Gizmo brutally attacked by German Shepard (warning! a little blood in the pictures).

• Its too bad he won't do the right thing. Can you take him to small claimes court?

• @NerdyDogOwner:

QUICK UPDATE:

So it turns out the owner of the Shepard has been home since Thursday 27, and has been on his Facebook page. So he has seen the message about me asking him to contact me.

I have attempted to call him but no answer. I left a message on his phone. I let one day pass. Nothing.

I then sent a text message. Let one day pass. Nothing.

I contacted the witness lady whom knows him. She is going to talk to him today. If I hear nothing today I will file a police report.

It's obvious he is avoiding the whole situation. Sadly I am now forced to send in Gizmos bills to Gizmos insurance. Bummer.

It's unfortunate that any person that would let their dog stay in a dog park after attacking another dog probably isn't responsible enough take care of this. If he was responsible he wouldn't have had that dog in there to begin with and at least would have said "I will take care of your vet bills and here's my contact information". For you and Gizmo to have gone through this ordeal is bad enough but to have to chase this guy around now is really bad!

• Um. This guy knows his dog can be violent, and still brings him to the dog park???????? You should get in touch with the people in charge and get this guy banned from the park.

• It's a city park, so they can't really ban him since his taxes pay for it….at least I think they can't.

Anyways, I got a response from the owner today and he is paying for the full amount of the vet bills. He didn't want to, and tried to get away with it by offering half. But I responded with a whole bunch of norwegian dog laws that clearly state that the owner is responsible for all damages his/her dog does no matter the situation.

I finally feel that this whole situation is coming to an end. Such a relief!

• First Basenji's

@NerdyDogOwner:

Anyways, I got a response from the owner today and he is paying for the full amount of the vet bills.

Good on you for staying your ground. It must be such a huge relief. And I hope Gizmo is healing nicely (from the pictures you've posted since then, he seems okay). I wonder if the GSD owner gave any indication that he's taking steps to train his dog to be less violent? This should be a huge wake-up call for him, but he seems to have been so dodgy about admitting fault…

• @NerdyDogOwner:

It's a city park, so they can't really ban him since his taxes pay for it….at least I think they can't.

Anyways, I got a response from the owner today and he is paying for the full amount of the vet bills. He didn't want to, and tried to get away with it by offering half. But I responded with a whole bunch of norwegian dog laws that clearly state that the owner is responsible for all damages his/her dog does no matter the situation.

I finally feel that this whole situation is coming to an end. Such a relief!

That's great news. 😃

Unless the laws are much different out there, I know here all city owned dog parks will prohibit any aggressive dogs by default, so with a history of aggression they would not be allowed to use the dog parks.

• I'm glad he's footing the bill and i certainly think its worth complaining in writing to the council or whoever controls the park. Just because he pays taxes doesn't mean he can take an aggresive Dog there, if you think about it his common sense should tell him that.
    In our public parks there are Dog wardens that matters can be reported to, never done it and don't know what would happen if you did report something but it's got to be worth a try.
    The main thing is Gizmo is ok.

• Sorry about Gizmo. I know how you feel. It is horrible to see your dog attacked.

Jim was walking Belle a few years ago (she was about 8 at the time) around our neighborhood, the same streets we walk her on everyday. About three blocks away a German Shepherd dog escaped her house and rushed across the street and attacked her. Bit and shook her by the neck and ripped a long gash on her side where her front leg meets her side. A teenager from the house ran across the street and pulled the dog off Belle who was screaming her head off. Then the dog jumped back on her and the girl's mom joined her grabbing their dog.

Jim picked her up and headed home. That's when it is good to have a dog that only weighs 20 lbs! Belle's screaming was such that about eight people popped out and one family called the police as they said the dog had attacked two other dogs on the street over the last few months.

I was in the house when Jim ran in carrying Belle covered in blood . She was alternating screaming and crying. We wrapped her in a big towel and got in the car and headed to our vet, calling on the way to tell them what happened so they could be ready for her.

As we drove pass the house where the GSD lived, there were about 15 people in the yard and two police cars. We've lived in this subdivision (NW Columbus) for 22 years and have never seen such a gathering as people were screaming at the family with the GSD and the police had to hold people back. I never knew there were any problems as we rarely see a loose dog.

Turned out the mother of the woman who owned the dog lived next to the mother of our vet! She paid Belle's vet bill and stopped by a couple of times to see how she was. Belle had to have about 20 stitches and a round of antibiotics but the hard part was keeping her from doing any running for a week. Because we applied pressure to the wounds she do not lose enough blood to warrant a transfusion. She was awfully sore and needed pain pills for the first couple of days. Between the stitches and the shaved areas she looked pretty pathetic for weeks.

About two weeks later we walked her past the house with the GSD and it was like nothing had happened. Belle didn't seem to associate it with anything, even when we heard the dog barking inside the house (yes, they kept the dog.)

I know accidents can happen and at least the scars were not psychological as she still loves my son's German Shepherd. And loves long walks.

• Late to the party, but 'Nerdy', so glad to see that all has seemed to work out. I am off work for a couple of weeks and was thinking of going to our new dog park for the 1st time. I'm now having second thoughts, after reading this thread. My backyard, literally, borders a city park, so I have no lack of room to roam. My reason for going to the dog park would be to let my bud off-leash and socializing. I am not sure that the benefit outweigh's the possible detriment. I will have to give the issue much further consideration. Perhaps I will go to the park wthout Mr. Fuzzyface in order to make a more informed decision.
    Amazing how a couple of weeks off work with "no plans" turn into all kinds of 'plans'.

• oh my , what a sad sad situation, I hope Gizmo does not suffer from mentally problems after this attack! the physical wounds will heal as well as the bills….. but they can get a severe behaviour problem after such attacks....I have had it with my oldest basenji too, she was attacked 2 times by a german shepherd, after I finally got her back to normal on walks etc another shepherd attacked her.....

• I guess things are different there. Here … a dog attack mine the dog would be secure or removed from the home of the irresponsible owners. And if where you walk is so dangerous, why not find somewhere safe or carry say, a baseball bat with you?

• i protect my dog and myself with a firearm at all times….if a dog attacked me like that, i'd be in fear for my life and do what i have to do.

• @DebraDownSouth:

I guess things are different there. Here … a dog attack mine the dog would be secure or removed from the home of the irresponsible owners. And if where you walk is so dangerous, why not find somewhere safe or carry say, a baseball bat with you?

Sorry to be so late in responding, just figured out you might be replying to my message and not the one about Gizmo.

We have lived in this neighborhood for 22 years, and I have only seen dogs loose three times, twice with the owner right after them trying to get them back and the once when Belle was attacked. We have fairly strict leash laws and in the area of town I live in you just don't see dogs running loose. That was four years ago and I have not seen a loose dog anywhere around her since.

Although I do remember growing up in Tennessee in the 50s-60s when everyone on our street had a dog and they all were running loose all the time, including our dalmatian who used to chase the garbage truck!

Suggested Topics