• Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give a small introduction as a new member to this forum. My name is Gilbert, I'm 23 and can't wait to own a besenji and bring him into my loving family. I live with my older brother and parents and we have all decided that its time to add a new member to the family.

About 3 years ago, my english bulldog (Gator) passed away due to cancer. We've had him for an amazing and joyful 10 years and was devastated when he died. This was particularly hard for me because I was Gator's primary owner and as such, had a special bond with him. After his death, I couldn't think of getting another dog because it was so difficult to part with Gator.

For the past year and a half, I have been thinking about a new dog and after much research, I find that a basenji would be perfect for my family and I. I understand that a bulldog and besenji have very different personalities, but from what I've read, a B would be the most ideal choice. Their playful, curious and independent nature is what I find delightful and they're handsome physique does not hurt as well.

I am currently looking for a red and white puppy (preferably in Ontario), I know that mating season isn't for another few months, but hoping to get one soon. I realize thats a different thread altogether and I'll start it in the appropriate forum.

Well this was supposed to be a "small" intro and I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep. Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone and keep learning through this website. Take care.

• Houston

Welcome onboard Gilbert..nice to have you here.. I am looking for a puppy as well, it is exciting and yet nervy..I wish you best of luck in your "hunt" for you new family member.

• First Basenji's

Welcome, and good luck in your search. Folks on this board are well connected and will be able to help you locate a responsible breeder with great puppies. I think if you're receptive to getting a "teenaged" puppy (months old and not just an 8 or 10 week-old), you'll have more options, as well.

• Welcome to the forum, Gilbert - you will find a lot of support and information on this board. Since it will be your first Basenji, perhaps you might look into one a little older - puppyhood is cute, but very very time/energy consuming.

• First Basenji's

Welcome Gilbert! I as well want to wish you good luck and congrats on finding this forum. Perhaps you might consider what Shaye's mom said about an older dog. The BRAT (Basenji Rescue and Transport) has sooooooooooo many dogs that were given up because people thought the B was the perfect dog for the family. Buddy was adopted into my family at the tender age of 1.? years old. I find him so charming, but the training is very unique as there has to be a lot of patience on your part, and no negative reinforcement (other than the word No, but not too loud!) They take their time in giving you respect. The puppyhood thing is unknown to me with the B, but the others in this forum definitely paint a good picture!!!!!!!!!! take care! đŸ™‚

• Welcome and good luck with your search.

• hi Gilbert, I too am in a waiting mode for my basenji - I have three quite senior cats that I love, and I feel it is best to do a little more waiting before bringing what will be my first basenji into our home. There is so much good information on this forum. Probably the main thing I have learned is to be very diligent in finding a breeder who does health testing on their breeding dogs. Fanconi Syndrome is one illness that can be a sad one to deal with, but reputable breeders make sure their dogs will not produce pups with Fanconi. Also important is the temperament of the parent dogs. Soooo much to think about before getting a basenji, but doing your homework pays off in the future. Glad to have you here with us.

• Welcome to the forum and I ish you every success in finding your ideal puppy.

• Welcome to the forum!

Suggested Topics