Thanks MOM - boring boiled rice and chicken

• Ok, it was just a thought. He is such a well socialized boy, just thinking the meds might have been the issue. Hopefully, this will be over quickly. Hugs to you all.

• Good news! Kipawa's seems to be back to normal - solid poops on his walk this afternoon. Hooray.

However, with the reason probably being anxiety/over stimulation, I still need to work with him on this. I am going to contact my vet and ask if I can bring him there daily, let them take him into the back and bring him out quickly, then increase the time he is in the back. They are only about 4 - 5 minutes away by car, so this will be very manageable.

Hmmmmm…. just thought of something. Could doing this make Kipawa not want to go into the car (because the car always takes him to THAT place)? I guess the solution for that, if it happens, is to take him to his favourite parks each day.

What do you all think?

• Sure, take him to petsmart and give him a cookie, take him to the park, etc. Only good things…

• @tanza:

Stress can cause loose stools, but I would have to guess that he has a bit of a tummy upset, then add some stress on top of that.

Good to keep him on the boiled rice and chicken a few days. And because it has little to no fat, cuts way down on the bowels overworking

Thanks Pat and Debra - I'm sticking to boiled rice w/chicken for another day or so, then as suggested, will add back his TOTW Bison kibble slowly. Then will slowly add back the veggies he gets with his kibble. Even though the problem was not due to 'bug critters' or an infection, his stomach still did experience a trauma. Best to play it safe.

• @Kipawa:

Hmmmmm…. just thought of something. Could doing this make Kipawa not want to go into the car (because the car always takes him to THAT place)? I guess the solution for that, if it happens, is to take him to his favourite parks each day.

What do you all think?

My guy knows what direction the veterinarian's office is in…...and gets upset if we go that way, even after he hasn't been there for a year! OTOH, he also knows which way the regional forest is, and gets excited (definitely a different emotion!) when we head in that direction. He must have a compass in his head! 🙂

• When I have to take those of mine that are phased by vet visits I also make sure I include an interesting walk near the surgery. In that way they know that the visit is just a stop on the way to the walk.

• PS. Good to know Kipawa is recovered again.

• First Basenji's

@Kipawa:

… Kipawa FIRED some diarrhea across the examining room floor. Darn, had I have been thinking I would have kept a little of it to be tested.

My, what colorful descriptions. And only a dog mother could follow something up like that with a thought like 'Hmm, maybe I should've held onto some of it!' 😉

Bowpi's poops get runny super quickly when we have to go to the vet. Sensitive stool, I guess. Stress definitely has something to do with it, though she's good enough to hold it until appropriate spots.

• @curlytails:

My, what colorful descriptions. And only a dog mother could follow something up like that with a thought like 'Hmm, maybe I should've held onto some of it!' 😉

What's stranger is I am now carrying a tiny spoon and zip lock bag in my purse. Like the boy scout motto, 'be prepared'.

• @Patty:

When I have to take those of mine that are phased by vet visits I also make sure I include an interesting walk near the surgery. In that way they know that the visit is just a stop on the way to the walk.

Oh what a great idea! I'll definitely use this. Thanks! 🙂

Suggested Topics