• Houston

So happy for you..it is all working out…can't wait to see more pictures of him.

• @tanza:

How exciting!!! You will love being part of FoPaws extended Family…. that includes me.. Kobey was from a co-breeding that Kevin and Therese did with Lisa Hart. Kobey is sired by a litter brother of Sober, so Kobey is related to your baby puppy.

Thanks, Pat. I love knowing that Kipawa has a ready made family out there - I will probably make a Kipawa family tree. We have one for our families (both me and hubby) and now one for the other man in the house!

• I'm so happy for you! I've only been on the forums for about a year and am of course no expert, but I've read quite a few of your posts and I think it's just wonderful you're finally going to get your puppy! Congrats! I think Kipawa is a beautiful name as well - is there a story behind the name?

• @Mango:

I'm so happy for you! I've only been on the forums for about a year and am of course no expert, but I've read quite a few of your posts and I think it's just wonderful you're finally going to get your puppy! Congrats! I think Kipawa is a beautiful name as well - is there a story behind the name?

Yes, thanks for asking. There is a story behind the name.

In Swahili, Kipawa means "gift". Initially, I had been looking at Swahili names to pick something close to the origin of the Basenji. I found the name interesting (you won't meet another dog called Kipawa) and really liked that the name meant "gift", which he surely will be to us - a little gift.

I chose this name at least half a year ago. As the date started getting closer to us getting him, I re-checked over a huge list of African names, and I just felt that after viewing them, Kipawa was still my favourite - I like the name, it means something to me, and it has the word "paw" in it. 🙂 🙂

• Fran i am so pleased you will be getting your gift soon 😉 You both deserve some happiness after losing Barney.
    Malaika's name is Swahili too. I realy like the Man in motion bit of his name, especialy knowing the reason behind it.

• @thunderbird8588:

Fran i am so pleased you will be getting your gift soon 😉 You both deserve some happiness after losing Barney.
    Malaika's name is Swahili too. I realy like the Man in motion bit of his name, especialy knowing the reason behind it.

Thanks so much Shelley. It's been a tough time, but I really think Kipawa will be a wonderful dog. I am amazed at how much he knows already, and how FoPaw's is letting him experience so many things, that by the time he gets to us he will be bomb proof… well, that is until he hears our ****atoos!

• @Kipawa:

And Therese has agreed with the name we are picking for Kipawa -
    AKC FoPaw's Basenjis Man in Motion Kipawa. The Man in Motion part relates to a fellow very big in Canada named Rick Hansen. He did a world tour in 1986, wheeling around the world in his wheelchair to show people that those who have challenges can do whatever they dream of when they put their minds to it.

I'm a firm believer in giving a dog a name to live up to. With that name, I think you have a superb therapy dog in the making! Lucky you.

Congrats on your new family member(s).

• How exciting…

Just a little question, exactly how do you pronounce his name :o ???

• @saba:

How exciting…

Just a little question, exactly how do you pronounce his name :o ???

The pronunciation is:

Ki (short i) paw wah

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for asking.

• Fran, I am so happy for you…these breeders are just the best..as you know, having done your homework to find the right one for you!
    Hugs my dear friend. I can't wait to hear your new boy is home.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Fran, I am so happy for you…these breeders are just the best..as you know, having done your homework to find the right one for you!
    Hugs my dear friend. I can't wait to hear your new boy is home.

Sharron, at some point I am sure you will hear a squeal of delight that will carry from our home to yours! We may have Kipawa the week between Christmas and New Years, or the first week in the New Year.

Right now, every few days I go out and get a needed item. Today it will be the crate for in the home, and a crate I can put in my car. I need to do a few measurements for the crate for the car, but there is tons of room for the home crate. I need to get some pine shavings (not sure that is what they are called) for Kipawa's litter box.

Also on the list is a round door knob for the bird room (instead of the handle type) and a bigger kitty door (that leads to the garage and the litter boxes). Also want a nyla bone, but have many other toy and chew items. I have been sleeping with the soft toys. It feels oddly comfortable - honestly!

This IS a very exciting time for us. I wish you would all be able to see the joy in my face as I take him for his first walk around our cul-de-sac to get familiar with things. Then we will cross the street at the end of the cul-de-sac and look at the farm animals there. And we have a very long dyke at the end of the road that provides for lots of walking. And then there is around the other street past some houses…. these are going to be wonderful experiences for us and Kipawa. 🙂 And it will be heart warming to bring him to the rehab hospital where my hubby does peer mentoring work now. Animals are so good for people lost in their pain.

