Skip to content

Collar ID tags

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Question about ID tag information

    Moved Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @crazysenji said in Question about ID tag information: I don't think more than a number is necessary personally What if your dog got out while you are unavailable? Cell phones occasionally are out of range, run out of batteries. A 2nd number could keep someone from saying forget it and dumping in a shelter.
  • Basenji Collar

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    8k Views
    K
    We bought here: http://www.dogcollars.nl/ Fine stuff.
  • Collars

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    MacPackM
    I have used Nick Russell's collars for many years and they do not wear out. I have never had even the most wily basenji slip out of one and escape. And he will custom-make them for you if you send your ribbon to him. We are lucky that so many good products are available, everyone is bound to find something to fit your needs.
  • Dog tag question..

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    11k Views
    Ninabeana26N
    Hm never thought of that! Thanks for the suggestion! :) I actually found a site that does engraved logos on their tags & so I could get a football engraved on the one side with his info on it. We'll see though!
  • Collar Question

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    12k Views
    jys1011J
    This one is a tuffy to say the least :) I think everyone has an opinion on what works & doesn't work for them. And I can honestly tell you that I have tried a number of collars AND leads LOL :D Talk about trial and error. My poor husband is so confused now he's like WHAT COLLAR WHAT LEAD?? In the end we use a martingale leash (simple a martingale collar attached to a 6ft leash) to walk them & at first we used a gentle leader or snoot loop to train to walk nicely. Training them with this takes time & lots of effort. When they go on their extra long (25 ft) exploring walk (I only use this in large field or hiking when I know no one else or no other dogs will be around) I use their harnesses BUT the harness I use attaches to the lead at the top of their backs not in front. So really it's whatever is more effective for you & your dogs. I got all 3 at the All Hounds & I REALLY love their service! They are really nice & helpful. http://www.allhoundsapparel.com Short Story on choke chains: I worked with a trainer who used choke chains & I did not like using this because I nearly choked my little girl to death once while we were attacked by an off leash dog. It was an accident & she was fine but I could have really hurt her. I also think the choke chains have a negative reward for a dog while walking. If they lunge at something…person, dog, squirrel, bird etc...they will choke themselves & associate something negative with that.
  • Collars

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    jessi76J
    thanks for the ideas. I think the martingales are great training tools, but not suitable for everyday use (at least not for me). I may try the rolled leather if I can't find any wide/flat collars.