• Back in 2007 when the Fanconi DNA test first became available I did what every other Basenji owner on the planet did….I rushed to get in line to have my dogs tested.

In Sept of 2007 my little Basenji girl, Ace tested carrier for Fanconi.
    Jan 31st 2011 Ace was diagnosed with Fanconi.
    In Dec and Jan, Ace had been drinking more water and started having potty accidents in the house. So I made an appt and took her in for what I thought might be a UTI. When Dr. Carter said she had no sign of a UTI but was spilling sugar (++++) I didn't know what to think, I told him she tested carrier. He drew some blood and sent it off. He called me first think Monday morning and told me her blood looked fine, it had to be Fanconi. I rushed her in to get her blood gases done, and then ran around town finding as many of the pills that she would need as I could. She started the protocol that night. Ace now takes 12 pills a day 6 in the am and 6 in the pm. There are two more she takes once a week. We also had to start a new food. She just had her 4 week recheck and her levels look good. Dr. Carter said we must have found it early. We really lucked out...if you can say it that.

Now I know the test is just a linked marker test and we were all told it was not 100%.
    Our test results are all listed as probably clear, probably carrier or probably affected. Also there is always the chance for human error.
    But I am sure like many others as the years went by I slowly stopped test striping.
    Please Please don't be like me...don't push your luck...strip test no matter what your test results came back as. Don't risk not finding it early.

Jessica Ryno
    attachment_t_10971_0_ace2.jpg

• Sorry to hear this has happened to you Jessica.
    If you haven't already done so, please call Liz or Jon and request a swab for another test.
    Ace just may be one of those Basenjis that tests as a carrier because of her DNA basically being odd.
    Too many folks are quick to blame the test. When, in fact, the DNA of the dog could still test as a carrier on multiple tests.
    I have been there already, and it is hard.
    When this happened last year, I posted about continuing to strip test carriers that come from breedings that COULD produce an affected [such as Carrier x Carrier or Carrier x Affected breedings].
    We are wishing ACE many long healthy and most happy years to come with you!!

• I have talked to Jon and Liz. and she has been re-rested..now she tests affected.

• Jessica, I am sorry Ace has Fanconi now. I hope she will do well on the protocol and have a long and happy life. I know of several fanconi dogs who have lived 10 + years on the protocol, so it is possible. Best of luck and big hugs.

• First Basenji's

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Thanks for maintaining dialogue with the folks at OFA. And thanks for keeping the rest of us in the loop. This is important information to know.

Only with more feedback can the test be improved, if there is any way to improve it beyond what we have (the linked marker test).

• Houston

Oh Jessica..my heart breaks for Ace and you..I am glad it seems to have been caught early on..hopefully the protocol will do wonders and she will live and prosper for many, many years to come. Please keep us updated.

• Sorry to hear this news. I hope the protocol works well for your little girl. B hugs

• Oh dear - how sad for you. I am terribly sorry on this turn of events. However, you sound very dedicated and diligent in regards to Ace's health. Please keep us posted as to how things go.

What was the Fanconi status of Ace's parents, grandparents, etc. - do you know?

• I'm sorry that this has happened to your girl and hope that she will have many more years. She is beautiful.

• I'm so sorry to hear this, I'm hoping she will do okay with the protocol

• Is changing from Fanconi carrier to Fanconi affected heard of a lot? Possible the first test was wrong? This is very sad but I'd love to hear our Forum experts' thoughts on this.

• @Kipawa:

Is changing from Fanconi carrier to Fanconi affected heard of a lot? Possible the first test was wrong? This is very sad but I'd love to hear our Forum experts' thoughts on this.

I think that Kathy Britton's comment put it best. And no, it is not heard of a lot, in fact, I would say it is pretty rare.

• Such a blow for you and your b. I am sorry this has happened. Hugs.

• @Batcavebasenjis:

Back in 2007 when the Fanconi DNA test first became available I did what every other Basenji owner on the planet did….I rushed to get in line to have my dogs tested.

In Sept of 2007 my little Basenji girl, Ace tested carrier for Fanconi.
    Jan 31st 2011 Ace was diagnosed with Fanconi.
    In Dec and Jan, Ace had been drinking more water and started having potty accidents in the house. So I made an appt and took her in for what I thought might be a UTI. When Dr. Carter said she had no sign of a UTI but was spilling sugar (++++) I didn't know what to think, I told him she tested carrier. He drew some blood and sent it off. He called me first think Monday morning and told me her blood looked fine, it had to be Fanconi. I rushed her in to get her blood gases done, and then ran around town finding as many of the pills that she would need as I could. She started the protocol that night. Ace now takes 12 pills a day 6 in the am and 6 in the pm. There are two more she takes once a week. We also had to start a new food. She just had her 4 week recheck and her levels look good. Dr. Carter said we must have found it early. We really lucked out...if you can say it that.

Now I know the test is just a linked marker test and we were all told it was not 100%.
    Our test results are all listed as probably clear, probably carrier or probably affected. Also there is always the chance for human error.
    But I am sure like many others as the years went by I slowly stopped test striping.
    Please Please don't be like me...don't push your luck...strip test no matter what your test results came back as. Don't risk not finding it early.

Jessica Ryno

Dear Jessica,
    My heart goes out to you and Ace. Please know that as you deal with this new situation, you are part of a big family (the breed fancy) who has just circled our wagons around you.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Jessica, your on the closed fanconi list yes?

• Jessica, your on the closed fanconi list yes?

Sharron Hurlbut
    BRAT, basenji rescue
    Evergreen basenji club
    Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue

Yes I am.

• @Kipawa:

Oh dear - how sad for you. I am terribly sorry on this turn of events. However, you sound very dedicated and diligent in regards to Ace's health. Please keep us posted as to how things go.

What was the Fanconi status of Ace's parents, grandparents, etc. - do you know?

I do not. They were never tested.(they are not in the OFA database)

I tried to find her"breeder" but all I found out was that she divorced a short time after I got Ace and "got out of the breed" she went back to her maiden name but I don't know what that is. I found her now, ex-husband and he is re-married but he is not returning any emails or phone. I found on of her kids on facebook but he will not friend me.
    So no help there.

Jessica

• @Kipawa:

Is changing from Fanconi carrier to Fanconi affected heard of a lot? Possible the first test was wrong? This is very sad but I'd love to hear our Forum experts' thoughts on this.

Well Aug 28th 2007 Ace tested Carrier the in 2011 re-tested affected

I had them retest her three pups. In 2007 two had come back carrier(run Sept 2007), the 3rd Ra's came back affected(run Oct 2007).
    When they were retested all three came back carrier.

I know what you are thinking Ace and Ra's tests/results got mixed up…no once I got Ace's test back (and the sire had come back carrier as well) I made his owner get him tested right away.

I have been talking with Julie Leicht of Tailwind Basenjis, in Oregon..the same thing is happening with her dog...in 2007 he tested carrier and Feb 16th he was diagnosed with Fanconi.

So 5 dogs that were tested in the fall of 2007 were retested last week and 3 of the 5 now have different results.

Jessica

• Heartbreaking. Hugs, hugs, hugs.
    Sometimes life is so darn unfair.

• Jessica,
    I'm so sorry for you and your girl Ace, I will keep you both in my prayers and hope your girl responds well to the protocol and lives many happy years with you.
    Thank you for sharing your news at a difficult time and please keep us posted on your girls treatment when you can. With a name like Ace she must be very special.
    Hugs,
    Therese and Kevin Leimback
    FoPaw's Basenjis

Suggested Topics