Basil's worse after meeting with behaviorist

• @Patty:

Be careful to avoid just trying out different methods of training and expecting immediate results - this can just confuse a dog (and its owner!). I personally, am in tune with the method suggested by Ivoss and the philosophy of NILIF. Of course methods can be combined (eg ttouch with hand feeding).

Watch carefully for warnings which may not necessarily be in the form of a growl. I've heard many people say that Basenjis bite without warning but this is not really true although the warnings may be very subtle.

I must say that although my Basenjis are taught to be amenable they do occasionally get over excited when out on the road but i just hold them out of the way until the adrenalin subsides.

In my opinion, you are doing very well with Basil despite your initial bad advice from the trainer. Have you managed to get a Basenji knowledgeable behaviorist yet?

I haven't found a basenji knowledgeable behaviorist yet. Tomorrow I'm going to phone the Humane Society and ask about trainers though.. I'll remember to ask if they know basenjis.

• @agilebasenji:

Have you tried working through Dr Overall's Relaxation Protocol? (available on line) Otherwise, most of his issues sound like impulse control problems. And for that, I cannot recommend Control Unleashed enough.

So I just wanted to thank you… x a million. I watched a youtube video on the control unleashed and tried an exercise with Basil off leash in the back yard. I started off by treating him along with a "yup" if he followed right at my side. Then I moved to walking around.. and then stopping and saying "come basil".. when he came to me I treated him and then kept walking again... after a few tries I would call him and only treat when he sat down.. then after a few more I would just stop walking and look to him and he would come running over and anxiously sat down. I started to try the release after by saying "go!" but he doesn't really get it yet but he did great for his first time! It was so much fun to have his attention! Great exercise and it was amazing to see his attention on me. I'm also going to order the book now... thank you so much for your advice!

• I'm so happy to hear about your success with the CU stuff. I'm a true CU convert, and I tend to suggest it for everything short of a medical emergency. There is a yahoo CU group. It is a HIGH volume list. You can join and read, but they ask that you do not ask anything until you've read the book (to prevent answering questions that are answered in the book). I think it's so helpful for so many dogs and haven't found too many dogs that it wouldn't help. I have pages in that book with 3 different colored highlighters on it. I found reading the book 2 or 3 times is best. The book seems a bit disjointed on the first read

• @agilebasenji:

I'm so happy to hear about your success with the CU stuff. I'm a true CU convert, and I tend to suggest it for everything short of a medical emergency. There is a yahoo CU group. It is a HIGH volume list. You can join and read, but they ask that you do not ask anything until you've read the book (to prevent answering questions that are answered in the book). I think it's so helpful for so many dogs and haven't found too many dogs that it wouldn't help. I have pages in that book with 3 different colored highlighters on it. I found reading the book 2 or 3 times is best. The book seems a bit disjointed on the first read

+1. Agile converted me to a CU junkie. 😛 I highly recommend the yahoo list too. Reading the book got me reasonably far but it is discussed in so much more depth on the list. It helped me understand a lot of things I didn't quite grasp fully from the book. Which I don't feel too bad about because a lot of people had the same questions I did.

Clay

• Glad to hear that Clay. I sometimes feel like a broken record with recommending CU, so it's nice to hear about other converts out there. Those outside the CU circle may think it's some sort of cult.

There's also a new CU puppy book that should be out in a few months. I guess we know where my Xmas money will go. 😉

• @agilebasenji:

Glad to hear that Clay. I sometimes feel like a broken record with recommending CU, so it's nice to hear about other converts out there. Those outside the CU circle may think it's some sort of cult.

There's also a new CU puppy book that should be out in a few months. I guess we know where my Xmas money will go. 😉

I have to laugh because I almost made a "cult" joke in my post. 😃 And I really hope the puppy book comes out before I get my puppy (fingers crossed) in the winter. I just wish there were CU classes near me. The closest I know of are in Chicago or Rochester.

• @Nemo:

I have to laugh because I almost made a "cult" joke in my post. 😃 And I really hope the puppy book comes out before I get my puppy (fingers crossed) in the winter. I just wish there were CU classes near me. The closest I know of are in Chicago or Rochester.

I just sort of jumped in and taught a class b/c I felt my dog needed it at that point in time, not later. And then I got several people asking for another classes, so i've taught several classes. I haven't done that in about a year, but it was kind of fun. Each class had such different dynamics! If you move to CoSprings, I'll do another. 😉

• First Basenji's

All this talk about basil's behavior and the behaviorist never even suggested more exercise? PS: not quoting CM, just when I have had a 'problem' alot of running to wind him has worked marvelous. Can You work him to where he is winded?? Walks with humans are not exercise, we are too slow!! hehehe!!:D

• @Buddys:

All this talk about basil's behavior and the behaviorist never even suggested more exercise? PS: not quoting CM, just when I have had a 'problem' alot of running to wind him has worked marvelous. Can You work him to where he is winded?? Walks with humans are not exercise, we are too slow!! hehehe!!:D

Definitely, we are too slow! Before Perry got proficient at off leash work, I used to bike him. Used the same thing with my previous boy, with good results. But you need pretty reasonable leash control to do this safely, and I am not sure she has that yet with Basil, plus he is still quite young (and small!)

• I roller blade with Oakley because walking him isn't enough and it gives me more control than a bike, that and I've always been bad at biking. We won't be able to do it in the winters we have here in new England but I assume other than running, he won't want to go out a lot in the cold. I have to plan more mind stimulating activities to hopefully curb his puppyish ways.

• Hello,
    One of our B's had similar biting issues - she had been raised in a pack with a lot of competition, and she had never learned that a treat or a toy must be released on command. I applied Cesar Millan's approach and it worked beautifully, the first time and within 15 minutes!
    1. Show the dog the treat, make her sit and stay, and make eye-contact.
    2. As she calms, bring the treat closer and stay in eye contact - she must stay calm-submissive throughout.
    3. Put the treat on the ground in front of her - use your posture, body language and voice to keep her calm-subm.
    4. Then release her to get the treat.
    5. After a minute or so, order her to release. If she doesn't, a little Cesar-prod to the side will help to snap her out of her state of mind.
    6. Repeat the whole process, until she releases the treat at first command.
    7. Repeat the next day.
    Be patient and follow through all the way to the end - Binti got it really fast that we wouldn't let up and she changed accordingly.
    I'm sure you can find videos on Cesar's site or National Geographic with similar episodes - it works!
    All the best,
    Kees-Jan Donkers, The Netherlands

Suggested Topics