamental Dog on 2978 near 1488, they are Karen Pryor Clicker training certified… that is reasonably close to our house. I don't remember if they offer puppy kindergarten, but will check their website. Basenjimomma, aka Petra, may know, she lives nearish to there also in Hockley just out of Magnolia.

Terry

• Welcome! I've met the sire of the litter, Tango, and he is a really wonderful and nice boy . Your pups and my boy are actually cousins- My pup's sire is his half brother(same dam). Good luck and can't wait to see photos when you get them!

Suggested Topics