I need help naming my new basenji pup!!

• @misspodhradsky:

Its rather hard to find people to mentor me. USUALLY when i talk to a breeder they are all about saying dont breed we dont need anymore puppies when thats not what im about. Im not just going to breed and breed and breed. I want to help better the basenjis too and have a good line of dogs. Otherwise they are nice and then i never hear from them again. I would like to learn more about showing basenjis. Do you know anyone who could help me? I know about the basenjis but not to much about showing. I mean i know a little bit. and i know you have to groom them, and there is a certain stance for all show dogs, and stuff but i would like to know more, more details and more important stuff.

let me know if you can help, OR if you know someone else who can. 🙂 I appreciate your help.

You can learn about shows at www.akc.org there is information for beginners. Again, go to shows and watch… and if you seach the Forum, there are threads on showing and good books about showing. First you need to understand the breed standard and if your pup is show quality or not.

• For a call name how about Cara for her little heart marking.

• thanks. ill keep those in mind. and thanks ill go to shows. her breeder said she would make a good show dog. anyways thanks everyone. more ideas are welcome~!

😃

• You said that her breeder does not show, how did the breeder determine that she would be show quality? What is her experience in grading puppies for show quality? What method did she use? Did she go over your pup's strengths and faults?

• @misspodhradsky:

thanks. ill keep those in mind. and thanks ill go to shows. her breeder said she would make a good show dog. anyways thanks everyone. more ideas are welcome~!

😃

I would agree with lvoss, how did she evaluate this pup and determine that she is show quality?

• If you have a basenji club in your area, that would be a good place to get feedback on your pup, re quality.

• Lela- thats at least what she looks like to me

• well she has shown, she does not show anymore. She has a few champions. She knows from her previous experience i assume and by AKC standards. She just said out of the puppies she had she would make the BEST show pup, of the litter.

• Typically, when a breeder is placing a pup as "show potential" they will go over the pup with the new owner and show them what they see in that puppy. This is especially important if the puppy is being placed with someone new to the breed. Whether in person, via video, or through many well shot photos of all sides of the puppies, the breeder should be able to take you through the dog's entire conformation. They should point out the areas they feel are particular strengths as well as show you where they feel the dog's faults are. These things are important for you to know. When you show you will want to try to emphasize the strengths while downplaying the faults.

This process also helps you see what method they use for grading a litter. There are several different takes on grading though many have similarities. Probably the best known is Pat Hastings' Puppy Puzzle.

I would highly recommend getting the book Tricks of Trade by Pat Hastings. It has a good section about how to evaluate your dog for conformation.

• O i didnt know they did that. I have a female basenji, she is 10 now. but we just got her from a friend not a breeder. I guess i have never actually gotten a puppy/basenji from a breeder before, just a friend or shelter. I will see if i can talk to her about the pluses and faults of her and her showing quality.

ill look into the book and see if i can get it. Thanks for the advice. 🙂

• For names, this site will keep you busy for a few hours.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/Names.htm

One request though…please do not use the "Of The Congo" part of her parents names in your dog's registered name. That affix was used by Veronica Tudor-Williams, one of the founders of the breed. When other people use the name, like the people who named your puppy's parents, it shows disrespect.

• Thanks a bunch for the reply, ill check out the link when i get done here.

and No worries, I wasnt planning on using it. but I didnt know it was the founder of the breed. That is very cool to know. 🙂 No I was planning on naming her something like Dreamlite's Big Bucks, and then her name could be Cash. -this is just an example i havent chosen her name or call name yet. but Im thinking something like that. -Thanks 😃

• @misspodhradsky:

No I was planning on naming her something like Dreamlite's Big Bucks, and then her name could be Cash. -this is just an example i havent chosen her name or call name yet. but Im thinking something like that. -Thanks 😃

What did you end up naming her?

• We have finally decided what we are naming her!

Her name is Marli. –like Marley and me.

Her registered name is Prairieland's forbidden Secret!

Thank you everyone for all the help! I also got her today and she is everything I hoped for!

