Hopefully Babies for Langarni Basenjis.

• They do not need to be sedated for the x-ray. Rally, TC, and Rio were all good for their x-rays.

• Mine were never sedated for xray…. no problem at all. One tip I will advise is try and make sure that she has "pooped" before the xray, as the feces can "hide" or blur a pup.... or at least they have on mine.

• Thanks guys…

I did think it was a bit excessive, so I just wanted to check... I cant imagine it being a problem, with her moving on th table, she's really finding it a bit difficult to move at all :).

Good tip Tanza, will make sure shes as empty as can be !!!

Whelping box is half done, Mr Saba is doing a great job on it... Very happy 🙂

• Well we are just back from the Vet, after having Ochre's x-ray…

She has 6 little 'buns in the oven' :eek:... I thought she had popped out a lot from her 7 week photo. She is 8 weeks today... Will get that pic up soon I hope... Just need to wait for Mr Saba, who is currently finishing off the whelping box :D...

She is day 56 today, and as a maiden I have no clue what her birthing pattern will be like, so I was wondering what day should I start to take her temperature ??? Have heard that B girls like to go closer to day 60 than day 63, any truth in that ???

Getting very excited, but very nervous too :p

• Did you do progesterone testing? The one thing my girls actually seemed to do "by the book" was whelp 63 days after ovulation based on their progesterone tests.

• Yep she was prog tested, she was 35.3 I think, (not sure what that is in your scale…), the day she went from here to Melbourne, for the mating... She had a 35 minute tie that night, and that was it. She came back to Tassie 2 days later.

Forgot to add in my last post that the U/S found 2-3 blobs... So many of you ended up with double what the U/S said... I guess Ochre must have a little hidden American blood in her, either that, or she was listening to me when I was telling people, cos she doubled what seen as well :D:D:D

• Ok, this afternoon at 5pm, I took Ochre's temp and it was 37.4, so thats ok, I just need to keep an eye on it… Its now 11pm, and I was going to go to bed, so I thought I would take it again, and 15 mins ago it was 36.9, so now Im just starting to panic, wondering if I have managed to actually catch her drop, before the babies are to be born :eek:

Dont think I will be getting much sleep tonight, or am I starting to panic too early ??? :o

• According to my vet, their temperatures normally lower at night. She told me to take the temperature once in the morning and once at night and to try for the same time so then if it dropped compared to the other readings at that time then I would know to be prepared. Rio was opposite of what she said to expect, warmer at night and colder in the morning but she was very consistent.

• Thanks for that Ivoss…

I have decided to go to bed, but she will be coming with me, and I think I will be sleeping with one eye open all night !!! Thankfully I am a very light sleeper 😉

• And my girls never "read" that book about temperature!! period… we never found a pattern and Maggii's temp never dropped

• Houston

Oh..I am so excited for you and nervous too..it will all be good..keeping my fingers crossed and sending good vibes to all of you..keep us posted.:)

• Not long now!! I hope all goes well.

• Thanks guys…

So far no action yet. She has eaten her breakfast, and is otherwise behaving quite normally. Dont think things will happen for a few days yet :)... Will keep you up to date when things begin 🙂

• Here we are 24 hours later, and still no action 🙂

• @saba:

Here we are 24 hours later, and still no action 🙂

Just remember they don't read the books… My Maggii ate breakfast at 8am... delivered the first puppy at 11:30... Maiden bitch and it freaked her out... didn't have the next one till 1:30... then every 30 minutes for a grand total of 6!... Her temp never dropped.

Mickii refused to eat in the morning, 1st born at 1pm, 4 puppies and don at 2:15pm... temp never dropped

Fatia ate dinner at 6pm, when into labor at 11pm, done at 1:30 = 4 pups... and not to freak you out... but then 3 hours later she whelped a pup with an exposed skull that was not viable... On her xray they saw the 4, and because she had not "pooped" miss the 5th, but not sure if they would have been able to tell if that one was viable or not...

• Well its now 11pm, and still nothing… These babies are going to be July babies, the way she is going 🙂 !!!

Tanza, I think she is just going to do it, all in her good time, Basenji time, of course ;)... Interesting that your girls did nothing with their temperatures at all. Im starting to wonder just if its a bit over-rated ??? I am also thinking that the brand new thermometer, I bought ths Monday, is faulty ??? According to all the temps Ive taken, Ochre should have had the babies a day or two ago... They are still playing football in the tummy, so all is well with them... I guess time will tell :rolleyes:

• Rio's temp when I began taking it was already low. My vet said not to worry, we started a 5 days before she was due so either the thermometer was reading low or she was just running cooler than the "average" dog. She said don't worry about the number look for a drop of at least a degree from that number or nesting behavior.

I don't usually do the temperature thing but since we knew we were going to do a C-section, it was important to try to get the timing right.

• And all of mine "nested"…. lots on the day/evening they whelped. Lots and Lots of digging.....

• Patience is the key (but not too much!) I do hope she'll bless you with these puppies soon.

• SIGH…........................... Me too Patty :rolleyes:

Suggested Topics