Anyone ever buy a puppy from Hilltop Meadows in Caldwell TX

• I look forward to seeing photos of your new puppy.

• @CongoMama:

Sells each for average $1000 = $60,000 (less 1 pup from each litter which they keep since resp. breeders first breed for themselves - 12 x $1,000 - $12,000 or $48,000)- not my area of expertise), but I think one can see the general idea!;)

Don't forget those pups that we give to folks that lost one of our previous dogs to something dreadful like Fanconi Syndrome, etc. I know everyone hasn't dealt with it, but I have replaced (no, not that any dog can be really replaced) quite a few dogs over the last 4-5 years.

@tanza:

And just to add to that… I remember years ago when Vickie of Rugosa was still breeding... her pups were out in the weather.... cold, snow, rain ... whatever at 5 to 6 wks....

This year we did not have snow, but since there had been quite a bit of freezing rain, my pups didn't venture outdoors until close to 5 weeks old… normally they start going outdoors to potty at 4-4.5 weeks old. They learn quickly to potty fast then you get to come back inside to the warm house!! This has been the easiest way I have found to potty-train them... and they CRY to go outside by the time they are 6 weeks old.

• Although the southern states are generally warmer, they do have colder nights. I agree with Lisa and Pat that animal husbandry isn't much different in CA than it is in Canada. It's about the animals abilities as newborns and the social structure. And that is also different from person to person. I like people coming in at about 4-5 weeks and socializing. I find it makes a nicer temperment to have other scents and smells around them and picking them up. My younger pups will go to anyone with a wagging tail, while the older ones are a little more standoffish.

• @khanis:

This year we did not have snow, but since there had been quite a bit of freezing rain, my pups didn't venture outdoors until close to 5 weeks old… normally they start going outdoors to potty at 4-4.5 weeks old. They learn quickly to potty fast then you get to come back inside to the warm house!! This has been the easiest way I have found to potty-train them... and they CRY to go outside by the time they are 6 weeks old.

Exactly Kathy…. My Maggii's litter was born the winter of 1994 and it rained almost every single day from December to February. Those pups didn't get out doors much because of the weather. But all my other litters were outdoors to potty on the early, early morning frosty ground from 4 to 41/2 wks. And it is true, by 6 weeks they were screaming to go outside to potty. I very, very rarely had poop in the puppy pen after 4wks.

• First Basenji's

So we made the trip in one day and back. It was so amazing! The breeders were sweet and very helpful with all my questions. They asked me allot of questions. I got to see her dogs and she also had a mother dog and her 6 pups who were 8 weeks old they were hilarious, running around, and playing with each other trying to eat my shoes and coat. The litter I will be getting from is due around the 26th of this month. I told her that I prefer a female but I told her honestly I just want a healthy happy dog. She said at around 8 weeks she will let me know what dog she chooses for me according to the dogs personalty and with ours which I think is great! I like the whole match making aspect. They were all healthy, rambunctious, and friendly and the mother dog was such a sweet heart. She curled right next to me and she looked so comfortable as she watched her pups. The experience was great I can't wait to go back in March when I can pick my puppy up!

• Always better to go meet with a breeder and see the dogs first hand, congratulations on your upcoming puppy. If you are interested in spring puppy get togethers, there are quite a lot of basenjis who race in NJ, and I can put you in touch with them. Socializing is very important.

• Glad that you had a good visit… The wait will be worth it!

• First Basenji's

I'm glad I have to wait because it gives me enough time to prepare and be fully ready.. I like things to make sense

• Good luck with your new pup. Glad you took the advice of everyone here, all we want to do is help people make an informed decision. Hope to hear more from you in the future as you take on your first B buddy!

• @vickayx:

I'm glad I have to wait because it gives me enough time to prepare and be fully ready.. I like things to make sense

You sound a lot like me. I loved the time I had to prepare (puppy proof) our place before Kipawa finally came to us forever. 🙂

Suggested Topics