Warning !

It might seem ridiculous to most of you :o but for me it was quite a shock when I learned that a friend of mine lost his Basenji after he had eaten (some ? a lot of ?)acorns !!! As Bendji is my first dog ever I was completely unaware of this. 😞 Apparently the green acorns are the most poisonous as they contain a lot of tannin. It seems that there is no antidote for it either …:eek:
So forgive me if I rake up old stories but maybe there are some "doggy-newbies" like me on the forum who can do something with this info. On the other hand please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong !😕

Thanks for sharing!!!
You never can be rediculous for sharing someting like that walter!!!

@wizard:

Here are a couple of website that provide information on toxic plants:
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/bytox1.html

Wizard.
On the first link they say nothing about the toxicity of acorns for dogs, only that they are dangerous for cattle and horses; 😕
the second link is a dead link …:(
Greetings from Belgium

Thanks for the links to the poisonous plants . It's about planting time . We're putting up a new fence for the hopefully forthcoming new basenji ( waiting for the home visit from a BRAT volunteer ) and I wanted to plant some flowers inside the area . I needed the information on plants . Also , does anyone know if onions are poisonous to dogs ? I always heard that they were , but did not see them listed . Our yard tends to sprout the wild variety .

@LBRunyon:

Thanks for the links to the poisonous plants . It's about planting time . We're putting up a new fence for the hopefully forthcoming new basenji ( waiting for the home visit from a BRAT volunteer ) and I wanted to plant some flowers inside the area . I needed the information on plants . Also , does anyone know if onions are poisonous to dogs ? I always heard that they were , but did not see them listed . Our yard tends to sprout the wild variety .

First link, main page, left column, Find - by common name, the first items on the left are the onions !;)
Greetz

I know a lot of the foods that are poisonous, but I wasn't aware of the acorns… thanks for the information!!!

Most dogs don't eat acorns but they are toxic. Because of my husband's job I know many of the odder toxins that animals are at risk for. He works for the California Animal Health and Food Safety lab in their toxicology department and they get lots of various poisoning cases.

Pennies are also toxic if ingested, the stomach acid reacts with the metal. Apparently, this is not an uncommon accidental poisoning for dogs especially puppies.

And walnuts are toxic also… a person that I used to work with almost lost their Ridgeback from eating walnuts from their tree in the back yard.... I should clarify that... I believe it is no so much the nut itself.. but the "shell lining"... if that makes any sense

Sorry about the broken link. You can also get information usually from your state extension office.

Macadamia nuts are toxic, too…

(I sure am glad that peanuts are not toxic or Bella would go into "spaz" mode without her peanut butter).

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.