• OMG you people are so polite. I am inspired to try to type this as politely as possible. it will be very hard. But sometimes beating around the bush isn't the way to protect the breed.

Good breeders, responsible breeders, do not sell puppies without limited registration (ie must be spayed or neutered) unless they feel the puppy truly is show potential and the HOME knowledgeable and willing to do things right. Keeping co-ownership is common to make SURE it is done right before the concept of breeding ever is done.

A good breeder educates their potential puppy homes. It sounds like you called GOOD breeders who offered you pet quality puppies but you wanted one you could totally control. I understand the desire, but understand a GOOD breeder feels responsibility to their dogs, NOT YOU, in doing what is right.

I would never, in a million years, have sold you a puppy without co-owning or on limited and insisted on mentoring you along if you really wanted to get into showing. A GOOD breeder really would love to have you learn from them and help you. But they would have held onto controls to protect that puppy.

Please, back up. Forget breeding. Get books on pedigrees, genetics and find show mentors who can help you learn to show and understand what you are doing. It isn't likely your puppy is special enough to warrant breeding. But she can be a superb learning tool and fun while you learn the things you need to know so that the next puppy has all the potential. I say that without looking at the pedigree because frankly, when experts here know dogs 3 or 4 generations back, it reveals as much as anyone needs to know. Well that and the ad for these puppies.

My dogs both have NOTHING but champions in every single generation for 5 generations. Guess what, got championship on Sayblee, spayed her. Spayed the other. Why? Because even with great looking pedigrees (and your pups doesn't come close), not all dogs should be bred. Improving the breed means taking a hard look at what really is improving. It also means setting aside your own wants for the benefit of the dog and breed. Did you know that not spaying this puppy before her first heat increases her chances of cancer? Do you know how much it costs to do it RIGHT, from titling, testing, finding the RIGHT stud with titles and tests?

There are many fine good breeders here. I know Rottweilers, rottie lines, rottie genetics. I can look at a pedigree going back 40 yrs and tell you issues. I can't do that at all with Basenji. So I leave the breeding to those folks… even though I am very very very knowledgeable about canine genetics and disorders in general.

I know you dismiss people who say don't breed. So I am sure this post will be dismissed. But I hope not. I hope you start reading to LEARN, open yourself up to being totally responsible about the breed, and if you are set on breeding, that you start putting away the major funds you will need to buy a quality bitch and do it right. And just have fun and learn on this puppy, or spay her and start taking handling classes, hanging out at shows, find a mentor and really learn. And btw, I took 2 1/2 yrs to buy my first Rottie. And I still made mistakes, big ones. But now, with the internet, there is no excuse for not learning and understanding what puppymills, backyard breeding and irresponsible breeding is and choosing to NOT be part of those folks.

• ok. Im going to be as nice as i can.

I appreciate you taking time to write that, however you dont know me. I dont PLAN on breeding her unless I can get a title. If i find a stud that matches her genetics. I HAVE read up on things, I HAVE gone to shows. I HAVE talked to breeders and had long conversations with them. I HAVE done all the things you said. I am also rescueing dogs here in South Dakota. www.foreverfriendsrescue.webs.com

I know all about the pros and cons of spaying and neutering. I always encourage people to spay and neuter. And Yes, that is great that you have 5 champions. Actually, you may not have read my page, but It says specifically in there that I want to someday do that, get 5 generations of champion lines. Im not saying im doing any of it soon and im not trying to be rude but before you go and start saying things maybe you should just confront me in person. My site is attached, my email is on there. You dont have to go around posting things when you have NO IDEA who i am or what I am doing.

