• awww - everybody's stories are making me want to get a 2nd Basenji now. haha I think if I was allowed, I would take in every pet that ever came through our Humane Society though.

• When I was at the Seattle Dog Show, I met with one of the breeders there and asked her if I could smell her Basenji. Oh, how I took in the deepest breath and was just greated by a warm, soft smell. It was heaven. Funny, I often do that to my cats - just stick my face on their fur and breathe in. My special cat Barney smells like caramel - no kidding. The other two don't really have a distinguishable smell. Oh that basenji smell was soooo good. Dogs are so into sniffing each other to gather information - who are you, what are you like, are you nervous right now, did you eat something better for supper than I did, etc. The breeder's basenji just smelled of love, kindness, warmth, intelligence. Hmmm… maybe I have a dog nose.

• Just wait until you 'smell' your own! Seriously, I smell my boy's feet almost everyday. They smell like chips!! And when he's sleeping in his little bed, sometimes I lie down and put my face in his tummy and just smell him.

I'm a freak…see my flag?

• Thanks for the 'warnings' and stories, everyone. 🙂 It all just makes me even more excited to have my own little one.

• Jibini came with a warning label stamped on his backside. I thought all Basenjis did? 🙂

His says "BASENJI'S GENERAL WARNING: This Basenji may be habit-forming; one almost always leads to another. Use of this Basenji may increase the risk of heart-warming emotions, high-pitched noises, and incoherent baby talk, especially in men. This Basenji may cause irrevocable damage to your bank account, furniture, wardrobe and possibly your social life; and you are at great risk of enjoying every bit of it. This Basenji is not a typical alternative to another breed of dog. Quitting Basenjis Now Greatly Decreases Your Chance At A Fulfilled Life."

Tana didn't have a label; but I figured it didn't matter since I was already hooked 🙂

• We've had She-Ra for four years now, and the following is some of the stuff I "warn" people about at the dog park/on walks/ etc. when they ask about our dog:

• She's spoiled my wife for all other breeds. We've talked about other dogs but only Basenjis will do.

• You will get a bath every night. No exceptions. The pack doesn't sleep until everyone gets a "good night" kiss. Or three. Or eight.

• If You Leave It Out She Will Get It. <- The Cardinal Rule.

• If She Gets It You Will Not Have It Anymore. <- Corollary to the Cardinal Rule.

• And of course the rule we all know by heart now: A Tired Basenji is a Good Basenji.

• How do you get a tired Basenji?? haha My husband took Tika for a 7 mile run/jog/walk yesterday, and when she was done, she wanted to play with her toys! But, torchsong, I love your list - it describes the breed perfectly!

• @torchsong:

• If You Leave It Out She Will Get It. <- The Cardinal Rule.

• If She Gets It You Will Not Have It Anymore. <- Corollary to the Cardinal Rule.

Amen. We warn all our guests; if it's on the floor or within his reach, it's Paco's.

• @TikaLynn:

How do you get a tired Basenji?? haha My husband took Tika for a 7 mile run/jog/walk yesterday, and when she was done, she wanted to play with her toys! But, torchsong, I love your list - it describes the breed perfectly!

not the solution for everyone, but my answer is "get a malinois". :p
    Now, how to tire a malinois?

• Didn't think I could be converted did I, well how wrong can one person be !!!!

I have had Dobes for many a long year, but decided to down size. Dobes will always be the love of my life and I still have 2 and prob one more. However into my life came Cooper back in Jan 2008. Well…............what can I say, this whirl wind shot through the house like a rocket. The Dobes thought about backing their bags................as did I on several occasions !!!! It wasn't easy getting used to another breed even though I'd done years of research. The times I was asked would I have another and the times I answered no never !!!! The ones in the know said give longer you'll change your mind. Well............I have !!!!. I'm having a rest this year, no Dobe puppy or Basenji but no doubt a certain breed with a very curly tail will take up residence in the future !!!!!!!!

Marianne x

• I think they were created like babies - no matter how mad you can get at them, they are so cute they get by with it. Addiction, no doubt.

• agilebasenji - funny you say that, because in the next year, that is actually our plan!! we have been considering various breeds, and I just love shepherds, so that is the direction we are leaning…

lately tika has been excellent about running alongside us as we ride our bikes. she is not getting worn out, but she is having a lot of fun doing it, and it does at least take up her energy for a little while once we get home!

• How true. I'm surprised no one has started Basenji Anonymous, LOL It's like pringles can't have one. Although I have just one now. I have owned Basenjsi for 30 years. I tell my dog loving co-workers about Kay-Dee's antics and they love hearing about her. She goes a lot of places with me and she has her own fan club.

Suggested Topics