I am currently starting to look at puppy/dog obedience classes in our general area. I do not mind driving a little ways to get to a good one. Our vet promotes one they know of, so I will look into that one first.

On a different note, my husband and I are bringing a picture of our beloved Barney to the vet, along with a monetary gift that we are calling the Barney Memorial Fund. Our vet takes in strays and gets them adopted, so a yearly donation will help out with making sure left behind animals can get a better re-start for a new life.

Oh, and then there is Christmas shopping? Yikes!

• It's just lovely to read how you are preparing yourself! 🙂
    And what a wonderful idea to make a Barney Memorial Fund.. Really heart warming..

• Houston

Sounds like you are "nesting" Fran..what a wonderful thing to do..means you are preparing for the new baby in this case your new baby dog, and every thing you do will make it one step closer to him being with you.

I got Pippin's crate saturday and I really like it..it is a 2 door variety with a "garage" style front door and one in the roof of the crate as well. The garage style door is really nice since that makes for no door being left open to run into..yikes, I have done that one time too many on Moses' crate. My other dogs are wanting to sleep in it so badly..but I am afraid thay will get confused if I then "kick" them out once Pippin arrives..so for now it sits in its dedicated spot with the door closed…listen to me ramble..sorry..;)

• This is the type of basenji owner any breeder would want to deal with. Fran, this little guy is very lucky to have found your home.
    I can't wait to see the photos!!

• I agree, Sharron! Lucky puppy! And lucky us cause I know Fran is going to share many pictures and stories. Now if she could ONLY bottle puppy breathe!

• @DebraDownSouth:

Now if she could ONLY bottle puppy breathe!

Well… I can give it a good try. 🙂

• @Kipawa:

The pronunciation is:

Ki (short i) paw wah

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for asking.

Thank you for explaining, I actually had been pronouncing it correctly ;)…

• @sharronhurlbut:

This is the type of basenji owner any breeder would want to deal with. Fran, this little guy is very lucky to have found your home.
    I can't wait to see the photos!!

Totally! I am so thrilled for you 🙂 It brings back memories from 12 years ago when we were preparing to bring home our little Querky baby 🙂 Have fun…enjoy...and take lots of pics 🙂

• Trust me, Kipawa will be sick of having a camera in his face. I'm looking to buy a new camera. It's amazing how out of date a camera can get in 5 years. What is out on the market now produces much more detail. I doubt I can get pics as wonderful as Janneke's with Tillo, but I at least have something to strive for.

More shopping today for Kipawa. He is litter trained and FoPaw's uses pine fuel pellets. So we are off to pick up a HUGE bag of that for only $6. So much cheaper than kitty litter. I may try to switch my cats over to it as it emits a lovely pine smell when urine hits it. Not quite sure what it does for the poops though. For Kipawa, I want pooping in the house to only be done on an emergency basis. He is going to get his 2 - 3 times a day walks, so that is when I will hope for pooping.

Yesterday I pulled out my husband's old Australian Outback riding coat. It was so great on those wet rides we took in the mountains in our area. However, I look like a little lost girl in it. The shoulders are way too huge. For the bum area, however, it does seem to fit better! 🙂 And it has that musky oiled smell to it. Ick! So I think I will look for a decent longer rain jacket for myself. I can't believe I don't have one already, as all we get here at this time of the year is rain.

It's fun having a puppy list of products, and yes, it does feel like I am nesting. I will be human food shopping at my favourite organic store today, so I am going to pick up some canned pumpkin, as well as organic chicken and hot dogs. Yes - they have organic hot dogs there. 🙂 I have to admit hubby and I love Kraft Dinner with hot dogs every now and then, but I will only eat organic weiners and I do not feed anything to my animals/birds that I would not eat myself.

Hope all of you have a wonderful day with your family and doggies.

• Update: 🙂 🙂 I spoke with Therese of FoPaw's earlier this evening. It is quite busy at their place with the puppies, Christmas planning and another litter on the way. Despite all of that, we can expect our little man Kipawa between Christmas and New Year's. 🙂 🙂 Yay!!

Suggested Topics