• @EskiLovr:

When people who own shelter dogs learn to reply to the question "what kind of dog is that" with the answer, "He/she's a RESCUE dog" with pride and dignity, and can get the awe and respect they deserve for giving an orphaned pet a second chance, THAT'S when the status will be placed where it deserves. When there are competitions that allow people and pets to be recognized not for inbreeding to the point of ridiculousness and genetic disease, to preserve some "desired trait" but for the love and devotion in both pet and owners hearts, THAT'S when the situation will be just.

I don't see it happening, but I can dream.

I just wanted to say that I am very proud of my rescue dog. Because of his appearance, the question often comes up, which gives me ample opportunities to extol the virtues of adopting from a shelter. For me, adopting from a shelter was the right thing. My next dog will probably come from BRAT (or a similar rescue group). However, it would make me the happiest person in the world if shelters and rescues were no longer needed and I had to get my next dog from a breeder. Wouldn't that be cool?

• @lvoss:

I disagree about there being more publicity for conformation showing than for the events that are open to all dogs such as FlyBall, Frisbee Dog, Agility, Dock Diving. My local morning show highlights those events fairly regularly because they are fun to attend and make feel good news. Every Pet Expo I have been to have demos of these events but rarely, only one that I have attended, has a demo of conformation showing. These events do get alot of attention, but again, it comes down to the individual to pay attention to what is out there. Most people who participate in organized events with their dogs have a level of commitment that you don't usually see with the general public. It is not a lack of activies nor a lack of publicity that is the problem, it is the amount of time the average person is willing to invest in their relationship with their pet.

Very true.
    Your average citizen knows far more about Flyball dogs, Frisbee dogs, Dock dogs, etc. than have a clue about showing – how it's done, what the dogs are like, or even when local shows are held. Any "fun" event is a TV news story while dog shows in town barely get a blurb.

A side note:
    I've had people tell me they'd never want a show dog because they want a dog that will be a family pet and be able to play with the kids, go on hikes, etc. One woman even told me she thought it was cruel to have a show dog because she didn't feel it was right to keep dogs crated up all the time. LOL
    WHAT????

• Yes, there are lots of mis-information about show dogs and showing dogs… My dogs are my pets first... and do coursing at the same time as showing in 99% of the cases... and of course now that they are older and their showing is over, they are totally our pets....

But you know of course, we have "wash" and "wear" show dogs... many people see ones like Poodles that are highly groomed and think they have a horrible existance... when in fact for many of them they love it... while they are being groomed, fluffed, and groomed some more.. they are getting lots of attention... and if you are ever at shows, take note how many are on the grooming tables with no restraints at all... just laying of the table enjoying life...

• I do see this a mixes not being allowed in activities. I think all dogs should do rally, obedience and lure coursing events…its good for the dog and mostly fun for the whole family.
    I see this as Designer dogs mutts given higher status as dogs from shelters.

• Sorry, I meant to type I don't see this as mixes not being allowed in activities.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I do see this a mixes not being allowed in activities. I think all dogs should do rally, obedience and lure coursing events…its good for the dog and mostly fun for the whole family.
    I see this as Designer dogs mutts given higher status as dogs from shelters.

Well, personally, I don't care for the idea of designer dogs, because they are advertised as 'the best of both breeds' and there is no way to tell if you will be the unlucky consumer to get the puppy that gets the worst of both breeds…for instance, and nervous, shedding, giant labradoodle with absolutley no self control (I've seen a few of those).

And I have met more than one puggle, that while adorable, was like a giant nose, an insatiable stomach with an obstinant mind of its own...very hard to get to focus; but still very lovable.

But you still can predict a little more about what you might get with a 'known parentage mix' than you can with a shelter dog where there is completely nothing known about its ancestory.

What I object to the most is people paying insane amounts of money for a designer dog, when there are suitable dogs for their family at the shelter...I guess buying into the hype about designer dogs.

• Andrea
    My heavens..that is exactly what I was trying to say…mostly.
    Thank you for putting it in such a smart manner.

You wrote.But you still can predict a little more about what you might get with a 'known parentage mix' than you can with a shelter dog where there is completely nothing known about its ancestory.

Don't you think some mixes show the breed that they come from?
    Lab mixes often show a lot of lab, same with GS...
    The extra is a question, but as the dogs are older and mostly temperment tested, its not like your getting an unknown personality...

• <

• APDT offers rally obedience for all dogs. There are not many trials here on the West Coast but there are more in other parts of the country.

• The Evergreen basenji club in Seattle has wonderful lure coursing and rally training.
    The basenji weekend is Aug is a great way to see b's do all sorts of activities.
    The dogs doing rally and lurecoursing are my fav…

Suggested Topics