People are "polite" on here because we all talk and we all care about the breed, hence why its a Basenji forum. I also ask that if people want to be rude, not to do it on my posted forums. I truely and genuinely care about basenjis, I have 2. one is a 10 yr old spayed female, the other is the 8 month old. They both sleep under my covers at night and they have free run of the house. I understand that ALOT of breeders do co-ownerships or limited. but if you didnt know, SOME will allow it without it if you have talked to them for a long time, they know you and you know them. This is the only year she allowed the full registration and next years puppies will only be limited. Me and Valeri know each other and are friends. We talked and we had an understanding that I would adopt a puppy that was not on limited and was all mine, one who i can breed–IF I CHOOSE TO--or spay--IF I CHOOSE TO. It was an individual basis only here. I go to her with my breeding/show/basenji questions and I also go to Teresa of Hestekin Hills. I talk to alot of breeders actually, and I dont like people saying things that--in my opinion-- seem like your insisting ill be a puppy mill or a backyard breeder. I AM NOT NOR WILL I EVER BE ONE. I care about this breed and I will not put them through that type of situation. I have an adoption contract stating that they are to be returned to me anytime in their lifetime or any reason. I will always take a puppy back. I have many things in there. --My application was copied and revised, with prior approval, from Teresa Hestekin.

Now I dont want us to be on the wrong foot as I do not know you, and you do not know me. If youd like to continue talking about this in email, feel free to email me at barklessdogs@hotmail.com

Please, if you are going to say things like that about me, do it to my face and not on a public forum. To me, that is just rude and inconsiderate.

have a nice day

• Is your dog Missy, her offspring and the sire listed in the Basenji Pedigree Database? If not, please e-mail Sally Wallis and give her the information. I attended a dog auction in SD several years ago and am wondering if the Bs that were for sale there are related to any of your Bs. They were APRI registered. They were owned by a woman in SD who was a USDA licensed dealer/breeder but at least two of the female Bs were originally from a breeder in western MN, Daniel Kuehne, another USDA licensed breeder who in July 2008 had 200 puppies and 349 adult dogs. I believe Missy is a half sister to my Bambi, a rescue from the dog auction, via the sire whose kennel name was Kalahari.

• First, I said nothing that was inappropriate for the forum. Not one single thing was not on target about what should be done. It contained no attacks on you. Simply good solid RESPONSIBLE advice.
    Second, nah not going there.

But I do suggest that your comment that you want to GET 5 generations is perplexing. IMNSHO, you START with a dog with at LEAST 75 (hopefully more) percent of EACH of 5 generations titled to start with.

And: I dont PLAN on breeding her unless I can get a title. If i find a stud that matches her genetics. I HAVE read up on things,
    A title isn't ENOUGH. A stud that matches her pedigree would be what… almost any mediocre pet? Matching a pedigree means you have enough information from health testing titling, and health testing of OFFSPRING, to really know what they produce. You don't have that for this dog. And the comment about her letting this year's go unlimited but next year not has my head spinning. It is obvious that you have not read much of value. A responsible breeder decides on the quality of the pups and pedigree, not a year, when and which pups to let go to potential show/breeding homes. Period.

Done now. I recognize when a topic is dead.

• The problem I have in seeing you as a responsible breeder is that you are already advertising a possible litter for 2011 when your bitch will not even be old enough to have an adult hip rating from OFA. The Canine Health Information Center requires OFA Hip rating, CERF exam, OFA Thyroid testing, and Fanconi Marker Test for a CHIC certificate for basenjis. This information is most helpful when it is part of a big picture of testing including results for parents, grand parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc and CERF and Thyroid testing repeated as recommended to catch changes. Without the big picture you will only have the snapshot of your dog at that one moment and not have much to work with to predict future issues.

• @lvoss:

The problem I have in seeing you as a responsible breeder is that you are already advertising a possible litter for 2011 when your bitch will not even be old enough to have an adult hip rating from OFA. The Canine Health Information Center requires OFA Hip rating, CERF exam, OFA Thyroid testing, and Fanconi Marker Test for a CHIC certificate for basenjis. This information is most helpful when it is part of a big picture of testing including results for parents, grand parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc and CERF and Thyroid testing repeated as recommended to catch changes. Without the big picture you will only have the snapshot of your dog at that one moment and not have much to work with to predict future issues.

yikes, thats like encouraging a teenage girl to start having children.

Suggested Topics