Gross question about pee…sorry!

• Sorry for the nature of this post but I wanted to ask "the experts" here!

Newsom is 99.99% potty trained, he doesn't go in the house or his crate anymore and is a VERY good boy about running to the door.

Recently (the last few days) he's been doing something rather gross: he and Shango have an area of the lawn they go to the bathroom in and I've noticed him licking the spots where both dogs urinate! He doesn't eat the grass or anything, but licks it. It's worse when they go outside together, as soon as Shango pee's and runs away, Newsom's over there licking!

Does anyone know what this means? Or how to break him of it?

• I have a poop eater, so I am no help. I have tried everything to break him of this, but I have resigned myself to NO late night kisses!

• It could be worse - I have one that will drink "from the faucet" - meaning the boy is lifting his leg and the girl sticks her head under to have a taste. 😉

• It is one of the most powerful sensory methods he will use to determine all the news of the day about Shango. Does he sort of smack his lips when he is testing the "water"?

• Re this thread, I think they are just "taking in" the smell of the other members of their pack. The pee licking won't hurt them, as I understand it.
    Poo eating, depending on how much, can be more of an issue. Re the poo eating, is it his poo or other dogs?

• @sharronhurlbut:

Re this thread, I think they are just "taking in" the smell of the other members of their pack. The pee licking won't hurt them, as I understand it.

I agree Sharron….. that is how dogs ID their pack.... My girls would do it all the time.... especially during breeding season

• @sharronhurlbut:

Re this thread, I think they are just "taking in" the smell of the other members of their pack. The pee licking won't hurt them, as I understand it.
    Poo eating, depending on how much, can be more of an issue. Re the poo eating, is it his poo or other dogs?

Jack (my Basenji mix) only eats his own and his two "siblings" (Clio my mixed breed and Cody, my Basenji). I know it can't be good for him and I pick up in the yard every single day, but there are times when he gets to it before I can. At least I know that he's not eating diseased poop as my other two are healthy and he seems uninterested in anybody else's at the dog park or on walks, but it still can't be good for him. I have tried "Forbid" and tomato juice - I have even tried hot pepper on the poop as an aversion training thing, but nothing has worked. So, now it's just a matter of being vigilant. And, he's not eating copious amounts, but he probably gets a good nibble in every couple of days. This is probably way more info. than you needed! LOL!

• I understand there is a product you can get at PetSmart or Pet Co that you sprinkle on their food and it makes their waste distasteful. At least that is what I have heard.
    But remember, dogs do clean up the area's they live in, re mom's and puppies. To keep lions from eating them.
    That is my total knowledge of this subject, but I bet more folks have more to offer.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I understand there is a product you can get at PetSmart or Pet Co that you sprinkle on their food and it makes their waste distasteful. At least that is what I have heard.

Yes. It's called "Forbid" - I have used it without success. There may be other brands, but basically, yes, it's supposed to make the poop taste bad. Oh, the irony!

• @bewler:

Yes. It's called "Forbid" - I have used it without success. There may be other brands, but basically, yes, it's supposed to make the poop taste bad. Oh, the irony!

Solid Gold, a leader in holistic pet health, also has a product called S.E.P (Stop Eating Poop) (really!) that is supposed to work very well, too.

I've read somewhere that a possible food change (to one with a more complete nutritional coverage) will also deter the pups from eating poop….

• @AndrewnShango:

Solid Gold, a leader in holistic pet health, also has a product called S.E.P (Stop Eating Poop) (really!) that is supposed to work very well, too.

I've read somewhere that a possible food change (to one with a more complete nutritional coverage) will also deter the pups from eating poop….

Funny you should mention a food change - my husband found a website that rates about 200 brands based on nutritional value and the one we chose (based on our ability to get it locally) is Taste of the Wild. Perhaps that will help a bit! It was rated 5 stars (on a 1 to 5 point scale). Thanks for the information!

• Oh, and here's the link in case anyone is interested. It's a lot of information to slog through, but I found it very informative and it made me realize that my current dog food (Science diet) is just a bunch of filler with little protein. The comments are very helpful in determining what kind of food actually lives up to it's claims…

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

So, I have changed my food - we'll see how it goes. I just bought it yesterday so results aren't in just yet!

• Mine will stand in the middle of the yard and while peeing turn around and lick the pee like he's trying to start cleaning himself before he's finished. I have to walk over and pull his head away. He only does it when he first pees in the morning or after holding it all day. After that he does the normal lift the leg without licking it.

• @bewler:

I have a poop eater, so I am no help. I have tried everything to break him of this, but I have resigned myself to NO late night kisses!

I have heard pet nutritionists say if the dogs are healthy, it isn't a problem. I say, let them lick you. Ick. You might simply put on a basket muzzle if you can't go out with him. I know a gal who resorted to a shock collar to break her dog, but she competed and did field trials and he had gotten sick several times from feces. However, a citronella collar to squirt him, that I could get behind. 🙂

On dog foods, whole dog journal lists the top ones. I posted them a while ago. Another good comparison site is http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

http://www.epettalk.com/forums/content.php?28-2010-Whole-Dog-%20Journal-s-Recommended-DRY-Food-List

• There is no harm in him licking the other dogs urine. To us it might seem awful but it's a way of checking up on the other dog. My males check the bitches pee all the time while they are in season.

Suggested Topics